Teslas are Crap (long, sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rented a Model 3 for a week and what stood out to me was how poorly built it was. The interior isn't even Hyundai level of quality, let alone Honda. It's also not particularly quiet at high speed as there was just so much wind and road noise. Ride quality is comparable to the average economy car, nothing really special there. My biggest surprise was that charging publicly is not that much cheaper than filling up an economy car.

There has been a chain of criticism of Teslas on “Bob”. They must be crap right. Let’s consider the issues.

• The fit and finish is terrible. It isn’t on my Model 3. It’s comparable to my Honda Accord which most people would consider middle of the pack or better. So maybe not.
  • Teslas are very expensive. When I wanted to replace my BMW, I concluded that BMW had lost its way. So I was looking at Mazda 6s and entry level and used Lexuses (or should that be Lexi). The Model 3 was cost comparable – a bit more than a Mazda 6 and less than an entry level Lexus. So if you’re looking at premium vehicles, maybe not.
  • The seats are uncomfortable. We drove for something like 8 – 10 hours a day on our long trip and didn’t find them uncomfortable. They’re not as good as our ’86 Volvo, but then what is? Similar to the BMW actually. So I don’t think so.
  • The ride is terrible. Not as good as the BMW, but similar to the Honda Accord. The handling is very good by the way.
  • You have to line up to use the (Tesla) Supercharger system. We’ve only used Superchargers about a dozen times, but we’ve never once had to wait. There was much merriment about line ups at Hope BC a couple of years ago. Last time we were there they had doubled the number of stations so maybe that’s old news.
  • EV charging stations are often out of order. Not in my experience. In the dozen or so stations we visited there was only one station at one Supercharger out of order. Maybe other brands of charging stations are often out of order, but not Superchargers.
  • Tesla batteries have an early death. Anecdotal reports are that Tesla batteries are lasting 200 – 250,000 miles. I keep my cars a long time but I’ve never hit 200,000 miles yet so it isn’t an issue for me. A handful do apparently fail early but that’s what the longish battery warranty is for.
  • You will spend hours at charging stations. We don’t. We charge at home except when we’re on a long trip and that takes essentially no time. In fact (other than on long trips) we spend less time charging up that we would filling up. On a long trip you do have to charge up every 2 to 3 hours but it’s for more like 10 – 15 minutes, not for hours.
  • Teslas depreciate. Yes they do. Almost every car depreciates. That’s why I keep my cars almost forever. When I’m done with them (after 18 - 20 years) they’re still in good condition and I typically get $2,000 - $3,000 for them. I hope to do that well (or better) with the Tesla.
  • I am really annoyed that the stereo channel we liked has disappeared and we can’t find it again. So Boo Tesla.
  • People don’t like Elon Musk. He’s a hard working genius, but he talks too much. I don’t care for him either. But what’s that got to do with whether Teslas are crap cars.
My crash helmet is on. Pick away.
Most clowns here do rag on Tesla because they hate Musk. They don't admit it, but they didn't want to see Twitter actually have more than one viewpoint.

Odd but not atypical - opining on something they never owned, touched or deeply researched.

Other just don't like Li batteries.

Plus one of these days we will actually shop for some e-car. Not sure which yet even. We can afford one and it would be an awesome vehicle for the 12-18 mile one way trips we make around here. Easily charged. Never go to gas station.

Drawback, still need truck and long trip vehicle (criticism of electric cars)

Plus one of these days we will actually shop for some e-car. Not sure which yet even. We can afford one and it would be an awesome vehicle for the 12-18 mile one way trips we make around here. Easily charged. Never go to gas station.

Drawback, still need truck and long trip vehicle (criticism of electric cars)
Local use and reasonable length commutes are perfect for an EV. We still have an ICE vehicle and probably will for a long time.

An EV (a Tesla, specifically) is quite capable of long trips but an ICE vehicle is currently better. For anything less than 300 miles (if there is charging available at the destination) a Tesla would be quite convenient. You'd have to do a full charge before starting and again at the end, and one quick (ie partial) charge in the middle. You don't have to stand there waiting for your Tesla to charge. We organized our travel so there was a Supercharger near our destination and we left it there to charge. We were relaxing in our hotel room (with a cold beer) when our cellphone told us the car was now charged (to 90%) and we should walk over and pick it up. I don't like to let it sit with 100% charge. I suppose I could have topped it up to 100% just before leaving but that's getting a bit obsessive.

