The Best Winter Tires Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice on my wife's old Impala made that car absolutely unstoppable in the snow ! Got 7 seasons out of them, went on 12/1, off 4/1 and some of those winters were lean and warm, great traction and wear !

I find it amusing that people brag about being unstoppable in snow.
I thought one of the reasons for winter tires is to be able to control the car including stopping too.

Just couldn't resist.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Nokian hakka flakka flames for sure. By far one of the best and most durable snow tires out there. A favorite of most winter drivers who know anything about snow tires.

+1

OMG ~ did you say something positive about GY on BITOG ?
27.gif

And on what vehicle?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
OMG ~ did you say something positive about GY on BITOG ?
27.gif

And on what vehicle?

I've had GY Ultra Grip Ice WRTs and Eagle A/Ss on my FXT and liked them both!

Seen right on … Most of my snow time has been outside of USA … yield that time … but GY has done me right in the rain (big deal in SE Texas) and off road … A set of slicks does good on dry roads ~ so still marvel at that revelation in ratings …
Hard (70k) tires chip up on our ground quartz roads … no silver bulletproof tires …

I have Mich xice and they have decent breaking and much improved traction in all snow depths but on ice I cannot tell, slush not so good. But overall much better than any all seasons I have owned. I have gotten 4 winters out of them and they are not even half worn.

I may be in the minority but I like Firestone Winterforce. I have them on the CR-V and run them all year. The wife puts over 250 miles a week of interstate driving on them and they are doing great. Good in snow and decent in ice. They even do good on dirt/muddy roads. Probably not the most "high tech" tires but they're certainly better than all-seasons.

Last edited:
Have about a half million miles on a couple versions of Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grips on several police cruisers. They are excellent at what they do BUT I don't pay for them and longevity isn't an issue for me. They seem to be somewhat limited on sizes. I bought a set of the Continental Winter Contact for my wifes Explorer and they are a similar pattern, nice and quiet. She commutes 50 miles on back roads to work, so far so good.

I had Bridgestone Winter Duelers (back when they were called that) on my Ford Expedition in Vermont. Great winter tires. For a truck, the new winter truck tires, called Blizzak now, would be an excellent choice.

I've had several sets of Nokian winter tires. Simply awesome in snow, but particularly good on slippery, icy, wintry mix type conditions. The new Nokian line has several options. All are excellent. The Nokian tires would be my recommendation.

I just put four Nokian WRG3 on my Tundra. Several trips planned for up north this winter. They are surprisingly inexpensive. I ordered them from Tires by Web Nokian

You should avoid all season tires and you should avoid all terrrain tires that get the mountain snowflake symbol solely by virtue of their tread void ratio. They might be OK in deep snow, but fall far short of the traction offered by genuine winter tires like the Nokian or Blizzak.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
For truck tires Bridgestone Blizzaks are called Bridestone Dueler. They are great winter tires but will wear out fast if you run them in warm weather. They have a soft rubber that has microscopic holes in it that allow the tire rubber to get through the microscopic layer of water that forms on the surface of ice when a tire comes into contact with it. Getting through that surface layer to the hard ice is why they have traction even on ice without studs. Don't expect the kind of traction you have on dry pavement when you are on ice, but if you take it easy you will be able to have complete control on ice.

They are NOT called Dualer.
Dualer is Bridgestone's truck tire for everything else except winter. Winter is designated as Blizzak as any other Bridgestone's winter tire except their designation starts with DM. Current Bridgestone Blizzak for trucks is DM-V2.

That's incorrect. Blizzaks are for all of their studless winter tires, whether it's WS, LM, or DM. Bridgestone has a line of studded winter tires line called Noranza that's available in certain markets.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
I find it amusing that people brag about being unstoppable in snow.
I thought one of the reasons for winter tires is to be able to control the car including stopping too.

Just couldn't resist.

lol.gif

Go to tire rack and look at the reviews/ratings by hundereds of drivers.
You will get a general idea of what tire does well in each situation.
I went with Michelin x-ice i3 due to really good ratings and VERY good tread wear.
The x-ice i2 were not so good.

But your own situation is different from ours. I think reviews/ratings will give you a good idea of how the tires will handle.

Thank you for your emergency service!!!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I had Bridgestone Winter Duelers (back when they were called that) on my Ford Expedition in Vermont. Great winter tires. For a truck, the new winter truck tires, called Blizzak now, would be an excellent choice.

I've had several sets of Nokian winter tires. Simply awesome in snow, but particularly good on slippery, icy, wintry mix type conditions. The new Nokian line has several options. All are excellent. The Nokian tires would be my recommendation.

I just put four Nokian WRG3 on my Tundra. Several trips planned for up north this winter. They are surprisingly inexpensive. I ordered them from Tires by Web Nokian

You should avoid all season tires and you should avoid all terrrain tires that get the mountain snowflake symbol solely by virtue of their tread void ratio. They might be OK in deep snow, but fall far short of the traction offered by genuine winter tires like the Nokian or Blizzak.

Ran Nokian WRG3 tires for 52,000 miles on a CRV. Many winter trips to Stowe VT in all conditions. Fabulous tires.

Sam

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
For truck tires Bridgestone Blizzaks are called Bridestone Dueler. They are great winter tires but will wear out fast if you run them in warm weather. They have a soft rubber that has microscopic holes in it that allow the tire rubber to get through the microscopic layer of water that forms on the surface of ice when a tire comes into contact with it. Getting through that surface layer to the hard ice is why they have traction even on ice without studs. Don't expect the kind of traction you have on dry pavement when you are on ice, but if you take it easy you will be able to have complete control on ice.

They are NOT called Dualer.
Dualer is Bridgestone's truck tire for everything else except winter. Winter is designated as Blizzak as any other Bridgestone's winter tire except their designation starts with DM. Current Bridgestone Blizzak for trucks is DM-V2.

I apologize for being wrong. I was repeating what I was told a few years ago by a tire supplier that sells Bridgestone tires.

Thanks for setting things correct.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I don't get it. No Nokians to fit the 2017+ 18" CRV rims. That's terrible.

Um, the hakka r2 is available in 235/60r18

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Please provide a link to Discount and Tire Rack. Searching around on their sites gives me a head-ache and comes up empty. Thank you!@!@!

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Please provide a link to Discount and Tire Rack. Searching around on their sites gives me a head-ache and comes up empty. Thank you!@!@!

It's listed on Nokian's website
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/

Just because DTD doesn't have it listed it doesn't nokian doesn't make it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back