this is why i do my own rotations

watching this vid go to around 30 mins and watch this dealer tech bang the lugs on. then later he uses a torque wrench. well of course its gonna click. its not under torqued , but the opposite .

Yeah, I don't like the way he uses the impact gun followed by the torque wrench. All that tells him is that the caliper hold down bolts & wheel lug nuts are at least what the torque wench is set for, not torqued to spec!

If the impact gun put on the bolts/nuts over spec for example, followed by the torque wrench set for only spec then he really doesn't know what spec each nut/bolts are set to.

Otherwise, he's quite efficient at his job. The owner must have been feeling a brake pulse which is why the tech only turned the FRONT rotors and not the REAR and NO BRAKE PAD REPLACEMENT...along with new MICHELINS.

I’ve been doing my own for a while now, which isn’t always the right thing (covers get left off, various unapproved mods). But at least I know who to blame.

Bit bummed at my current shop. I bought a set of new tires for my CRV, and wanted the best old tire rotated to replace the 20 year old spare. Didn’t happen. Knew I should have bought 5 tires and learned how to do 5 tire rotations. My fault.

Our 2 year old / 50kmile hybrid hasn’t been back to the dealer once since we brought it home. If I didn’t have to do safety inspections I might well buy my own tire balancer and not “have to” go to any shop.

I had a larger than average tire purchase to make which involved buying 3 sets of tires and 4 vehicles.
The manager had to pay attention a little.
I watched the unkempt, slob "techs" holding their impact wrenches on lugs for 20 seconds at a time at this joint.
I softly mentioned that I'd want to simply torque all the lugs on myself and that the manager could MENTION THAT ON THE INVOICE.
This must've appealed to his legal senses (no liability on that score) so he agreed.

It went smoothly. When one of the hairy puss wads asked me why I wanted to do this I told him I bought extra cheap rotors and didn't want someone to warp them inadvertently.
So, is it a lie when you snow some garbage person to prevent him from destroying your property?

This is one of my pet peaves! I have already had them back off the lugs and re-torque them. They don't like it, but they do it.
When one of my tire places get it right the first time, they get the good rating on Maps or something.

I change out winter tires on my truck which is an opportunity to rotate. While the tires are off it’s a great time to lube the upper and lower ball joints and the tie rod ends, rather than grunting underneath the vehicle. ( useful for those with zerk fittings) :D For the rest of the fittings I get down and dirty during my oil changes.

Last edited:
The FB forums are pretty interesting with nearly constant posts about dealership techs who clearly don't care at all. Brandnew $75K trucks in for their first oil change and tire rotation and all four rims are scratched and the lug nuts damaged, the oil doesn't register on the dipstick, and the are grease fingerprints all over the new leather interior. The vehicle is returned to the customer as if nothing happened and these mistakes are not acknowledged until the customer complains.

I've brought the RX 350 in a few times including the first oil change and while the vehicle wasn't damaged, the oil tech monkey over-torqued the plastic oil filter housing which broke the next time I changed the filter - something that has since never happened on two Toyota products when I was the previous person to change the filter. I'm convinced the warped rotors on the RX 350 at 25k miles were because I replaced the tires at 23.5k miles and they over-torqued the lugs.

Toyota dealerships seem to be particularly bad with not respecting customer vehicles but it is all of them to some extent - I think the techs have a $20K vehicle attitude (not that this is acceptable on any vehicle) even though people are now bringing in $80K trucks.

It seems to just be a general lack of caring about their job or other people's property.

Last edited:
I bought snow tires+alloys from Tirerack last December. Took the car and the ties to a local approved installer. I preset my torque wrench to the prescriber 105ft-lbs. I handed it to the guy doing the install. As descried above, he proceeded to use an impact gun to install the lug bolts, and then checked them with my torque wrench. I didn't say anything, but I "un-torqued" each lug bolt and properly torqued them as soon as I got home.

Our 2 year old / 50kmile hybrid hasn’t been back to the dealer once since we brought it home. If I didn’t have to do safety inspections I might well buy my own tire balancer and not “have to” go to any shop.
I don’t think I’d bring a new car back to any dealer. And interestingly, I have always taken my 2007 BMW to the dealer for state inspections. Never once in 16 times was anything ever recommended. Up through 2020 I would get a free bmw loaner car so the $38 was well spent, considering garages get $42 with a $29.95 coupon.

I always fear rim damage and expect balance issues. I do check for loose lugs but dont always back them off. Maybe if I just did new rotors. Hate going to tire shops. They all seem to have the same level of service. Sketchy

Had some over-tightened wheel nuts once by a tyre shop. Terribly stupid and sloppy workmanship. I always check the wheel nuts myself now when i get home from any tyre purchases, especially before going out of town too. Just as long as you don't do what one dope did that I knew. He put lanolin onto his 4WD's wheel studs to protect them from moisture and dirt ROFL - and when he went to change a tyre out bush a year or so later the heat and dust from braking etc had totally set the lanolin spray like glue and he could not undo the wheel nuts! Even when he got carried back to town the tyre shop had a helluva time gettin' the nuts off. Luckily they were good old steelie Sunraysias and there was easy access to the nuts.
It is WD40 or maybe a tiny dab of anti seize (on big threads) for me. Never lost a wheel yet.
Also, a thread clean-up on older cars makes a hell of a lot of difference to your tyre changes too.

I watched the unkempt, slob "techs" holding their impact wrenches on lugs for 20 seconds at a time at this joint.

When one of the hairy puss wads asked me why I wanted to do this I told him I bought extra cheap rotors and didn't want someone to warp them inadvertently.
So, is it a lie when you snow some garbage person to prevent him from destroying your property?
Why would you do business with people you think so little of? If I thought my plumber was a “slob”, my barber was a “hairy puss wad” or my banker was a “garbage person” I’d do business elsewhere. Do you not have better options available to you?

watching this vid go to around 30 mins and watch this dealer tech bang the lugs on. then later he uses a torque wrench. well of course its gonna click. its not under torqued , but the opposite .

I don't see much movement of the torque wrench, seems to be INSTANT click on everyone of the lugs except 2 ish of the wheel lock nuts he barely impacted on. He could of easily not impacted the whole bunch like he did to the wheel locks. You would think if you were doing a video you would make sure you "look" like a craftsman, when you are not.

Why would you do business with people you think so little of?
Good question, that. The manager I dealt with was real good. It wasn't until I got into the process that I saw the garage help.
You gotta keep something in mind. While their bad posture and 'slow foot shuffle' is visible from afar, you don't get to see the pained expressions on their faces or their impact wrench habits until you're under way.
That I could stay there and jump in with my "specific torque" need made the affair survivable.

I will not be going back there as I do have options.

I'd be more worried he removed all the lugs and then left without taking the wheel off.
I rotate my tires every 2nd 6000 mile oil change, that's at 12,000 miles. Ford specs rotate at 10,000 miles for my car. I get Discount Tire notice email that says rotate and balance every 6,000 miles. I view that as a chance for them to tell me I need to spend money for other things I don't need. I can rotate while the oil is draining and be done in less time than driving to their shop and waiting around for them to o it.

Back