The cochineal insect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been growing some [censored] pear cactus in my front yard, in anticipation of going to a gravel/cactus theme, which seems appropriate for a place with almost no water. One very promising plant, which sprang up pretty quickly, developed some white puffy patches, which I assumed were a fungus. These deposits spread, and the plant died. Recently, the largest cactus that I have so far grown from a cutting began developing these same spots. I really didn't want to lose this one, so I Googled "cactus fungus" in hopes of finding a solution. Boy, did I!

It turns out that the cochineal insect will attach itself to a [censored] pear cactus, and insert its proboscis into the plant and live out its life there, drawing sustenance from the cactus. It's the female that does this, the males are smaller, and mostly mate and die. The female will deliver a number of nymphs that are carried on the wind to hopefully find other hosts. Based on what I've seen, they will also sometimes colonize the same cactus that the mother is on. Enough of them on one plant can kill it. That explains a lot, given my experience.

Turns out, you can just scrape them off, along with their waxy deposits. It's recommended to also use insecticidal soap, which I will have to pick up.

The cochineal insect is also used to make cochineal dye, which is still a very popular scarlet dye.

I'm just glad that I don't have some sort of deadly cactus fungus lurking in my soil.

Even more interesting than the cochineal insect is BITOG's censorship of the word [censored].
smile.gif

Inreresting.

I have been thinking on starting a trivia thread.
you may wellhave beaten me to it.

If it's not one thing, it's another.

Insects, Fungus, - I found it's best to stay one step ahead of these problems.
That can be difficult to do.

What greatly helps me:
1) Take the time to walk around and inspect the plants, looking for anything abnormal.
2) When a problem is found, determine exactly what it is (insect or fungus).
3) Go to a Nursery and buy the product that will treat the problem.

If your not sure what is causing any problem, don't waste time, cut a twig and take it to the Nursery.

Don't waste time/money spraying a product that will not treat your specific problem.

My local Nursery has been of great help.
Careful of the advise you get from big box stores.

Last edited:
"Attach itself to a [censored] pear cactus, and insert its proboscis into the plant and live out its life there, drawing sustenance from the cactus. It's the female that does this, the males are smaller, and mostly mate and die. The female will deliver a number of nymphs that are carried on the wind to hopefully find other hosts".

[ The males are lucky that they are able to mate and then die.]

Typical of the female species. today this lady bought my daughters horse trailer. She was pretty. She told me how she used to have horses a fancy trailer truck bla, bla, bla, But then she went through a terrible divorce and couldn't afford all that. Now she is remarried and The new hubbie bought a nice house that they are doing a remodel on and are buying new horses and a shelter to keep the horses etc.

OK, if we're going there, I have to mention the dung beetle. As you may know, many of the dung beetles collect the dung and roll it into balls. In some species, the males roll their dung balls back and forth in front of the females to attract a mate. Some human males also try to attract mates by parading in front of the females showing off their [censored].

I've had this problem on PP in my Arizona desert garden. If the plant is heavily infested, I would cut it back to the ground and start over. I would also use malathion with a hose in sprayer for small to moderate infestations. I have also used a 2800 PSI to remove the scale from the pads and it wasn't successful.

I just had two cacti die - one died from the inside out and became really brittle and shattered when I touched it, the other turned to black tar inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back