The best explanation on how a 2-cycle engine works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
I had 2 Yamaha RD350's that would scream on the street a Yamaha IT465 enduro that had boatloads of torque. Yes a 2stroke can be made for low end torque as the IT465 was exactly that. All the magic happens in the exhaust as the expansion chamber is tuned to use the moving hot gasses volume to PULL in the fresh fuel charge. The misconception of peaky horsepower IMO came from dirt bikes that were always run on the ragged edge around a track.

Yes. I had a radical flat track 305 that would sputter up to 6000 rpm or so and then start pulling the front wheel as fast as you could grab gears. No low end at all, when I started it in the morning I sprayed starting fluid into it for the first 1/4 mile. But great fun on the street, ran right with a new 900 Kawasaki!

The good old days eh! Peaky 2 strokes with big carbs made for motors that would barely run at low rpm, but made up for it once they rev'd up enough. I had an '76 TX340 Polaris sled with 2 carbs, free air, that would barely idle at 1800 rpm, but was fun on a cold day. Warm days weren't so good I used to follow my buddy close enough to get snow onto the cooling fins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back