The 1911 has been officially retired from the U.S. Military

I carried an issued 1911 in my flight gear in 1995 when flying combat missions over Bosnia. The M11 Service pistol was still in the future, and a creative ordnance officer in the F-14 squadron was able to get a bunch of 1911s. I carried it magazine loaded, hammer down, chamber empty (condition 3) because we weren’t sure how well the safety could hold against the forces in an ejection.

I carried an issued 1911 in my flight gear in 1995 when flying combat missions over Bosnia. The M11 Service pistol was still in the future, and a creative ordnance officer in the F-14 squadron was able to get a bunch of 1911s. I carried it magazine loaded, hammer down, chamber empty (condition 3) because we weren’t sure how well the safety could hold against the forces in an ejection.
Hard to imagine a scenario where you would need a fast first pistol shot in an F14. If I had to eject over enemy territory or somewhere in the bush, I would much rather have a light carbine attached to the ejection seat somehow than a pistol on my person.

Hard to imagine a scenario where you would need a fast first pistol shot in an F14. If I had to eject over enemy territory or somewhere in the bush, I would much rather have a light carbine attached to the ejection seat somehow than a pistol on my person.
I would too, but…

Not nearly enough space in the gear for anything more than a pistol. Under severe G and then whipped by the air blast, survival gear is rigorously designed, tested, and controlled.

Stick your hand out the car window when driving at 70 MPH.

Now, imagine it is 10 times as strong, that is a 200 knot ejection.

Now, imagine it is 40 times as strong, that is a 400 knot ejection.

Now, imagine it is nearly 100 times as strong, that is a 600 knot ejection.

Every bit of gear has to be able to withstand that (even if your body cannot).

So, you can’t just add stuff very easily. The 1911 fit in the gear.

When the A6 squadron I deployed with went to Australia the pilots and NFOs carried revolvers probably .38 caliber. One told me it was to protect against angry water buffalos in the outback. Seemed plausible.

1697056768746.png

Wikipedia

When the A6 squadron I deployed with went to Australia the pilots and NFOs carried revolvers probably .38 caliber. One told me it was to protect against angry water buffalos in the outback. Seemed plausible.

View attachment 183015

Wikipedia
Probably old S&W Victory models left over from WWII. I carried one of those as an A-4 pilot in Vietnam, as well.

Even special forces units? I read somewhere lately that they still issued 1911s.
The Marine Special Ops Command (I might be butchering their name) ordered some 1911s a few years ago, and now they’re the last ones to move on to the M18. Thus bringing the era to a close.

I'm actually surprised it was still in service until now. Figured it was retired decades ago.

It was more or less retired in the mid 1980's in favor of the Berretta 9mm (M9) so not sure what the criteria is here for "retirement". Some special ops type still carried it or more likely upgraded versions because they liked the theoretical takedown power of the .45ACP, but those are hardly standard issue...

The Marine Special Ops Command (I might be butchering their name) ordered some 1911s a few years ago, and now they’re the last ones to move on to the M18. Thus bringing the era to a close.

Some in Delta (1st SFODD) carried them for the "stopping power", others thought they were anarchistic. Most of the original 1911's were **** by Vietnam and needed replacing...

In my Navy days, helicopter squadron, 50+ years ago, we had choice of 1911's (all WWII issue) or a couple of different .38 Special revolvers. The wheel guns were pre model 10 Smith and Wesson K frames. Victory model or similar. Also, old Colts which I think may have been Official Police models. Given a choice, I opted for a revolver when offered one. Pool GI 1911's were known to be pretty sloppy by then. Some Aviators liked the 1911.

Decades later I owned a couple of 1911's and got to like them. A WWII GI Ithaca in great shape and a Colt Gold Cup. I no longer have either. Today, the GI would be worth about 12 times what I paid for it.

The initial Lend-Lease S&W 1909 M&P revolvers to Great Britain were chambered in their cartridge of choice. They called it the .38/200. US calls it the .38 S&W (not Special). The Brits loaded it with an extra heavy bullet of 200 grains. Pretty anemic round even for the time.

When I was in, we had a choice of sidearm:

Glock 17
M9
USP (MK23)

many special operations forces have been using Glocks for 20 years+ now.

Reactions: Ws6
Back