They say size matters.... Does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3-4 Harbor freight $99 specials.

I can plumb them all together and run any air tool I need.

Two are permanently mounted in the shop, the other two are portable,

The mounted ones are slaved to the same pressure switch.

Nobody ever said I just got to much air that statement has never been said. I tell people save money buy the biggest one you can afford and can do what you want. I can fill tires or sandblast 7.5hp 80gallon 175psi 30cfm at 90psi never ran out of air but never said I have to much if I could have gone 10hp I would have but haven't had the need for it yet.

Just some old cheap 2 gallon oiless compressor from wallet-mart. It's getting weak now so I may have to get a new cheap one from Harbor-Freight. I don't use them much except to maintain air pressure in tires.

I have 2, a sears 4hp 240v 20 gallon that I've had for 37 years, still works fine. Bought a Ingersol Rand 5hp 240v 60gallon. Have had it 5 years. 1 new pump on it and the second pump has blown a head gasket. A colossal POS If it cycles one or twice a week it's doing something. found that it has more one star ratings on it than all of the other ratings on Amazon

80 gallon 5hp 2-stage compressor with a refrigerated air dryer is what I use, and it is ALWAYS up to the task at hand, with ZERO moisture problems running it hard. With any compressor, if you do not drain the water out of it every time you use it, the hot air vaporizes the water sitting in the bottom of the tank. Paid $1000 for the IR compressor, and another $1000 for the ZEK refrigerated air dryer, but they are both worth every penny. 2-stage compressors are a must if you want a reliable air source with pressure to spare.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Size does matter for air tools. I have a 27 Gallon coleman compressor. There are times when I wished I had a 60 gallon compressor.

THIS. I have a 32 Gallon Craftsman and it does all I need with air tools - ALMOST. It will run my impact and air tools but painting it cannot keep up with me. I will soon be adding a larger compressor to my shop for painting. I also have a few small pancake and portable compressors - HATE them. Air up one tire and its running and can't keep up. Total waste of money, to me, if you buy a small compressor like this.

I have an 8 gallon 2hp Harbor Freight unit. I think it's 4.5cfm@90psi. I use it for staple guns, tire fills, back flowing air filters, etc. Had it for 7 years, worth it's weight in gold. One repair, replacement of motor start capacitor. $8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back