The percentage on a resistor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure,it was recently hooked up and running,then after 5 minutes or so it started frying. Unit is not new at all.

2W is one Watt better than 1W, sure. But not necessarily better in application. A 1W resistor that is surge rated might work better than a 2W.

I have to wonder what took these two resistors out. 0.1ohm 1W should be good for amps of current. Perhaps age snuck up on them, I guess.

If nothing else, I'd go metal oxide and see what happens.

Yes, measure physical size, that will help make sure you get something that will fit back into where the bad ones came out of.

Make it a flameproof resistor.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: supton

If nothing else, I'd go metal oxide and see what happens.
Is metal oxide better? If so, how?

That's an odd combination of resistance, power rating and tolerance! You didn't mention the application, nor what happened to the other one. I'd up the power rating, if it'll fit.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
If you are smoking that resistor you got a problem.
If you try to fix the problem with a bigger resistor you will have a bigger problem (ohm's law)
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
It was first time.I had it running for a while, not sure what caused it to let the smoke out.

Resistors are also rated for how much power they can take. How did you come up with it's a 1 Watt resistor in the first post?

that resistor may be designed to fuse if the coil driver shorts.
so upsizing the wattage may not be a good thing.
5% is more standard nowadays and will be fine.
my educated guess is the coil driver died and the coil itself may have shorted turns just waiting to cause a repeat smoke show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back