the 3,333 mile oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of you guys probably go longer than the standard 3,000 mile oil change interval, but here's one for the folks that do change at 3,000 miles.

A while back, at another site, the Canadian folks mentioned they use a 5,000 kilometer oil change interval. It's easy to remember when to change the oil; 5,000 km, 10,000 km, 15,000 km... This bugged me because with a 3,000 mile interval the numbers constantly change and I have to refer to my service logs to see when the car is due for an oil change.

So I adopted a new system, the 3,333 mile oil change interval. The oil gets changed at 3,333 miles, 6,666 miles, 9,999 miles, 13,333 miles... Now I don't have to refer to the service log, I can always tell at a glance when the next oil change is due.

It may seem a little odd, but it's good if you suffer from CRS.
wink.gif

It's a good system but it's still easier if you go with 5000 mile intervals, or even 10,000 mile intervals.

smile.gif

except that 9999 to 13333 is actually 3334 miles.

Do you think that the oil could hold out that long ?
grin.gif

to me the 3,000 mile oil change is the "idiot light" for oil changes. Any car, in any driving condition, with any driver, with a US oil will last under those conditions.

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
to me the 3,000 mile oil change is the "idiot light" for oil changes. Any car, in any driving condition, with any driver, with a US oil will last under those conditions.

Absolutly correct. But I have my reasons for following the recommended 3,000 mile oil change interval.
smile.gif

The 3,333 interval is just a thought, something to make it easier for those who think:
"Oh boy oh boy oh boy, it's time to change my oil!"
(wife shrugs)
Co-workers point out the Quickielube is easier...

Shannow, yeah that 9999 to 13333 is a killer on my nerves, but I like to live "on the edge".
wink.gif

I like it. That would keep me from having to consult my logbook when nearing a change, and I could plan my Saturday mornings farther ahead (or the wife could for me).

Three, six, nine,
The goose drank wine.....

[ January 13, 2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: TheLoneRanger ]

I like to go by time... partially because my township does a recycle drive every spring

2002 S2000: 7500 miles per year, almost all summer driving, parked in garage.

10W30 Mobil-1 and Honda filter change once a year.

1999 CR-V: 14000 miles per year, parked in garage.

5W30 API-SL Conventional oil every 6 months, new Honda filter once a year.

1988 Accord: 9000 miles per year, parked outside.

OW30 Mobil-1 and PureOne filter once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back