Textured ceiling - how to?

So last winter a pipe broke above our kitchen. I had to cut out a piece to access the burst pipes. Now I have time to work on the fix. The problem is it's a textured ceiling.

How would I redo the textured part in order to match the rest of the ceiling? The texture doesn't have sand and was some sort of thick smooth gypsum applied with a round sponge or something. Went to Menards but the guy there was clueless about helping me.

Here is the picture of the cutout that shows the texture.
Image.jpeg

So last winter a pipe broke above our kitchen. I had to cut out a piece to access the burst pipes. Now I have time to work on the fix. The problem is it's a textured ceiling.

How would I redo the textured part in order to match the rest of the ceiling? The texture doesn't have sand and was some sort of thick smooth gypsum applied with a round sponge or something. Went to Menards but the guy there was clueless about helping me.

Here is the picture of the cutout that shows the texture.View attachment 162903
How big of a ceiling in the space overall?

I suspect you’ll never get a perfect match and will always see it. You may want to consider howmto redo the whole ceiling… sorry…

I am by no means an expert, but I had textured ceiling like that at my old house. Sometime during the previous ownership, the roof had leaked and the leak was repaired, but it damaged part of the ceiling. When I repaired the bad spot, I used a wet sponge with the drywall mud to feather it into something that matched pretty well. JHZR2 is right though, depending on the size, it might be difficult to match.

Reactions: JTK

Here is the picture of the cutout that shows the texture.View attachment 162903

It's done with a brush made for this sort of thing. Amazon, Home depot, Lowes, etc sells them.

In your example the brush was circular and applied with a slight overlap.

Your style is very common so I almost think you can buy the "tool" they use to do this from most big-box hardware stores. It gets "splotched" on (is that a word ?? 😂😂😂) with drywall mud. Couple comments.... 1) Maybe get a piece of scrap drywall and practice how to match the texture as best as you can and 2) you are the only person who will notice this, even if not done perfectly to match. The only other person that will/might notice will be a home inspector when you sell your house.

My texture exactly-Stomp Brush. I have tried to match and it's almost impossible. If you try to feather into the existing you get "double stomped". If you try to sand smooth a width or line and fill in you create an edge. The best i have done is to approach it with an artist eye and touch, and lighting is everything-side light from different views as you go. It is very much something that takes experience and practice, good luck.

The other option is to remove all the texture. If you always wanted a smooth ceiling now is your opportunity.

They sell spray / tube and canned texture products that you can practice with on a piece of cardboard or anything. Spray it on thick and then use a brush or sponge to splotch it to see what you can do. It is not gonna be easy to get that same exact look I can tell you. But u can get it close. You may need a combination of a sponge and a few tiny brushes.
Another option is going to a reputable / popular area paint store and ask them about any of the contractor customers they are willing to recommend to you who work with drywall etc... Sometimes you can get those folks to stop by when they have jobs in your area and they can knock it out in no time for a few $$$. You are correct though. That is going to be tough to duplicate and can only likely be made to look "close" to original.

Other than tear the whole ceiling down and start from scratch, the best you can do is try to match/blend with the old texture. It's never going to be perfect, but does it need to be for your situation?

I had similar texture on the kitchen ceiling of our previous home. All finished walls and ceilings were done with lath-board in this ~1954 built house. I had a copper water line corrode through above the kitchen ceiling from the upstairs bathroom. I had to cut a large L shaped section out to gain access to the plumbing. I was lucky to find a guy who was good at old school texturing patch in the opening with drywall and re-texture that section. You could tell, but it didn't bother us in the least.

Back