Thin wrench - maybe set

I need a thin wrench for a specific purpose on the bow thruster on my boat.

May get used once in the next ten years. Don't need Snap-On quality. Lots of sets on Amazon. Any good ones to consider or ones to avoid?

All seem names I have never heard of. At least the $20 to $30 ones.

Buy a cheap combo wrench or set ,(HF PITTSBURGH), of the correct size and grind it/them as thin as needed. May want to throw some paint on it for the rust that will form over ten years.

I have cut two wrenches out of steel sheet. One for a bicycle headset and one for an unusual-size watch caseback. I used a saw for rough cutting, a grinder for getting close, and files for finishing. I'm not sure I'd want to do this if the wrench were rather large.

Last edited:
I’d take a look at Capri. Good tools for the money and they have lifetime warranty at no hassle too. If you order on their website you get rewards points for future purchases too. Tekton is also good but not sure they offer thin wrenches but they do have the same rewards program too.
I second this. I bought a cheaper set first from Amazon, they didn’t last at all. A couple uses and the openings were getting chewed up. Later got the Capri set and they have been great. I feel they are the best you will get for the money. Would have to spend a lot more to get a marginal better product.

If you only need one size, just buy a single good quality wrench.

The only time I've ever needed a tappet wrench was for my '63 Bonneville. There was a 7/8" bolt in between the PS pump pulley and the bracket. Found the wrench in my father's roll away; a 7/8-3/4 Cornwall. It's still there.

I have a 17mm to do brakes on my F150. Only one I've ever needed, and that's every 4-5 years. I have a 6$ Amazon special made in Bukakistania.

Back