Tesla robot ATTACKS an engineer at company's Texas factory during violent malfunction

I can't speak for Tesla safety standards, but where I have worked, such an accident could only happen if the engineer was not following safety protocol. It is never allowed to be within the operating area of a robot, unless energy has been locked out/tagged out.

Any robot must be within an enclosed area, with workers protected by either physical barriers or light curtains, to isolate the full motion area of a robot. Every auto assembly plant I have ever visited has similar safety guards in place.

I hope the guy recovers.

I can't speak for Tesla safety standards, but where I have worked, such an accident could only happen if the engineer was not following safety protocol. It is never allowed to be within the operating area of a robot, unless energy has been locked out/tagged out.

Any robot must be within an enclosed area, with workers protected by either physical barriers or light curtains, to isolate the full motion area of a robot. Every auto assembly plant I have ever visited has similar safety guards in place.
Exactly. Multiple OSHA violations occurred one way or another ...
- Either proper guarding and restrictions and training were not in place.
- Or proper guarding and restrictions and training were ignored.

It is never allowed to be within the operating area of a robot,
Yes robots bolted to the floor are what I call the safe kind of robots-- if you stay outside of its maximum reach (marked by the line on the floor), it generally can't hurt you.

...and this thread/post is in the wrong forum, isn't it ?
You think????????

"A Tesla engineer was attacked by a robot during a brutal and bloody malfunction............The robot had pinned the man before sinking its metal claws into the worker's back and arm, leaving a 'trail of blood' along the factory surface...............Two witnesses watched in horror as a fellow Tesla employee rescued the bloodied engineer from an unwitting, but violent robotic assault

to

........The incident - which left the victim with an 'open wound' on his left hand....................claimed the engineer did not require time off of work."

You think????????

"A Tesla engineer was attacked by a robot during a brutal and bloody malfunction............The robot had pinned the man before sinking its metal claws into the worker's back and arm, leaving a 'trail of blood' along the factory surface...............Two witnesses watched in horror as a fellow Tesla employee rescued the bloodied engineer from an unwitting, but violent robotic assault

to

........The incident - which left the victim with an 'open wound' on his left hand....................claimed the engineer did not require time off of work."
"A Tesla engineer was attacked by a robot during a brutal and bloody malfunction."

How does a robot know how to "attack" anything? A malfunction in which safety protocols weren't followed I can believe, say the engineer got between a robot and the piece of material the robot was PROGRAMMED to handle? Silly reporting.

An "attack" is a volitional action. Robots have no volitional tendencies.

Reporters and the reports they write are just getting dumber and dumber.:mad:

Last edited:
"A Tesla engineer was attacked by a robot during a brutal and bloody malfunction.

How does a robot know how to "attack" anything? A malfunction in which safety protocols weren't followed I can believe, say the engineer got between a robot and the piece of material the robot was handling? Silly reporting.

Yeah but clickbait sells. The bigger (crazier?) the hype the bigger the consumption. People eat it up.

Daily Mail?

This happened in 21 or 22 depending on what part of story you believe, and we are just now hearing about it WHY?

According to story 1 in 21 workers injured - even if minor injuries that’s dismal.

"A Tesla engineer was attacked by a robot during a brutal and bloody malfunction."

How does a robot know how to "attack" anything? A malfunction in which safety protocols weren't followed I can believe, say the engineer got between a robot and the piece of material the robot was PROGRAMMED to handle? Silly reporting.

I immediately checked if it was april 1st already...

But then I saw daily mail and it all made sense.

What I read is, the engineer was programming the robot when he or she was hit.

When you are programming the robot you are basically in uncharted territory if you are not careful. Someone has to first program it before it can do what you want it to do. Either he or she is not following safety, or was trying something too aggressive and miscalculated when it was not yet tested.

I once had a robot did a judo chop on a cassette of silicon wafers (25). If they weren't scrap that would have been 100k worth of damage easily. Another time it hit something and shattered some silicon wafer, and the fragment dropped into a power supply underneath and cause a short, and a firework.

Things happen when you first program something. You got to be real careful then gradually get more aggressive afterward.

What I read is, the engineer was programming the robot when he or she was hit.

When you are programming the robot you are basically in uncharted territory if you are not careful. Someone has to first program it before it can do what you want it to do. Either he or she is not following safety, or was trying something too aggressive and miscalculated when it was not yet tested.

I once had a robot did a judo chop on a cassette of silicon wafers (25). If they weren't scrap that would have been 100k worth of damage easily. Another time it hit something and shattered some silicon wafer, and the fragment dropped into a power supply underneath and cause a short, and a firework.

Things happen when you first program something. You got to be real careful then gradually get more aggressive afterward.
Programming a robot is similar to programming a CNC machine except the programmer has to think in more of a 3-D space, but whatever action you program into it is simply just going to mindlessly follow it.

Programming a robot is similar to programming a CNC machine except the programmer has to think in more of a 3-D space, but whatever action you program into it is simply just going to mindlessly follow it.
Assuming the engineer is following some rules instead of first day on the job after college. I think it is hard to say but people do make "careless" mistakes.

Back