The best compliment you have received from the Bos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Retired after 34 years at the same job, (with promotions), but never got a compliment from any boss I ever had.
O, well!

^ this

Last mob I worked for (25 years before we were sold), commentary included incompetent, unprofessional and criminally negligent (generally by people who were relying on me to fix their sins)...LOLing at that guy, he presided over some monumental disasters that I uncovered during plant failure investigations.

During my turbine phase, got a public "gobsmackingly brilliant" from the GM in a management meeting for fixing this without taking the rotor out of the machine (for scale those are 14" blades".

When we were sold, got a letter from the CEO stating that I was the best engineer in the business...

Will be 30 years next Jan in total, and the attaboy's are pretty few and far between.

Originally Posted By: Silk
That they offer me a job is pretty good....happens a lot to me.

That's the best of all...optionality

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
My direct boss, parts manager, says I am his encyclopedia of random car knowledge. My service manager says the whole place goes to expletive when I am not there. My old General Manager threatened to take vacation time away from me because he hated hearing from the service manager about how the place had gone to expletive with me not there.

What happens if you get struck by lightning?
Win the lotto?
Get sick?

?????

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
My direct boss, parts manager, says I am his encyclopedia of random car knowledge. My service manager says the whole place goes to expletive when I am not there. My old General Manager threatened to take vacation time away from me because he hated hearing from the service manager about how the place had gone to expletive with me not there.

Win the lotto?
Get sick?

?????

That's the problem with being a single point of excellence.

The best compliment I ever received at work was from a customer, which is pretty much like the boss, right?

I travelled to Dearborn from Schaumburg for a 9AM meeting, my company forced us to fly out as early as possible rather than pay for a hotel room and we also had the unfavorable time change working against us.
I wasn't in the best mood when the technical people from the Big 3 automaker we made chips for started filtering in...one guy I had met with before saw me and immediately said, "This must be a big meeting, they sent one of the REAL MEN out here!"
He was mostly referring to me being a designer instead of a customer interface type, but I also took it as meaning that he respected my abilities.
I didn't mind getting up at 2AM or whatever after that!

Win the lotto?
Get sick?

?????

In situations 1 and 3 I couldn't care less. Situation 2 hopefully it would be enough money that I could convince the owner to sell to me.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes

Win the lotto?
Get sick?

?????

That's the problem with being a single point of excellence.

Last 12 months have heard increasingly that's the sign of not being a team player, and lacking the ability to develop people behind you.

It's not a criticism I'm making, just modern speak for (if I can get anyone off the street, their pay expectations are naturally lower)...We need to value capabilty over experience is the icing for that cake.

To management, employees are just a tool in order to get a job done. Management's attitude is that there will always be someone available to get the job done. In a big company, nobody is indispensable.

Positive feedback from time to time is good, but if it never materializes into anything else, then you know it's time to move on.

My last place was sort of like that. Things were moving along quite well for me, lots of good reviews that got me more responsible positions, until I hit an invisible ceiling. Still lots of great reviews and "atta boy", but the message between the lines was that I was a bit young and have to wait my turn. Message received lol. No bridges were bunt though, so who knows what will happen.

"If you went out and got killed on your motorcycle tomorrow, we could probably do with out you".

True story, from a manager I work for that had zero management skills, and frankly needed some training or be appointed to cleaning the bathrooms.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
"If you went out and got killed on your motorcycle tomorrow, we could probably do with out you".

True story, from a manager I work for that had zero management skills, and frankly needed some training or be appointed to cleaning the bathrooms.
eek.gif

I must of got to work for his twin brother:

Originally Posted By: Pandus13

My first boss speech at my departure: "Cemeteries are full of irreplaceable people".

eek.gif

Do we work for the same boss?

Originally Posted By: grampi
eek.gif

Do we work for the same boss?

How many brothers that [@#@#@#@#] guy has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back