thinking about a new kia soul lx

please school me. i may need an additional car in my stable. it will be used for suburban chores (no daily commute anymore) and an occasional 400 mile one way, all day, i95 highway, road trip, along the east coast. it will also be my nondriving wife’s introduction to driving.

i usually buy used but crazy car prices for even a beater lead me to buying new this time. we recently went to a car show and sat in a bunch. what attracts us to the soul? decent price/availability. base model omits most nannies. roomy/airy inside. easy in/out on my knees. decent outwards visibility. useable back seat.

i dread the dealership dance so haven’t yet test driven a soul. are there any surprises? is it noisy, uncomfortable on highway? is its “ivt” “normal” in function and sound? is it straightforward in maintenance needs and schedule? i can afford pretty much whatever i want, but i don’t like to spend stupidly, is the soul a decent value for money?

an suv is pretty much out of consideration because wife likes something car-like and less bulky.

thanks in advance for any user reviews of the new soul.

This is BITOG. Korean vehicles are generally hated. If you are buying a new Kia you will have a 50,000 mile bumper to bumper and a 100,000 mile power train warranty. I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe and it has 50,000 miles on it and no issues. You want get much owner reviews on here.

I've had them as rentals and would consider one, my only real complaint is the short wheelbase. If you hit a bump on the highway, you get this weird rocking horse sensation - it just can't handle rough roads at highway speeds well.

I’d get the price - then compare at least 3 competitors at that price point …

Wife liked them but wound up choosing the Forte instead which as far as I know is the same powertrain as the Soul. Haven't had it long enough to have any issues. I find the powertrain to be just fine for a relatively inexpensive compact car. I don't mind the IVT at all. I've owned multiple Kia/Hyundai vehicles manufactured between 2001-2021 and they have given us good service. My own experience has been that they were more reliable than the domestic cars we owned and not far behind the Japanese cars we had. I will say though, that they do seem to look a little rougher on the used market sometimes than some of their competition. My guess is that the average consumer who spends the extra $$ to buy something like a Honda Fit may also maintain their vehicle a little better than the average buyer of Kia cars.

Daughter has the KIA Soul Sport with the 1.6 Turbo, loves it, driven it a couple of times, nice little runner.

1645505093301.jpeg

While I don't like their looks, my adult son's 2013 Soul was a very solid car. Excellent build quality and he drove it past 200,000 miles with very few problems. By my standards (low) it drove well and was a comfortable ride for its size.

Having said that, I would spend some time on their forum. It seems that quality problems crept in during later years. You need to investigate if these have been resolved. It's getting tough to find cars without any problems.

They’re not a bad little commuter car. The rear suspension sucks though. The rear suspension is incapable of absorbing any kind of pot hole, and you will definitely feel it throughout the cabin. I’ve had a few Kia Soul rentals and the rear suspension obtrusiveness is the same each time.

Last edited:
None of those competitors have a 50,000 mile bumper to bumper nor a 100,000 mile power train........
I can see the knocks already (not your post but above)-although they are just a little more subtle.
Might need new glasses though
There is no 50000 mile warranty. "hyundai limited warranty" is 5yr/60k and powertain is 10yr/100k

There is no bumper to bumper.. for example the radio and battery are 2 years/24k

There is no 50000 mile warranty. "hyundai limited warranty" is 5yr/60k and powertain is 10yr/100k

There is no bumper to bumper.. for example the radio and battery are 2 years/24k
At least with the 2022 Carnival the radio/battery get a 3 year 36k. 10 year 100k power train is only for the original owner as well.

Modern Kia seems to be really well made but time will tell.

There are some exceptions-yes. Should have said limited bumper to bumper. But then again-STILL BETTER than the competition.

Sucks about Kia’s radio/infotainment system warranty.

Hyundai went to 5yr/60k mile warranty on radio/infotainment systems for MY2016+.

At least with the 2022 Carnival the radio/battery get a 3 year 36k. 10 year 100k power train is only for the original owner as well.

Modern Kia seems to be really well made but time will tell.
The OP was talking about buying new......

Back