TC-W3 in Stihl Chainsaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a gallon of pennzoil tcw3 two cycle oil after sellin my jetski. Can i use it in chainsaw. Blower. Weedeacker. ? I have always used the full syn stihl ultra oil. Worryin that the tcw3 being for water cooled engines wont provide enough protection for a hotter running air cooled engine? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Eddie
TCW3 IS FOR TWO CYCLE ENGINES. Check your owners manual but, I think there is no reason not to use it. Ed

Works great in 4 cycle engines too.

TCW3 IS FOR TWO CYCLE ENGINES. Check your owners manual but, I think there is no reason not to use it. Ed

TCW3 is for (and this is critical) water cooled 2-cycle engines. Air cooled engines are a different animal and have different requirements...

Read your owners manuals and report back.

From my Stihl MS250 Owners Manual

Originally Posted By: Stihl Owners Manual
Use only STIHL two-stroke engine oil or equivalent high-quality two-stroke engine oils that are designed for use only in air cooled two-cycle engines.

We recommend STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil since it is specially formulated for use in STIHL engines.

Do not use BIA or TCW rated (two-stroke water cooled) mix oils or other mix oils that state they are for use in both water cooled and air cooled engines (e.g. outboard motors, snowmobiles, chain saws, mopeds, etc.)

Am I missing something? It seems very clear.

Only use two stroke oil that is rated Jasco FC or better rated in handheld two stroke stuff. That is what the quality 2 stroke oils meet. There are numerous problems that you can find all over the internet that show that tc-w3 is bad in chain saws and such.

Last edited:
TCW-III is not ideal for air cooled engines. The additional temperature of air cooled engines require a different method of deposit management.

I'm not going to say "it's fine" to use TCW-III, but I will say that mixing it at 32 to 1 or even 24 to 1 will provide enough lubrication under most circumstances. Carbon buildup and ring sticking problems aside...

There are many people who do just this and have acceptable results. But, they probably don't run the engines hard either.

It will work fine, I used tcw3 for years since it was easier to find. However in reality there is something that is better, so you should to that route. I'd run the tcw as a fuel add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back