Thinking of getting a larger hard drive for my desktop

You are going on 6 years' worth of data on a fairly small SSD. . What type of files is eating your memory? If you have lots of image files, and you probably do, you may have derivative files (scaled images, RAW and jpg files, etc) and you may not want to keep all of them. You should go through them and delete the ones you don't need or want. Also get rid of programs you don't use.
Only about 60 GB of images and I regularly delete the pictures in the recycle bin.

Looks like you have lots of pictures. I would make sure they are backed up regardless of a replacement.
Every month or two I upload them to my Google Drive and copy them to an even older HDD, flash drive and my laptop's drive.

Are these mostly pics of cars you’ve sold? If so and no emotional attachment I’d start deleting there.
The photos, yes. Not sure about he emotional attachment but do like to look back sometimes on the ones I had years ago. I mean, would you delete photo's you took on vacation years ago, photos of places you lived in, in the past, or pictures of long gone pets?
Get the 2TB drive.

Add it as a second drive.
Copy/Move your pictures, documents etc to that drive and update the Shortcuts to reflect the new location.
If you are not going to update the OS, at least move the bulk of your data to a different device.

Your OS and applications can live on the 500gb drive and your user data on a second drive.
Already have an external back up drive. Rather keep everything I use on one drive instead of having to go between two. Did that with computers years ago and found it cumbersome. The whole point of a larger drive would be to not have a second one.
What are those Mercedes and Volvo Virtual PCs ?

Check what that 33.8gb unknown folder is about too.
Mercedes and Volvo service manuals. That 33.8gb looks to be related to the Mercedes and Volvo manuals.

33.8.jpg

Samsung 870 EVO two terabyte from NewEgg…
Took 6 years fill up 500GB. Would never get any use out of 2TB compared to 1TB for half the price.

Only about 60 GB of images and I regularly delete the pictures in the recycle bin.

Every month or two I upload them to my Google Drive and copy them to an even older HDD, flash drive and my laptop's drive.

The photos, yes. Not sure about he emotional attachment but do like to look back sometimes on the ones I had years ago. I mean, would you delete photo's you took on vacation years ago, photos of places you lived in, in the past, or pictures of long gone pets?

Already have an external back up drive. Rather keep everything I use on one drive instead of having to go between two. Did that with computers years ago and found it cumbersome. The whole point of a larger drive would be to not have a second one.

Mercedes and Volvo service manuals. That 33.8gb looks to be related to the Mercedes and Volvo manuals.

View attachment 138601

Took 6 years fill up 500GB. Would never get any use out of 2TB compared to 1TB for half the price.

No, I wouldn’t delete family photos but if I were a car dealer I wouldn’t keep 90 pictures of every car I ever sold, hence the part about emotional attachment.

Thats only the high end 990. He wouldn't be getting one of those for that machine anyway.
I wouldn't trust Samsung after this

SSDs are always best backed up by HDDs IMHO, you can at least recover an HDD by a recovery company whereas an SSD is impossible for the layperson.

It's not that I hate W10, I just hate the user interface with all those tiles and bizarre symbols instead of labels. I have it on my laptop and navigating around the desktop is a pain.
Tiles? Is your laptop stuck in tablet mode? It's a 30-second fix to disable the tiles/tablet mode.

My W10 machine doesn't look much different than my old W7 machine when it comes to user interface.

Depends on what your aiming for.

Server side, then WD white label drives shucked from easystores if that still a thing. HDD. Cost Effective $15-25/TB but must buy at least 8TB min.
Desktop side, pick up a 1TB SSD in any flavor.

Im still in the SSD boot drive and HDD save all the junk camp, but I understand if thats not for everyone.

but do like to look back sometimes on the ones I had years ago. I mean, would you delete photo's you took on vacation years ago, photos of places you lived in, in the past, or pictures of long gone pets?
That's emotional attachment. He said keep those.

Delete that 33gb folder. That's the original files you downloaded and you've unzipped them and created the other (2) folders, so that's duplicated space.

Every Crucial SSD comes with a license of Acronis. I'm not sure which Acronis it uses but you can clone everything from your old SSD to your new one while utilizing the new space. That way you don't have to reinstall any programs.

Every Crucial SSD comes with a license of Acronis. I'm not sure which Acronis it uses but you can clone everything from your old SSD to your new one while utilizing the new space. That way you don't have to reinstall any programs.
I'm glad you mentioned this! Cloning or ghosting is the way to go. All @atikovi has to do is copy/clone (using cloning software of course) the 500gb onto the boot partition and then use the new drive as the old drive, it would be identical upon startup. Only difference MORE SPACE!!

I don't see the need to clean up space and delete stuff from the existing hard drive.. Why? If he didn't need it it wouldn't be saved. Upgrade to a bigger drive, keep everything! easy..

View attachment 138601

I find multiple drives easier because I can organize based on the purpose AND if I get a new machine, moving the data is as easy as moving the drive.

But, whatever works for you. Both ways have pluses and minuses

That's what I did in 2016 when I installed the current SSD, but when I go to the Acronis site now, it doesn't show Windows 7 compatibility.

These days, I only buy refurb computers, mostly Hewlett Packards. I look for ones with 32GB and an i7 Intel processor, and a SSD of at least 512 GB, I have a portable 5 TB Western Digital USB hard drive that I can move between computers, and use that to store large data files.

Those refurbs, both laptop and desktop, are bargains. I bought my first PC in 1982, spending $3000 of 1982 dollars on a "portable" Compaq that weighed about 36 pounds. I think one of my arms is still an inch longer than the other.

Back