But an EV only makes sense if you can set up home charging.

I rented a Model 3 for a week and what stood out to me was how poorly built it was. The interior isn't even Hyundai level of quality, let alone Honda. It's also not particularly quiet at high speed as there was just so much wind and road noise. Ride quality is comparable to the average economy car, nothing really special there. My biggest surprise was that charging publicly is not that much cheaper than filling up an economy car.
Maybe we didn’t ride in the same car. Maybe model 3 cars are different where you liven than I.

I recently rented a BMW X5 from sixt, drove it across Texas, and was amazed at some of the issues. It was extremely comfortable and powerful, but had a lot of road noise, poor MPGs, too many nested features hidden in a way that doesn’t make sense to someone who has owned BMWs for the last 22 years (me). Does that make BMW terrible too?!?

And I’m no eV supporter. I’m a hybrid ftw person. But I had none of the experiences.

I tried to find Tesla seats uncomfortable, in the three or four times I’ve rented them. I couldn’t.

I tried to find poor build quality. Maybe not everything is painted factory color behind every piece of trim. Otherwise I couldn’t readily make it out.

Ride was fine. Noise was fine. Sound system was decent.

So I’m just not getting it.

If you want to talk about the cost and speed if charging, I’ll agree 100%. The stupidity of having so many nested controls in a tablet? I’ll definitely stand by that.

But they aren’t as bad as Musk haters would try to make them…

Last edited:
Of course public charging isn’t that cheap. The savings from an EV comes from home charging. Sorry to say but I question your judgement on the rest of it. I’ll call that subjective anyway. I’ll call the interior simple, but I don’t think it feels cheap and I’ve owned many luxury vehicles. It is below my GTI Autobahn interior quality wise, but that’s a premium car in the segment. I’m not a fan of any synthetic leather. I wish they did cloth instead.

But they aren’t as bad as Musk haters would try to make them…
I'm not even a Musk hater nor do I have brand loyalty for anyone, just calling out the quality issues as I see them. The build quality of a Y or 3 is noticeably worse than that of an X or S. I remember when I first sat in a friend's Y...I was quite shocked at how terrible the interior is. I'm not even talking about the fact that it's simple...just the materials used and how rattly everything is. It's quite literally the same materials used in an economy car.

But probably what was even worst was the road noise. Sure at low speeds you don't hear the growl of a motor, but at highway speeds there is an atrocious amount of wind and road noise. I would almost go as far to say that that it's not that much different than a typical ICE. I did notice this was the base model so there was no acoustic glass....but I've driven many ICE vehicles without it that was quieter. Something even like a Camry would beat it on road noise.

And as for panel gaps...I always thought it was just something snobby that car reviewers bring up. I honestly never really cared much for that as a metric but (edit) when I looked at the 3 from afar the gaps were definitely noticeable. I kept thinking the trunk wasn't properly closed due to how large the gaps were.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even a Musk hater nor do I have brand loyalty for anyone, just calling out the quality issues as I see them. The build quality of a Y or 3 is noticeably worse than that of an X or S. I remember when I first sat in a friend's Y...I was quite shocked at how terrible the interior is. I'm not even talking about the fact that it's simple...just the materials used and how rattly everything is. It's quite literally the same materials used in an economy car.

But probably what was even worst was the road noise. Sure at low speeds you don't hear the growl of a motor, but at highway speeds there is an atrocious amount of wind and road noise. I would almost go as far to say that that it's not that much different than a typical ICE. I did notice this was the base model so there was no acoustic glass....but I've driven many ICE vehicles without it that was quieter. Something even like a Camry would beat it on road noise.

