The Winery Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just discovered this "power trio"

Billy Sheehan, Richie Kotzen & Mike Portnoy, they've been together since 2012 but I only just stumbled over this live video from Japan when looking to see what Billy is doing these days (I used to be a Mr.Big fan)

What a great combo of amazing talent that I find very listenable. Enjoy
smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdfqZoz2ajE

stro_cruiser, have I ever told you the story of Billy Sheehan buying my wife and I drinks at a Niacin concert?

Originally Posted By: Stelth
stro_cruiser, have I ever told you the story of Billy Sheehan buying my wife and I drinks at a Niacin concert?

...tell me more
smile.gif

Their second album "Hot Streak" is phenomenal. Not a bad song on it and is very well recorded. I did not like their first album at all though.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Originally Posted By: Stelth

...tell me more
smile.gif

OK. I believe San Diego was the first stop on Niacin's tour supporting Time Crunch. They played at a little bar called Brick By Brick, which hosts some pretty big names for how small it is. My wife and I went, even though Niacin isn't really her cup of tea. I would say there were less than a hundred people there, maybe a lot less. Many of them were Dennis Chambers worshipers. So at the end of the show, we hung out, and sure enough, the guys came out to mingle. Dennis Chambers was pretty much mobbed when he came out, and I shot over to see Billy. I first shook his hand, and then I said, "Hey, Billy, how about if I buy you a beer?" I knew he was a beer drinker. He said, "That's a great idea!"

Before I could even react, Billy blurts out, "I've got a better idea! I'll buy you a beer!" and he went running backstage to get his money. I don't know if you've ever met Billy, but he's a pretty hyper guy. So, sure enough, he comes back out, and asks my wife and I what we want (I actually drank an O'Douls), and goes to the bar and gets the drinks. What a guy. So we chatted for a while, I had him sign a CD, and we left.

Just BTW, I'm a bass player myself, so I like talking to the bass players. My daughter and I went to see King's X at the same venue, and I managed to shake Doug Pinnick's hand and talk to him for a few seconds.

Thanks for sharing, Stelth!

Cool story. Im not a musician but have always been fascinated by drummers.

I saw Mr.Big live on the Tour to support the "Lean into It" record, either 1991 or 92, I forget. It was at Newcastle City Hall up in the north of England where im from. After the concert we went to the back of the building and eventually they came out and signed things for us. I do remember that one of the lads that was with me was a bass player and was fascinated by Billy's' fat finger-end from years of playing
smile.gif

I looked up Niacin and was surprised!....its amazing how we build up an image of these people from what we see them do. I never would have thought that Billy would have been involved in something like that!

In those days, I was a huge Iron Maiden fan, went to many gigs and met them on three different occasions. Such nice guys.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back