The truth about oil filter end caps FRAM Filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
An oil change with a Fram orange can is better than no oil change.
And a punch in the gut is better than a kick in the crotch.

The very end was the key. A good seal. And that is the interaction between the ADBV and the base and filter end. That also should include the spring on the dome end. Silicone is good but how it seals is the key. Nothing wrong with metal end caps and IMO a better seal cause you can use a tighter spring and the seal with metal would be tighter.

Perception... One way or the other. The bypass valve setting may be of interest. The video showed the previous Ultra with metal end caps and stated one layer of synthetic and one layer of cellulose. So what is the advantage of the cellulose for the bottom layer in this and why did it change? (I think I know but do not want to stir things up)

One instance where the same silicone ADBV on a Tough Guard Fram and an Ultra Fram filter had two very different results in starting noise a Chevy truck. Only difference is the filter media and how the media end caps are sealed. Same manufacturer but different results.

Found a couple sites at 25/98 … so around what the M1 is … only not an extended use filter …
I'm only doing 5k-7k on them …

I won't personally buy orange cans, but I don't see anything wrong with them being used for 5k OCI. If there was a serious issue, there would have been an engineering change, because at some point, engineering becomes cheaper than lawsuits.

Originally Posted by Bill_W
The video showed the previous Ultra with metal end caps and stated one layer of synthetic and one layer of cellulose. So what is the advantage of the cellulose for the bottom layer in this and why did it change?

At what time in the video did they say that?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The video showed the previous Ultra with metal end caps and stated one layer of synthetic and one layer of cellulose. So what is the advantage of the cellulose for the bottom layer in this and why did it change?

At what time in the video did they say that?

I had to double check Zee... Cause the video does show the previous generation Ultra that did have synthetic and then cellulose layer. What he said at 2 minutes about the media blend, He was referring to the Tough Guard filter. Still that ultra had a second layer of cellulose and that model Ultra was good for 15,000 miles. (Not 20,000 miles)

What i heard is that the Ultra has wire backing and thus needs the metal end cap because the the filtering material with the wire backing is much thicker than the cellulose/synthetic material used in the EG.

Nissan filters often have fiber end caps. No one ever says a peep about those. Nissan engines are known to explode after 50k miles simply because of inferior filters, right?

Toyota filters often have no end caps; often sealed with a direct-applied resin. Toyota engines are known to explode after 50k miles simply because of inferior filters, right?

RR/Bently filters often have fiber end caps. And the buyers of these cars are known to use the cheapest thing they can find, right? Never mind that RR/Bently cars maybe average $250k or more. It's worth the risk to use an inferior fiber disk so "Sweetie Bell" can be stranded on her way to the salon, right?

Fram EG filters have a resin impregnated fiber end cap, sealed to the cap with adhesive. We've seen bazillions of engines explode because of the EG end cap, right?

If you prefer a metal end cap, then by gosh go buy a filter that has one. But there is ZERO proof that a filter without metal end caps is inferior simply based on the feature. There are times when metal end caps are preferred by the maker because of other characteristics (eg ... wire backed syn media needs a deeper bed of sealant because the edges of the wire are not as cleanly cut). There are times when filter makers choose metal end caps perhaps just out of convenience; less manufacturing variation to deal with from an R&D standpoint. But in and of itself, a lack of metal end cap does not imply a lack a qualify; just a lack of understanding on the part of the person who has a bias.

Full synthetic media is metal ends, paper or paper synthetic blend can be different and O.K. The ends as far as I see serve as a gasket with the ADBV. And a little leak, not so bad when running but holding the oil with the engine off will drain the filter. (for filters that are not dome down) The question I have is why the supercars and RR and Bentley have a very expensive paper filter.

The question I have is why the supercars and RR and Bentley have a very expensive paper filter.

The OEM Mann filters used on most Mercedes with a polyester fleece has foamed-in end caps, as do most of the German OE filters these days. They seem to work for their OCIs.

It's pretty common to see a Fram OCOD on a vintage Ferrari.

I ran the OCD for decades, paper end caps and all, never a problem, ever. Purolator on the other hand, I'll pass.

The question I have is why the supercars and RR and Bentley have a very expensive paper filter.

Because they work.

In my 20s and early 30s, I used the Fram orange can filters and never had a problem. Of course I was using conventional and changing every 4-5k miles, and I always kept up on vehicle maintenance which is probably the biggest reason why I never had a problem.
Now I prefer to spend $1-2 more on a filter with "different construction" (just wanting to avoid being flamed by that one guy when I posted similarly last year, LOL).
I agree with the statement that an orange can oil change is better than no oil change.

I demand a Polygraph Test. No 2nd Party issued either.
02.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by FastLane
My Dad has always ran Fram. His engines last forever.

That's a scientifically unverifiable statement. No one on this board will be around when forever comes.

Lol. My dad will be haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back