And as for panel gaps...I always thought it was just something snobby that car reviewers bring up. I honestly never really cared much for that as a metric but **** when I looked at the 3 from afar the gaps were definitely noticeable. I kept thinking the trunk wasn't properly closed due to how large the gaps were.
When I picked up my Model 3 I was aware of concerns about Tesla build quality (variable panel gaps, orange peel pain, misaligned trim, etc). I was prepared not to take delivery if there were significant problems. So I went over the car much more carefully than any other new car I've ever bought. But I have to say the panel gaps are very even on mine, the paint is smooth, the trim lines up, etc.

There are no rattles after 2 1/2 years. The interior is a simple design but nicely fitted and is holding up well. It's nowhere near as nice as my former 2000 BMW 528i M-Sport which also had the interior appearance package. But that was/is a very attractive interior in a vehicle that would cost at least 50% more. I expect Tesla could install a pretty nice interior too for an extra ten or twenty thousand dollars.

At highway speeds the road noise doesn't seem much different from my Honda. I think my BMW was quieter. But then again both my current Accord and former BMW had very quiet engines so I don't think their engines contributed much to road noise anyway. The new Model 3 is said to be much quieter.

At low speeds the Tesla is very quiet. If anything there is a problem with sneaking up on pedestrians, and with cyclists riding side by side in front of us possibly because they don't hear us coming.

The “Teslas are crap” posts come from those who have never owned one.

Those who actually own them are all fans.

I prefer to develop an opinion based on those with actual experience.

Bashing is specious, easy, gratuitous, and of little value in the discussion.
You say that but I never owned a Rolls Royce either but have driven a few of them over the years and worked on some of the older ones and know enough about vehicle engineering to know they are high quality cars, have wonderful fit and incredible finish using the finest of materials.
On the other side of that coin I have looked at Tesla cars and driven them and took a good look around at places most people would not even know to look at, they are not a very well built car.

The so called giga casting were/are too thin and the strut towers were cracking on all their models. Tesla's fix was to rivet nut a steel reinforcing plate on it, a band aid measure at best. Suspension control arms breaking due to making them out of plastic, plastic seats (vegan leather) on a 100K+ model S is unforgivable, the car is priced the same as an MB S class.
Comparing apples to apples, meaning just the body, suspension and interior, the Model S is a pretty shabby piece, the Tesla interiors are nothing more than a cost cutting exercise.

IMO posting defects like these is far from bashing. These are not defect from just one year or model they are from all models through 2022.

cracked-aluminum-strut-tower-22-model-x.jpg

tesla front casting cracking.jpg

Tesla rear control arm failure.jpg

tesla-calls-front-casting-crack-a-discontinuity.jpg

tesla-model-y-2023-control-arm-broken-.jpg

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...adicts-own-repair-recommendations-220665.html

There are no rattles after 2 1/2 years. The interior is a simple design but nicely fitted and is holding up well. It's nowhere near as nice as my former 2000 BMW 528i M-Sport which also had the interior appearance package. But that was/is a very attractive interior in a vehicle that would cost at least 50% more. I expect Tesla could install a pretty nice interior too for an extra ten or twenty thousand dollars.
The problem is that they don't in the higher priced versions like the Performance or the S or X. The MYP is in a similar price bracket to my SRT, and the difference in the quality and materials selection of the interior appointments is pronounced.

You say that but I never owned a Rolls Royce either but have driven a few of them over the years and worked on some of the older ones and know enough about vehicle engineering to know they are high quality cars, have wonderful fit and incredible finish using the finest of materials.
On the other side of that coin I have looked at Tesla cars and driven them and took a good look around at places most people would not even know to look at, they are not a very well built car.

The so called giga casting were/are too thin and the strut towers were cracking on all their models. Tesla's fix was to rivet nut a steel reinforcing plate on it, a band aid measure at best. Suspension control arms breaking due to making them out of plastic, plastic seats (vegan leather) on a 100K+ model S is unforgivable, the car is priced the same as an MB S class.
Comparing apples to apples, meaning just the body, suspension and interior, the Model S is a pretty shabby piece, the Tesla interiors are nothing more than a cost cutting exercise.

IMO posting defects like these is far from bashing. These are not defect from just one year or model they are from all models through 2022.
Delivering a new vehicle with cracked castings is unforgivable. It's a failure of quality control. Either that part is well designed and needs to be made free of cracks, or (if it really is okay with large cracks) it's way overbuilt and needs to be redesigned.

