The new 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe is the bomb

With comments like that you could just substitute Jeep or stellantis and a majority of people here would agree :ROFLMAO:
(but not me)
Lemons out there all over.. was the palisade a first model year.. that is always chancy any brand.

some people like ugly cars.. I think it looks alot better in person.. but not really my cup of tea either.. of course I've owned 5 subarus and those have never had style.
Ours was not 1st model year. I’m not sure what it was but not 1sf. It’s probably a function of social media and people airing out their concerns and frustrations, but seems like way more lemons or serious issues lately than say 10 years ago like when I was a dealership tech in the real world.

The new Santa Fe even has the side hinge for external mount accessories like the Defender.

This won't age well. That's about all I can say. This is the Asian reincarnation of the Pontiac Aztec. Either Hyundai hired some ex-GM designers, or they had lots of Breaking Bad fans on the design team. Give this thing five years of an average Joe who is not car savvy, and the transmission will be toast, the motor will be on its last legs, and the exterior and interior will become eye sores. Cheap plastics don't age well...

maxresdefault.jpg

Sometimes i like the looks, others, i think it's overwrought. Knowing it comes with a DCT is a deal breaker for me.
And although the OP has cited one review. Other reputable reviewers have raved about this vehicle.

Last edited:
We saw a 2024 Santa Fe this weekend while at the car wash and had to go to the dealership to check it out. My newest car is 13 years old belove Honda Fit Sport so I am not accustomed to all the latest features and doodads. If I wasn't so frugal and the sticker price wasn't so high before the 10% they-wish adjustment, I would probably bought one this weekend.

The car simply looks like a Land Rover Defender. The third row is difficult to get in but roomy enough for anyone below 5'6" but overall the vehicle is on point.

Upon watching review videos, I ran across a relative successful car channel with around 500k subscribers indicating their 2024 Sante Fe had already went through one transmission and is likely needing another replacement soon. The owners buy cars to review as a business and they are generally big fans of Kia and Hyundai. It is hard to say these two brands hadn't knock things out the parks in term of quality improvement and having some the best designer admirers in the industry; many of their vehicles are basically Walmart variants of European cars costing 2x-3x as much and likely 1/3 as reliable. Therefore, the brands are winners for most consumers. But it seems they are having quality issues a lot lately by using mismatched major components such as engines and transmissions. For this transmission problem in particular, it seems that the transmission can't handle a vehicle of this size and turbo-level power output.

The Santa Fe isn't cheap either, having sticker prices similar to Grand Highlanders; therefore, it looks like my dream of owning a reliable Defender will be put on hold a bit longer. That and the thought of paying annual personal property taxes, insurance, and registration on a $50k plus vehicle is just too much to justify and even process for now. I'll change the oil an the Fit and take it on a toll expressway for some Italian tune-up and call it a day.

What're your thoughts on Kia and Huyndai lately and have you seen the new 2024 Santa Fe?
Respectfully, Any vehicle would be an upgrade over the Fit. Just for giggles go test drive a Nissan Versa and get back to us....

27 miles from new, it needed a new transmission

A few hundred miles later, it seems it might need another 🤨

Anyone have in depth knowledge of the current H/K DCT?
I know Ford couldn't make one, VAG kinda figured it out
Who'd they buy/copy this one from?
Because clearly it's not doing too good 😔
I've heard complaints about the DCT in Sorentos

Do your research there was a bad batch of control boards its not the dct components doing a ford powershift imitation.(unfixable)

Honestly the biggest let down in recent memory has been the whole Mazda cx-70 debacle and their 8speed dct.
Which has also seen improvements but they had a license to print money if the cx-70 was a tiny bit bigger cx-60 and had a ZF-8 speed.

I like it. The interior is awesome and its length is perfect to fit in my garage. Except for the Hyundai thing. LOL. Maybe Toyota will modernize the Highlander or maybe a Jeep GC will fit the bill. Not that I need a new vehicle. My Camry only has 148,000 miles on it.

Google F150 10 speed transmission issues and get back to me...That's one vehicle right? You don't know if it's anecdotal or not. I know the F150 is garbage because I owned one.

Last edited:

The C&D review seemed to have a lot of drama for only 40K miles. Would suck for a buyer who'd expect daily driver use out of the thing.
Fuel economy is also not all that good.
Overall, a hard pass from me, not that this thing is on my list of desirable cars anyway.

Not sure why you feel that way; this isn't a 1989 Hyundai Excel. Just a personal data point on an older Santa Fe: we have a 2007 Santa Fe GLS in the family (my wife originally and now my daughter's) with over 251,000 miles on it.
Yeah, it is one data point, and the example seems like it must have been a pretty large % of highway miles to rack up an average of 15K/yr for that long.

(also see the links in the above article)

The question is not, will some survive a quarter million miles but rather, are your odds better with most other major brands?

The Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder design bureau is hard at work again.
Hyundai moved on from the "Fluidic Sculpture" design language, and fully embraced the "Funky Brail" style. Me thinks they fired all those top-shelf high dollar people that they got from VW/Audi and BMW, and hired their interns who used to be Liberal Arts students, the same folks who used to write the lubricants section of their Owner Manuals.

I absolutely love my 2022 Kia Soul. It's objectively ugly, yet, I still like it. As far as packaging and interior space there is not a small car I can think of that does it better. The engine/CVT combination is really very good as is the steering and driving experience. Kia/Hyundai seem to do all of these things well and I see all the same attributes done well in the Sante Fe.

Now, if other Kia/Hyundai owners and I can get our vehicles to 100k miles without the engine or transmission grenading then I call that a win. Yes, 100K miles is a low bar but it gets me where I need to go with the Kia.

I like the way it looks. Kinda like a big Scion xB. As far as reliability, who knows. There are lemons of every make and model. Case in point: My 2021 F150 is in the shop for its 5th recall at 42,000 miles - this time, they are replacing both rear axles and hub assemblies as an "interim repair". Unfortunately I have the three-quarter floating axles (max tow) and they don't have a perm fix for the axle bolts breaking. Currently riding the bus to work lol.

Back