Teslas are Crap (long, sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully disagree. Not everyone driving one is rich, there are some people driving them that think they're rich. There's a big difference. Oh and there are people driving them thinking they're saving the world. Flame suit on. FTR some decent people drive them too, I guess, j/k on that.
People who drive in EVs to save the world are akin to those people who drive full-size trucks with beds of air because they need the truck for yard projects and home projects.

The best lol is a less wealthy trying to look rich neighbor picked up a Rivian for the dump runs. I drive a $13k Pilot and pay someone who collects with trailer $25 every other week to not go to the dump.

I'll never support a company where the CEO Blatantly lies about the specs and performance and yet the "Fordsters" eat it up.
Insert any EV company in the "eat it up" section.

From my post yesterday.

"I'm in the used car side of the business. Customer brought in a 2022 FORD Lighting Lariat to trade in. Range and charge times in reality were very different than what the Ford Sales rep pitched. Half the range and 3x the charge times. She brought it in with 3,000 miles. Bought it for $85,000. Best I could get her on trade, $40,000."

I agree with the point. My Model 3 does have its turn signals on a lever. I expect Tesla will come to their senses and put the lever back on the new Model 3 at some point.

A European agency has warned that physical controls will be required for the top safety rating within a couple of years. We can only hope that Tesla will pay attention to that warning.

I'm not crazy about voice commands either. That's how I lost my favourite channel on the stereo. I pushed the right side steering wheel button to change the wiper speed and the car heard a phrase in a song (something about a gypsy) and changed the channel, initially to songs with gypsy in their name. And there is no back button. So boo Tesla.
The turn signal thing really bothers me. I also don't under the stand the need to have redundant door handles. Anytime I drive one of these I get yelled at for opening the door with the handle instead of pushing a button.

You will spend hours at charging stations. We don’t. We charge at home except when we’re on a long trip and that takes essentially no time. In fact (other than on long trips) we spend less time charging up that we would filling up. On a long trip you do have to charge up every 2 hours....
This point is one that people really misunderstand, as for many of us, it is multi faceted. I stop for gas multiple times per week, takes a few minutes each time. Charging at home fully eliminates the significant accumulated time spent at gas stations.

However, when on an EPIC road trip, charging 13 times in a Model S long range, FL to VT, does add to the total trip time. So much so, that an additional travel day is required.

At the end of a year, I'm fairly sure the time spent charging or filling is not all that different.

The “Teslas are crap” posts come from those who have never owned one.

Those who actually own them are all fans.

I prefer to develop an opinion based on those with actual experience.

Bashing is specious, easy, gratuitous, and of little value in the discussion.

I respectfully disagree. Not everyone driving one is rich, there are some people driving them that think they're rich. There's a big difference. Oh and there are people driving them thinking they're saving the world. Flame suit on. FTR some decent people drive them too, I guess, j/k on that.

I respectfully agree, except living a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget is still a rich lifestyle.

Replacing a battery on a Tesla is nowhere the same cost as a Prius hybrid, for example. If you live in Texas or other states, prepare to pay registration taxes above and beyond ICE. Prepare to pay much higher insurance costs. There are more points here that are rich ones in my opinion.

I'd consider an EV if I had a commuting job where it made sense and could still have a real car (truck in my case) for doing what I need it to.

However, Tesla specifically is out until they can design an interior. I'm not buying a $50,000 golf cart.

I respectfully agree, except living a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget is still a rich lifestyle.
No it's not.
Posers and show-offs are always fretting their appearance, the costs involved and deciding 'what's next'....unless they're entirely numb or stupid.
People of substance can enjoy their lives and lifestyles.

Me:
I'm surprised fabricators haven't stripped the bodies off Teslas or any other electric car for that matter, to make a panoply of specialty vehicles by now.
They could sell the removed bodies to repair shops, etc.

The Domino's delivery Nissans could be showpiece electrics. Pizza delivery is an inherently local business. Battery capacity for range could be used for the heater box.....and the betterment of all mankind.

It really isn’t a “rich lifestyle” - it’s a “guaranteed future failure” lifestyle.

I know some truly rich folks - you might be surprised by their lifestyle.

Living a “rich lifestyle” - that is, putting on appearances, is both common and foolish.

Many years ago, around 2000, when living in Colorado, several of our neighbors had brand new SUVs. Gas was cheap. So were loans. My then-wife (now ex) remarked, as I was washing the 1985 Volvo wagon and 1990 4Runner in our driveway, “I can’t believe how many people make more money than you.”

“They don’t” I replied.

“They spend more.”

Big difference.

It really isn’t a “rich lifestyle” - it’s a “guaranteed future failure” lifestyle.

I know some truly rich folks - you might be surprised by their lifestyle.

Living a “rich lifestyle” - that is, putting on appearances, is both common and foolish.

Many years ago, around 2000, when living in Colorado, several of our neighbors had brand new SUVs. Gas was cheap. So were loans. My then-wife (now ex) remarked, as I was washing the 1985 Volvo wagon and 1990 4Runner in our driveway, “I can’t believe how many people make more money than you.”

“They don’t” I replied.

“They spend more.”

Big difference.
You are expressing exactly what I mean, thank you.

Insert any EV company in the "eat it up" section.

From my post yesterday.

"I'm in the used car side of the business. Customer brought in a 2022 FORD Lighting Lariat to trade in. Range and charge times in reality were very different than what the Ford Sales rep pitched. Half the range and 3x the charge times. She brought it in with 3,000 miles. Bought it for $85,000. Best I could get her on trade, $40,000."
My neighbor has a brand new Lightening and he uses it to drive aroung town. It works nice for his application and he is smart enough to realize the limitations of the vehicle . Who is dumb enough to believe a car salesman or the media? An Ev is just an options are nice to have.

