Tax Filing Websites (TaxAct, TaxSlayer, TurboTax)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used Tax Act. I have two rental properties and a tenth of a race horse, so being able to import depreciation from prior years is important to me. Price is certainly getting out of hand, though. Tried Credit Karma and some of their forms for business had an inoperative data entry box. Was there on the screen but you couldn't enter anything. Emailed them several times on it but nothing changed.

Credit Karma was perfect for my girlfriend, however. Nothing beats free and all things credit Karma are usually well worth it.

I was a TaxAct user until last year when I used Credit Karma. Used them again this year, totally free and everything imported perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Our president promised we could do it on a postcard??

This year's filings are still under the old system. If you do not itemize (less people will itemize due to the standard deduction doubling) or have any special circumstances, your taxes next year should be a lot easier.

I use TurboTax and have for about a decade. Right now the Deluxe version is $40 at Costco, and the Premier version $55.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
H&R Block... its been around $30 for the last few years. Works fine for me, e-files federal, prepopulates state that I fill out online for free.

+1

If you watch closely, Amazon will drop the price for the Deluxe + State version to $19-$24. Usually around Thanksgiving and again around January 1st. Includes free federal filing and pre-populates State. Great deal.

If you are under 66000 should be 100% completely free somewhere.

h&r block even has one that is free itemized..

of course if you have a 1000$ w2g gambling winnings you have to upgrade to deluxe for 35$+35$ state (aprox)

I bought the block software for 9.99 with free state.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11116567-h-r-bl...earchBarV2Algo1

Follow instructions there if you want the deal. it works great.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Credit Karma has free web based income tax software.

Thank you, Donald. I just used this to file mine this evening. I liked it much better than TaxAct, too. It was quite a bit simpler without the endless questions asked by TurboTax and TaxAct. Saved me $30! That's significant with a refund of just under $300 this time.

So I'm glad we got this discussion rolling because I didn't file with TaxAct this time. TaxHawk/FreeTaxUSA was only $13 for the state filing. (and the refund amount was identical to what TaxAct calculated)

No kidding with the prices! I used TaxAct for years and just went through the Federal motions with Credit Karma for free. Problem is, it wasn't until the completion of my Fed did I catch the note that they're not doing NY State returns at this time. Ugh.. I REALLY liked the Credit Karma interface! Super nice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 28oz
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
H&R Block... its been around $30 for the last few years. Works fine for me, e-files federal, prepopulates state that I fill out online for free.

+1

If you watch closely, Amazon will drop the price for the Deluxe + State version to $19-$24. Usually around Thanksgiving and again around January 1st. Includes free federal filing and pre-populates State. Great deal.

Years ago I did them by hand given my returns are fairly easy. For $30 the convenience and time... I'd pay more if I had to.

I think it's safe to say that anyone over about the age of 35 did their taxes by hand in the past. I remember going to the post office to pick up the forms. I used to order Publication 17 from the IRS as well. It was as good as any aftermarket tax guide and it was free. A few years before electronic filing became reality you could download the tax forms to fill in, either on your computer or by hand. It used to take a long time followed by a long wait for the refund check. Some things sure have improved. But, any tax system that isn't simple enough for the average person to figure out and manage without assistance is not a great system.

Switched to FreeTaxUSA last year because TaxAct started charging for itemized Federal, I'm staying with FreeTaxUSA again this year. I go to ftb.ca.gov to file my own state for free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back