Tesla cars lose their value even faster than a Maserati, study says

If I owned a car company I'd rather have Musk running it than Mary Barra or Jim Farley. As I've said before,,,,GM lost money forever on Opel and within a year or two of buying it PSA had it profitable. Farley went all in on electric vehicles and then took one on a trip discovering they weren't 'ready for prime time' yet after costing the company billions....Typically, Toyota proceeded slowly and seems to have been totally right.

Tesla lost billions for more over a decade. Only the overblown stock market
hype saved Musk.
Barra's and Farley's notorious fails doesn't help. Musk doesn't care about
decline in value, he perhaps doesn't understand economy, he's a gambler.

hype saved Musk.
He's doing pretty well for a 'gambler'. I think most of the Musk hatred is due to the politics.
Bezos, Gates, Zuckerberg etc...are just as 'evil' but get a pass because....

What?

Tailgate Emergency Release​

An interior release, located on the inside of the tailgate, allows a person trapped in the cargo bed to open the tailgate when Cybertruck is parked.​
GUID-47FAAB31-796E-44F3-865D-5DFF46647D16-online-en-US.png
To use the emergency release, flip the cover upward to access the pull strap, then pull the strap firmly toward you.​
Warning​
People should never be inside the cargo bed when the Cybertruck is moving. Never shut the tailgate when a person is inside.​

The emergency release cover is visible in this video:

Does it glow in the dark? From my understanding of NHTSA rules it's required to.

hype saved Musk.
Plus the "Carbon offset credits " which Tesla made 1.8 billion on last year. This is from Musk who says "Subsidies are stupid.". I don't remember him complaining about subsidies in Teslas early days. If he dislikes subsidies so bad then get California to get rid of the carbon offset credits and hand back the $9.5 Billion back.

I'm in the used car side of the business. Customer brought in a 2022 FORD Lighting Lariat to trade in. Range and charge times in reality were very different than what the Ford Sales rep pitched. Half the range and 3x the charge times. She brought it in with 3,000 miles. Bought it for $85,000. Best I could get her on trade, $40,000.
Ouch.

For "passenger cars", which can exempt light trucks.

But the rule allows for both glow in the dark or automatic lighting.
I know that in the Bugatti Chiron for the USA market Bugatti had to add a divider to the front compartment as to make it "two compartments " so they could skirt around the rules that required auto manufacturers to add an emergency release. Seems like a cop-out.

I'm in the used car side of the business. Customer brought in a 2022 FORD Lighting Lariat to trade in. Range and charge times in reality were very different than what the Ford Sales rep pitched. Half the range and 3x the charge times. She brought it in with 3,000 miles. Bought it for $85,000. Best I could get her on trade, $40,000.
Ouch.
Wow! I would have (stupidly) been tempted to buy it...

Ouch.
When I worked sales at a Lexus Dealership we had a guy bring his barely 6 month old Tesla model X. He had one of the first deliveries in the country. He lived in Vail and had a two mile long unpaved driveway. Tesla sales associates swore up and down how capable the model x was, and he'd never get stranded. Granted his situation is very rare in the USA. Never the less he paid $140,000 plus tax title license etc. The dealership gave him $90,000 on trade. He traded it for a Lexus GX460 that with full-time 4wd with low range can actually go off road.

Tesla has a heap of problems, not living up to Wall Street expectations and to be fair the entire so called EV revolution was a bunch of hype for the USA.
Good news for the legacy makers they have the ICE and Hybrid prospects.

Tesla took another bashing in todays Barrons, not so much that it matters, yet it does in the way that it’s truth the company was priced at expectations of 2 years ago and it’s not happening and why it’s way off its high by over 50%. Think about that.

So what’s a fair price? No one knows except maybe it should be priced the way other automakers are and that would mean slashing the stock price another 50% and still be priced above its peers.

Who knows? I’m not claiming to know.
Saw a chart a few months ago. I think Wall Street price their AI, super charger network, solar and storage, EV, etc as a combination and only 40% of the company was priced as a car company and about 19% or so was for its AI. I'm not saying I agree with it but that's what Wall Street sees.

