Tecumseh Snow King. . .Ready for winter. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there pre-made 'impeller improvement kits' available? IMO, that's the problem with most of the real old school steel beasts. They don't throw snow for squat because of the impeller to housing clearance. I'd love to get an old machine, fit it with a Chonda and an impeller kit!

Joel

The machine in the above mentioned account was bought from my brother in law and was well used by the time I got it. The damage had already been done. I was nursing it along until I had enough cash to buy a new one. The second machine, a similar Craftsman held up quite well until the welds started to crack at around eight years old. I nursed it along until I bought a brand new Simplicity 928 two years later. Now that's a snow thrower. Close clearance impeller, 11 h.p. and built like a tank.

I was lucky enough to get one of the last machines to come out of the Wisconsin plant prior to Briggs taking them over. Now, only their Pro models are built as stout as the one I have. I'd have to say that my Simplicity is one of, or possibly the best thrower for distance on my street. It's truly impressive.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Are there pre-made 'impeller improvement kits' available? IMO, that's the problem with most of the real old school steel beasts. They don't throw snow for squat because of the impeller to housing clearance. I'd love to get an old machine, fit it with a Chonda and an impeller kit!

Joel

The Clarence kit, made by a guy in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, is a prefabricated kit that will fit just about anything made.

Being in the South I don't see many Snow Kings, so it's kind of surprising to me to see this many Techumseh fans. Whenever we get a Techumseh anything in at work I walk the other way.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Mine will wake the dead

Something that I had forgotten until I started it up today to test the new hour meter! I normally wear hearing protection when running it.

Fired right up, though.

I got my snow blower out on Saturday to get ready for winter. It started first pull - no need to use the electric start. I was very impressed.

It is a three year old 33" Brute with 10.5 hp Tecumseh Snow King.

It also throws snow pretty good.

Joel

Google what I have been referencing - "Clarence impeller kit". This catches a lot of people at first - I know Clarence and clearance are similar words, but my spelling and capitalization are not typos....this time anyways.
smile.gif

Last edited:
what a coincidence. Since last weekend was so warm, I got both the Ariens 5 hp Tec and the Toro 2 cycle ready for winter. Both started right up. The 5 hp Tecumseh is the smoothest and quietest little motor I've come across-I would compare it to a Singer sewing machine. Vintage 1993.
My favorite is the little 3 hp 2 cycle Toro. I laughed out ound when my father in law gave it to me because he wanted an electric start blower. Thought it was a toy. I am laughing no more-this is the first machine I grab when there is snow to clear

Steve

Here is one of the Clarence impeller kits installed on my Ariens 724. Haven't had any snow yet to test it, but the reviews have been very good.

gettingthere002.jpg

That is awesome. Lots-o holes to drill though!
shocked.gif

Joel

Yes, a good sharp drill bit is a must! I'm really looking forward to trying it out!

I have a 1990 Ariens ST724. with a 7 hp Tecumseh snow king engine. I can't fine the manual. I changed the oil today with 1 quart mobil clean 5000 5w-30 and it's about a half inch over the dip stick full line.

I take it 1 qt is too much. Does any one know the oil capacity?

This is a great machine

Way too much oil.

It should take around 20 oz. or so. Drain off ten or twelve ounces and check your dip stick. I don't have the exact fill amount but the dipstick will tell you when you have it right.

Joel [/quote]

The Clarence kit, made by a guy in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, is a prefabricated kit that will fit just about anything made. [/quote]

I saw Joels post regarding the Clarence Impeller kit & was impressed by the simple design & reviews so I ordered it. The kit came in quickly & it took approx. 2 hours to install it. I have a "Toro 824XL" & there was a 1/4" )maybe a little less) gap between the Impeller & body. So I could see where this made a lot of sense!
The installation... I had to cut the kit to fit & even shortening the rubber from the kit as the Impeller's support was in the way.
I then set it where I wanted it & held it in place & drilled the center hole first.
I then tightened the bolt & nut securely so the impeller would not move & drilled the remaining holes & bolted them in place.
Now waiting for the first Snowfall!

Originally Posted By: mva
I got my snow blower out on Saturday to get ready for winter. It started first pull - no need to use the electric start. I was very impressed.

It is a three year old 33" Brute with 10.5 hp Tecumseh Snow King.

It also throws snow pretty good.

Same thing mine is 22 years old and got it out of the shed and it started on the first pull. I was at my dealer today trying to get belts and he said that the Snow King stopped production... I asked why.. he said he didn't know... but now Subaru is gaining the market share. they are as good as honda at a more affordable price. So hang on to your sno king

I have a Craftsman 24" 5.5 hp Tecumseh that's from 2006 new. Works great.

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum syn 10W-30 before each season. Is this good to use? No deposits? Seems to run like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back