Things we see driving around - original content (pictures you snapped)

Lake Muskoka:
CC741F6A-4460-4DA5-87F5-22C7E5BB7ED2_1_105_c.jpeg

9BD44890-9A56-4249-9936-8616E006463D_1_105_c.jpeg

D04213B0-FA8A-472D-9DC0-AEC5250E2F68_1_105_c.jpeg

I love springtime because our coastal hills and valleys turn from sun-bleached beige and brown to fresh and vibrant with green grass and yellow flowers. The weather is mild and when the sun is out it's very pleasant even with a breeze.

There are lots of tall mustard greens but these hills are covered in sorrel aka sour grass (edible).

I pulled over for some farm animals.

Goats and alpaca named Jimmy the A*****e, a querulous ruminant. He's the one with the vertical neck left of center.

I love springtime because our coastal hills and valleys turn from sun-bleached beige and brown to fresh and vibrant with green grass and yellow flowers. The weather is mild and when the sun is out it's very pleasant even with a breeze.

There are lots of tall mustard greens but these hills are covered in sorrel aka sour grass (edible).

I pulled over for some farm animals.

Goats and alpaca named Jimmy the A*****e, a querulous ruminant. He's the one with the vertical neck left of center.

What road is that in the third and fourth picture?

Scott

What road is that in the third and fourth picture?

Scott
That's Stage Road. Going south on 1, Stage Road meets Hwy 1 maybe a mile north of San Gregorio Beach. Stage Road then goes east for a while before going south and parallel to 1 to first San Gregorio and then to Pescadero. Stage Road and Swanton Road, the latter is farther south, are both great rural driving roads that are also very popular with bikers and bicyclists.

Last edited:
That's Stage Road. Going south on 1, Stage Road meets Hwy 1 maybe a mile north of San Gregorio Beach. Stage Road then goes east for a while before going south and parallel to 1 to first San Gregorio and then to Pescadero. Stage Road and Swanton Road, the latter is farther south, are both great rural driving roads that are also very popular with bikers and bicyclists.
In my heyday of ultra endurance cycling those roads were part of my Saturday training rides. It's a beautiful area. I'd bang out 120 to 130 miles on Saturday, in addition to the 150 to 200 miles I'd ride during the rest of week. My "short ride" on Sunday was Los Gatos to Saratoga, up Hwy 9 to Skyline, Skyline to Page Mill, Page Mill to Foothill Expressway and back to Los Gatos from there.

Scott

Cobbled roads fell out favor after the mid 18th century and brick roads became popular in the early 20th century. Very nice. I have driven on wet cobbled roads. It was very slippery.
We have some cobblestone streets like that in Charleston, SC. Seems they were taken out of the holds of cargo ships and had been in the ships for weight when the ships were coming in for a load of rice or cotton. Reperposed as pavement.

In my heyday of ultra endurance cycling those roads were part of my Saturday training rides. It's a beautiful area. I'd bang out 120 to 130 miles on Saturday, in addition to the 150 to 200 miles I'd ride during the rest of week. My "short ride" on Sunday was Los Gatos to Saratoga, up Hwy 9 to Skyline, Skyline to Page Mill, Page Mill to Foothill Expressway and back to Los Gatos from there.

Scott
How have your knees held up? Just curious.

How have your knees held up? Just curious.
I've never had problems with my knees. In 1998 I did end up in the hospital after a crash. Two broken bones, a torn rotator cuff, severe lacerations, and a concussion so severe I was knocked unconscious and had temporary amnesia. I didn't even know who my wife was when she first got to the hospital. That was scary! It took me a year to get over that concussion. Headaches and dizziness were overpowering.

Scott

Last edited:
I've never had problems with my knees. In 1998 I did end up in the hospital after a crash. Two broken bones, a torn rotator cuff, severe lacerations, and a concussion so severe I was knocked unconscious and had temporary amnesia. I didn't even know who my wife was when she first got to the hospital. That was scary! It took me a year to get over that concussion. Headaches and dizziness were overpowering.

Scott
Were you wearing a helmet?

Were you wearing a helmet?
Yes, I was wearing a helmet and Oakleys, plus all the usual road bike kit - including shaved legs! In the course of going down (on asphalt pavement at 25 mph) I led with my left arm, which broke my elbow, middle finger, and tore my rotator cuff.

Milliseconds later I did a face plant on my chin which caused the concussion. Except for blood neither my helmet or Oakleys had a mark on them. Bizarre.

Accident happened while doing some pace line speed work with my training group. All of us were mega hardcore and highly experienced, but mistakes happen. Two riders in front of me overlapped wheels, which caused the rider immediately in front of me to go down. She (and what a powerful stud she was!) was down in an instant. I ran over her riderless bike as it skated over the pavement in front of me, causing me to get thrown over my handlebars. Everything happened too quickly to react.

Besides being knocked unconscious there were fears I fractured or broke my neck, which required strapping me to a backboard on the way to the emergency room in the ambulance.

When my wife got to the hospital it was quite a fright when I didn't know who she was. I'm not sure who was more freaked out; Sue, me, or the doctors. But, I had full cognitive awareness otherwise. The effects of that concussion lingered for a year - and 25 years later my elbow still bothers me sometimes.

Scott

Last edited:
Back