The donut tire on my car. Let's get me home safely!

OKAY! So. Likely due to some unforeseen puncture somewhere in my commute home during the "storm" yesterday.. Passenger front tire caught a flat.

Now the donut is on there.

Seriously thinking of leaving work earlier today before the temperature really drops...

Purpose of this thread: In conjuncture with the Black Ice thread, should I not exceed 50MPH and 50 miles on the Donut... And should I leave work before the temperature goes to below freezing?
IMG_20201217_112634780_HDR.jpg

If you can, it would be wise to be sure that spare is inflated to the proper pressure. From your picture it looks like it says "INFLATE TO 60 PSI".

Some of the doughnut spares are 50 PSI, and some are 60 PSI.

Using it when it is under-inflated is asking for it to fail.

Flat tire is always a good reason to leave work early. You don't want any more drama on the way home.
I somewhat wonder how far I am from you. I'm in NJ too.

Okay, I think you're right. And it is DARK out.

Let me finish unloading and I'll just make up the hours tomorrow. I'll go speak to a Supervisor soon.

It says don't exceed 55 mph right on the side wall.

But you already knew that.
General rule of thumb for donut or "space saver" spare tires was.. 50MPH max for 50 miles. That's what I "knew."

I also THINK I've seen donuts that say 65psi and 70 psi. Not exactly sure, though or I don't remember exactly.

Been awhile since I looked at the sidewall of a donut. Including that one.

I was lucky to get that on today...

I'd put it on the rear, if possible, also.
Not sure if your sig means you own a Subie or are making a joke - but I believe that the Subie manual says to put the space saver on the rear and swap another tire to the front, if you get a front flat.

I'd put it on the rear, if possible, also.
Not sure if your sig means you own a Subie or are making a joke - but I believe that the Subie manual says to put the space saver on the rear and swap another tire to the front, if you get a front flat.
lol. Yes.

Screenshot_20201217-184030.png

Okay, so. Just so everyone is on the same page... flat didn't happen on the SUBARU. (That one has Pirellis on it, and is getting JDM EJ20.)

Flat happened on this car.

Screenshot_20201217-185138.png

They do need a lot of pressure, and are prone to leak down while stored in the trunk.

Guess that's a taurus? Why did you do a screen grab of a picture of a car covered in snow? Anyway, I agree, go slowly.
Hope you get it fixed within 50 miles-- IDK if taurus trannies have a fragile differential pin like many other FWD cars.
They'll break, if you do lots of one-legged peel-outs or maintain different rotating speeds at different corners for too long.

Guess that's a taurus? Why did you do a screen grab of a picture of a car covered in snow? Anyway, I agree, go slowly.
Hope you get it fixed within 50 miles-- IDK if taurus trannies have a fragile differential pin like many other FWD cars.
They'll break, if you do lots of one-legged peel-outs or maintain different rotating speeds at different corners for too long.
Dude, that's my car lol.

I had to do it like that on the quick because I did not originally save the picture when I snapped it yesterday.

It gets a new belt tomorrow too. Its squeaky.

depending on car and distance home I'd probably make sure that was on the non drive axle.

not driving on a temporary spare in dark icy conditions would be reasonable...
It’s better for it to be on the front for control purposes. There are many automotive articles that state have stated this. Even with standard tires, keep the ones with the most tread depth to the rear for control purposes.

To the OP: Temp Spares can go 300 miles and normal hwy speeds. however, the reason why it is recommended to stay 50-55 mph is due to heat build up. Due to their smaller size, they do not dissipate heat as quickly as a standard size tire, therefore increasing the risk of blowout. The reason why those warnings are there is because stupid people will use them as a permanent replacement instead of repairing/replacing the damaged tire.

It’s better for it to be on the front for control purposes. There are many automotive articles that state have stated this. Even with standard tires, keep the ones with the most tread depth to the rear for control purposes.

To the OP: Temp Spares can go 300 miles and normal hwy speeds. however, the reason why it is recommended to stay 50-55 mph is due to heat build up. Due to their smaller size, they do not dissipate heat as quickly as a standard size tire, therefore increasing the risk of blowout. The reason why those warnings are there is because stupid people will use them as a permanent replacement instead of repairing/replacing the damaged tire.
You mentioned it before I did... Work offered a perhaps unique perspective on the situation.

They told me that it was actually a better thing that I had the full size tires on the rear axle. They said because that way it would keep the car from fishtailing, and the drive wheel having a smaller tire shouldn't really matter if I'm driving safely because the weight of the engine is over the tire and as mentioned in the post I quoted I should be able to maintain control as-is.

it is already a touch below freezing here I want to say it's about 30° outside and dropping so. Only 3 hours left perhaps I should just stay and avoid making a problem.... I mean, hey, why not, my Subaru missed this one anyways.

It is arguable where dissimilar tires are concerned. I'd agree in standard tires.

My common sense meter says, front wheel drive is getting the same tires. Because same power to ground, same front braking and same front balanced steering. The spare can go on the rear.

I made it home without incident.

I will find out what the (intermittent) squeaky noise is tomorrow.

I think it is old belt.

Back