Taught some friends to shoot.

I will pay for ammo and range time personally for anyone on this forum that wants to learn how to shoot.
I firmly believe we need to actively keep the sport moving forward and with safety as a core.
I spend about an hour per weapon type in education and bench learning before we go to a range.

I hear this all the time, and believe you.

Ive had guns that were perfect for me but others terrible.
I might take you up on that offer some day.....but then I'd need to start another hobby.

I might take you up on that offer some day.....but then I'd need to start another hobby.
I wouldn't call it a hobby, call it using your rights, learning to safely handle and operate a firearm and practicing to be able to defend yourself if that time should ever come which hopefully it does not but you will wish you had the ability if it did come.

In retrospect I should have completely left out any issues we might have had and focused on the fun and great time we had.

It's much more important to promote the sport to those interested vs. discussing equipment.

It is admirable of you to take your time to train others. Hopefully the malfunction issues doesn't spoil the shooting sport for this young couple. Shooting can be a lot of fun, especially with friends. Get a little friendly competition going. Try each other's guns.

I've never owned a Glock, and probably never will. But I'm curious, is it possible the guns needed to be cleaned before first use? I've experienced this with a few guns. I forgot to clean before first use, the Sig P322 I bought last year. It malfunctioned at least once every magazine, until I took it home and thoroughly cleaned the gun and magazines. Now I can take it out for some shooting and only have 1 or 2 malfunctions, if any, after shooting through several 20 shot magazines.

Last edited:
It is admirable of you to take your time to train others. Hopefully the malfunction issues doesn't spoil the shooting sport for this young couple. Shooting can be a lot of fun, especially with friends. Get a little friendly competition going. Try each other's guns.

I've never owned a Glock, and probably never will. But I'm curious, is it possible the guns needed to be cleaned before first use? I've experienced this with a few guns. I forgot to clean before first use, the Sig P322 I bought last year. It malfunctioned at least once every magazine, until I took it home and thoroughly cleaned the gun and magazines.

They had a ball, they'll be back and soon.

Perhaps they should have been oiled up, but guys tell me they pull them right from the box and go.

Perhaps the dealer did put something called cera coat on them that makes them non stock or requires a break in?

They are going to oil them up and clean them and were going back at it in a few weeks.
We'll use different ammo again.

Part of the reason they even had these is that I ok'd it as a fine choice.

Ive had all kinds of issues no one has - but at one point I'd shoot 3x a week and reload with friends.

UncleDave, I see you are in California. I know the state has placed a lot of conditions and restrictions on new handguns. Is it possible your friends bought two California specific guns that just don't function because of that?
I know starting in 1973, California emissions cars were pieces of junk. Maybe in building a state specific model Glock did not do the extensive engineering and testing the 49 state models received. Your friends may have California lemons.
The only other thing I can think of is to buy extra magazines and fire the guns with them to make sure it isn't a bad run of mags causing the problems.

I have a Glock 17 that is slightly over 10,000 rounds with only two ammo failures: both hard primers. Also, a Glock 26 at 8,500 rounds with one stovepipe. A "new" 19 at only 3,000 rounds, 100%. A 30S that is only 700 rounds but 100%. All of them eat Blazer aluminum just fine.

I'll agree with the others: sounds like a grip issue.

They had a ball, they'll be back and soon.

Perhaps they should have been oiled up, but guys tell me they pull them right from the box and go.

Perhaps the dealer did put something called cera coat on them that makes them non stock or requires a break in?

They are going to oil them up and clean them and were going back at it in a few weeks.
We'll use different ammo again.

Part of the reason they even had these is that I ok'd it as a fine choice.

Ive had all kinds of issues no one has - but at one point I'd shoot 3x a week and reload with friends.
While some guns do have a bit of a break in period for reliability/accuracy Glocks are typically not one of them usually you just clean them up and oil them and go.

Taurus makes some decent guns such as the G3C but those you actually need to run a few boxes of cheap ammo through such as Blazer brass otherwise they tend to be a bit picky with defensive ammo and also a bit off on accuracy.

UncleDave, I see you are in California. I know the state has placed a lot of conditions and restrictions on new handguns. Is it possible your friends bought two California specific guns that just don't function because of that?
I know starting in 1973, California emissions cars were pieces of junk. Maybe in building a state specific model Glock did not do the extensive engineering and testing the 49 state models received. Your friends may have California lemons.
The only other thing I can think of is to buy extra magazines and fire the guns with them to make sure it isn't a bad run of mags causing the problems.

I cant really say because I dont know the product line well enough to even know if a california version exists.

I do know what you mean and I can say that the Ruger MK III has become unnecessarily more complicated and heavier because of the "California" features.

While some guns do have a bit of a break in period for reliability/accuracy Glocks are typically not one of them usually you just clean them up and oil them and go.

Taurus makes some decent guns such as the G3C but those you actually need to run a few boxes of cheap ammo through such as Blazer brass otherwise they tend to be a bit picky with defensive ammo and also a bit off on accuracy.

There were two distinct problems. Stovepipe - which could have been mags, ammo, grip...

Failure of the upper receiver to fully seat after a shot. You could get it to seat with a push of your thumb. I cannot see how the mag could be responsible for this.

The rangemaster was behind the guy for a bit and witnessed it and used a term Id never actually heard before calling some issue with "battery".

I wouldn't call it a hobby, call it using your rights, learning to safely handle and operate a firearm and practicing to be able to defend yourself if that time should ever come which hopefully it does not but you will wish you had the ability if it did come.
It's a hobby, a sport, and a right.

I've seen failure to battery on 1911s a couple of times. It was a failure mode we drilled on, so it was quickly diagnosed and corrected. Happened to me once on a timed competition shoot. I would think after break in and a good clean and lube it should go away on your Glocks.
Stovepipes are a bigger problem.
If changing the mags or using higher pressure ammo does not correct both problems I would recommend returning the guns. If the store refuses the return, I'd go through the credit card company.

put aside the merits or not of glocks for a moment. it is most telling that the two fallback handguns in this tale were old school and rugers: a mark3 22lr semiauto pistol and a sp101 357/38 (?) revolver.

a decent 22lr pistol and a 38sp revolver are where most newbies ought to start (and many should finish).

a 22lr pistol physically and financially affords alot of necessary practice. a 38sp revolver can be easily customized with grips and loads, offers an intuitive manual of arms, and sleeps in a bedside drawer for years ready to work without a moment’s hesitation.

tupperware 9mm wonder-blasters are what the “tactical operator” utubers, and gun store clerks earning $15/hr, urge newbies to buy as a first handgun because that’s what all the cool kids have, i suppose.

uncle dave, you performed an exemplary service. thank you from everyone who appreciates our 2a.

Last edited:
I see you are in California. I know the state has placed a lot of conditions and restrictions on new handguns. Is it possible your friends bought two California specific guns that just don't function because of that?
I don't know specifics or care about CA's rules but (2) changes I am aware of are magazine capacity limits and loaded-chamber indicators. Some manufacturers don't even offer every model for sale in CA since they either can't or don't want to make the adaptations.

Back