As we've seen before, Tesla seems to be having problems with early production (the giga press under-bodies being a fairly recent innovation). My guess is that these problems will be resolved. The early Model 3s had numerous body flaws (variable and wide panel gaps, bad paint, poorly fitted tail lights, etc). They don't any more, or at least they didn't on mine.

Yes it would be nice to have higher quality carpets, real leather seats, and wood panels on my Model 3 and I would have paid a modest premium to get them. And I would have preferred more actual knobs and switches. But the core of the vehicle - the battery, power train and overall system integration is very good. And the price for a new base Model 3 was reasonable.

I recently toyed with the idea of buying a used Bentley as a "Sunday car" largely for the sumptuous fittings you describe. A used Bentley isn't even all that expensive. But finding out about repairs at fantastic cost or even non repairability at any cost (due to parts being no longer available) I decided to give them a wide berth.

View attachment 208815
View attachment 208816
View attachment 208817
View attachment 208818
View attachment 208819

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...adicts-own-repair-recommendations-220665.html
I agree, it's not hard to see quality or the lack of it with a good eye. That goes for cars, fine watches, jewelry, as well as construction projects and homes, to name a few things.

I don't think Tesla's are crap, but I can't see myself in one because of:

1. Elon Musk
2. No switch gear, no gauge cluster in most models. I don't want to use voice commands and as much as I love a good touchscreen, some things like TURN SIGNALS require a physical control
3. Elon Musk
4. Build quality really is poor, there's no way around this one. It's not at Honda Accord quality (although based on my 2023 Acura Integra ownership experience this is hardly a goal to strive for)
5. Elon Musk
As someone who doesn't own a Tesla, Elon Musk is the man. Says it how it is.

I'll never support a company where the CEO Blatantly lies about the specs and performance and yet the Muskateers eat it up. Don't you think Tesla engineers knew long before the Cybertruck was released it wouldn't have any of the range, payload, or performance that the Muskrat spouted off. Musk rigged, and lied about the Porsche vs Cybertruck comparison. Jason Fenske from engineering explained made a whole video about this. Just about every vehicle Tesla has released has been late and a dollar short. The early model 3's had the battery cooler incorrectly installed, and had home depot dowels and tie downs to hold it down. Yet the Musketeers said this was progress. Musk is now claiming that employees will have to sleep at the factory when the model 2 ramps up. What a yutz. The Cybertruck is missing software on a vehicle that was FOUR YEARS late. Go buy a 1000 piece lego set but only get 500 pieces. Lego will eventually send you the rest. You'd be really irate I'm sure. Musk doesn't think anything through. The roadster if it gets delivered has the stupidest specs ever. Air thrusters? Really that's what a 6 year old would say. A 1500 psi tank won't even be legal. The Model S plaid only went 0-60 1.99 seconds when Tesla A) had a brand new paved road laid down B) had wider wheels and BARELY legal DOT semi slicks installed that aren't factory issue C) Gallons upon Gallons of Trackbite laid down. So much that road and track and Car and driver journalists were sticking to the pavement. Only then did it manage the 1.99 second 0-60 this is essentially fraud as it can't be done from the dealership as is. Many model 3 and y owners aren't getting anywhere near the stated charging range and it's been reported alot that Tesla service center employees were told by Musk to cancel their appointments as it was their fault not Teslas. It's well known that the video on Teslas website that Musk claims that the Model X drove completely on its own without any input was a lie. Twelve engineers came forward and have repeatedly stated that the vehicle had hardware and software not offered on a Tesla. Two the same engineers said that that Model X crashed and a second vehicle had to be brought in. That is fraud. If any other company acted like this they'd be in jail or seeing huge fines..... Dieselgate anyone? It disgusts me that such a terrible company has such a large fanbase. Oh yeah another poster posted the Green car report on a another post and Tesla wasn't on there. Oh go check out jalopniks article about the 10 ways the Cybertruck is a complete screwup. Anything else?
If I cross my eyes and stare long enough, will a dinosaur appear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back