Still this is not related to how their cars' price drop. Any new cool products with high demand will go from "you can't get it if you pay MSRP" to market saturation, to older products competing with newer cooler products as they age. Tesla is not in the business of selling luxury good and limit production like Ferrari, and as innovation comes the cost of making newer better cars are cheaper than older ones, and the older ones have to drop in the relative value. Look at PCs from the 90s. They could last 20 years and are well built but, they depreciate into nothing in 3 years because the newer ones are doubling in power every 18 months or so for the same price. EVs today is in the same situation as before.

One day you will see a 20 year old neglected Tesla parking at supercharger with a homeless man inside, just like you see a homeless man in a super durable 95 Camry wagon today. It is not Toyota's fault.

Last edited:
I bought my EV to keep, not trade in. I did get GAP though. I am not concerned with battery life as quality lithiums last 20+ years and the capacity loss isn't bad. About 5% per 100k miles for the Kia eGMP cars. After half a million miles of magically not hitting a deer, I will be down to 75%, which will finally affect me, as I charge to 80% typically.
The biggest problem in new technology is not wear and tear, but design mistakes they haven't found yet.

I think for a reputable big company I trust they will do enough recalls to fix them, you are placing a bet on the company's reputation.

Outside of blaming the batteries or Musk, have they resolved the issue of replacement parts for cars that have accident damage?
I know this was a HUGE problem and caused owners to have to ditch their cars because of year long waits for chassis and body parts.

Unless I was misled?
The body shop I went to fixing my dad's van have a separate price for Tesla: 160/hr vs 130/hr due to extra wait time for parts and other quirks.

The biggest problem in new technology is not wear and tear, but design mistakes they haven't found yet.

I think for a reputable big company I trust they will do enough recalls to fix them, you are placing a bet on the company's reputation.
Kia does excellent. The only potential issue with eGMP is iccu, and they're handling it fine.

Also...mature platforms have issues too...Mazda 2021 cx5 turbo oil consumption. The 2.5T was solid for 5 years prior...

When I worked sales at a Lexus Dealership we had a guy bring his barely 6 month old Tesla model X. He had one of the first deliveries in the country. He lived in Vail and had a two mile long unpaved driveway. Tesla sales associates swore up and down how capable the model x was, and he'd never get stranded. Granted his situation is very rare in the USA. Never the less he paid $140,000 plus tax title license etc. The dealership gave him $90,000 on trade. He traded it for a Lexus GX460 that with full-time 4wd with low range can actually go off road.
Oh cmon. As long as ground clearance didnt prevent it, and he used proper tires, this is just a complete nonissue. I live 1 mile off pavement and my EVs have handled that better than any petrol powered vehicle, rain or snow or shine, including my 300ft long 27 percent incline drive.

Ouch.
Replying to my post....

...But, when will we see the first lawsuits on this type of scenario.
Seems to be deceptive advertising, and deceptive sales practices.
This lady is out $50,000 when you take into account lost sales tax savings on the next purchase.

I think the point is, Tesla batteries have proven to be better than expected. Just because the warranty has passed does not mean the battery dies. In fact, degradation has shown to be very low even after 150K or much more. There are plenty of articles on the Internet if you are interested.
From a practical point of view, when purchasing an EV, much of what you are purchasing is a large battery. Tesla gets it right with structurally intact cylindrical cells. Other manufacturers often use bloat-prone pouch cells or prismatic cells (pouch in a tight box). In my opinion if you want an EV, a Tesla is a strong choice for the superb charging network, the robust battery, and well refined technology.

It should come as no surprise BMW is moving to Tesla style cylindrical cells, as a way to reduce problems and increase lifespan.

A friend with a dealer's license says they can't get people to bid on them at the car auctions. They're so expensive to own that the money conscious middle class person should steer clear.

Outside of blaming the batteries or Musk, have they resolved the issue of replacement parts for cars that have accident damage?
I know this was a HUGE problem and caused owners to have to ditch their cars because of year long waits for chassis and body parts.

Still not great. Know someone with an M3P that's a year or so old, and got rear ended in a fender bender.

It took some time for the "approved" body shop to source the new bumper cover, but at least the car was driveable in the interim.

Back