Really, they all need to come up with sexy styling. Nothing currently in production talks to me.

And, it's become political. Also, I find it hilarious that Elon Musk seemed to be the golden child of the electric vehicle faithful, until he came out as being somewhat conservative.

I'm a retired electrical engineer. The idea of an electric vehicle appeals to me, if for nothing else than the technology. Something small that looks cool. In the mean time, I simply cannot buy an ugly car.

I see a lot of those Tesla cars out on the roads, so SOMEBODY is buying them. Warts and all. :)

@ecotourist
I think your OP is well balanced and informative. Its posts like this that can help people decide (for those considering) if as in this case a Model 3 or EV in general can fit in with their lifestyle.
It's really well balanced, including stopping for 10 to 15 minutes on long trips and the big factor I see from many EV owners in here is the ability to charge at home. Without that ability it maybe a non starter.

We actively consider an EV for my wife's car but she doesnt want to spend the money on any new car right now, her choice, it wouldnt be a primary car as we tow a boat with an SUV but it would fit in our household for our local car and short trips as we sometimes use her low mileage (considering the age) current Mazda.

I like technology and we had the option to sit in two new Chevy Bolts without salespeople around, for some reason they were unlocked on a Sunday when the dealer was closed. They look like micro cars but my wife thinks "cute" and when inside it's quite nice for a compact car. I can only assume your Model 3 experience is that times 5.

We do need to also be fair and mention the price of EVs have come down some. Im not up to date with the Model 3 but I think down quite a bit in the last two years?

I dont think resale value in my wife and I case would be something we would look forward to in an EV. Her 2012 Mazda with only 95k mies on it.
I wouldnt be counting on getting back over 1/3rd of my money if that was an EV. It's Actually why I considered one. Sell the Mazda, plus another $7,500 from the taxpayers and we have a new car that only is used maybe 5000 miles a year that will last well over a decade and never need typical service like a gasoline. I want to say all these thoughts are on the back burner again... but it was some wintertime strolling around shopping ideas.

Anyway, not that it means anything but well written review of your car, I wish there were more in here for all cars, it would add value to this forum.

Last edited:
I wonder if the people with Elon Derangement Syndrome equally boycott corporations who wear their politics on their sleeves or the works of actors/actresses/musicians whom they disagree with politically ? Or is it just because Elon is so wealthy and his product is electric vehicles and not overpriced ice cream or chicken sandwiches ?

Of course the ultimate lesson is that public figures should really just stifle themselves and keep their political opinions to themselves. But big egos and a sense of self importance get in the way don't they ?

My neighbor has a brand new Lightening and he uses it to drive aroung town. It works nice for his application and he is smart enough to realize the limitations of the vehicle . Who is dumb enough to believe a car salesman or the media? An Ev is just an options are nice to have.
People lack critical thinking, I see it all the time.
In Canada, the media plays off the same song list, I won't go into more detail.

I wouldn't call her dumb, just had different life priorities than to dig into whether the Ford salesrep was giving her a line to sell an EV truck.

Same dealership has a used Mach E, in stock for over 500 days. Trying to sell it for list at $85K. I was happy to get out of one we took in trade for $52k, same model same year, lower mileage.
Folks are delusional or thinking another sucker will come along.

I used to believe the same stuff as some naysayers have posted. I'm pretty sure Teslas are only for rich California granola heads, right?
Of course, we buy more fancy German cars, Italian cars with prancing horses and lots of other expensive cars. The guy across the street has one of those twin turbo AMG beauties; must be a great grocery getter? His wife drives a Model Y Performance... The McLaren just around the corner sounds like heaven; I think they use it for Costco runs?

I was an early adopter; we bought our Model 3 Mid Range in Dec 2018. I did not need another car; it was a gift for wifey. Another primary reason was, GM and Toyota failed at the Fremont plant leaving thousands outta work. There are now over 20,000 workers at Fremont and are always hiring. I support that.

Teslas are not for everyone. If you can't charge at home or at work, you'd better think twice about plunking down your hard earned dollars.

Right now there is no other car I would buy. I am waiting for the Model 3 Ludicrous which will allow me to spank the exotics around here.
@Astro14 put it well; for the very most part, owners love their Teslas; satisfaction is off the charts. There's a reason for it.

Personally I am proud an American company is leading the world in a major market. Others may not care, but I do.

Last edited:
I wonder if the people with Elon Derangement Syndrome equally boycott corporations who wear their politics on their sleeves or the works of actors/actresses/musicians whom they disagree with politically ? Or is it just because Elon is so wealthy and his product is electric vehicles and not overpriced ice cream or chicken sandwiches ?

Of course the ultimate lesson is that public figures should really just stifle themselves and keep their political opinions to themselves. But big egos and a sense of self importance get in the way don't they ?

This is kind of a confusing, contradictory statement. Are you doubting your own beliefs?

Many things Elon has done defy normal human ethics which is glossed over and explained away by his cult supporters. From testing on monkeys, breeding outside of wedlock, drug abuse and so on. The more you dig, the worse the horror show and long term predictable outcome is.

Today's news gave me a chuckle. As you mention artists, here is one's artists response to Tesla.

1710518350022.jpg

Lots of good discussion here. Keep it up.

Teslas aren't perfect but they're pretty good. And their owners like them a lot. The pick of the litter may be the base Model 3 (which is what we have). It has all the good Tesla features at a "usual new car" price (too high but then what isn't).

I wouldn't buy a Tesla truck either. Or a Ford F-150 Lightning or a Rivian either. If I needed a truck it would be to do "trucky" things. I'd buy a basic 5 - 7 year old Ram. And if I was really hard pressed a Ford F-150 (but not a diesel). My neighbour's almost new truck "made oil" and he had to dump it. He bought a Ram diesel to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back