Tap Water Really That Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest issue is in calcium, or hardness. There is no chlorine added to my local water. It is sterilized with ozone. There is also no added floride. Even with added floride, it is still in the trace level. I use tap water in my cooling system and have had no ill effects from it. Others may have different results.

quote:

Originally posted by boulderdentist:
I have read this thread with interest and understand the nominal cost of distilled water. Therefore cost is not a factor and who would dispute the manufacturer for specifying distilled water? However, I obtained the water quality report for our community and it reads similar to an used oil analysis. Five elements were just a few parts per billion. Total dissolved solids were just 180 parts per million. Alkalinity was 50 parts per million, calcium just 4 grains, sodium 15 ppm, ammonia 0.01 ppm. I am not understanding how trace amounts in the few parts per billion, or few parts per million can make a significant difference? I suspect the antifreeze coolant is more subject to contamination by the internal water passages, freeze plugs, gaskets, gasket sealers, thermostat components, water pump components, and cooling system hoses. Despite my doubts, used distilled water last flush and fill.

Scott

I understand your logic. Also, your water sounds better then what most people get in this country. One thing to note this is water tested as it leaves the water plant and does not reflect what it will pick up from the holding tanks and transportation system. In some areas this effect will be nill, in other areas it will be very noticeable. Another note is water quality varies based on time of year also.

Using tap water once or only in emergencies won't necessarily ruin your cooling sytem, but repeated use will. The minerals will leach out and remain in the system as deposits, plus you risk the chance of the trace elements altering the corrosion protection from the antifreeze.

Does anyone know if the auto manufacturers use distilled water for the factory fill? Any item that they can save a few cents per unit increases profits. Examples are the cheap hose clamps instead of worm clamps, pop rivets instead of screws, etc.etc. Why not utilize a sacrificial anode like hot water heaters? The hot water heater tank has to heat tap water, the anode is to protect the tank from chemicals, minerals, and corrosion?

Scott

That's a real good question. Does anyone know? I would guess that they use DI water or that the vendor supplies it already diluted to the proper strength, using an appropriate water (probably DI).

quote:

Originally posted by Big Jim:
That's a real good question. Does anyone know? I would guess that they use DI water or that the vendor supplies it already diluted to the proper strength, using an appropriate water (probably DI).

Look here in this thread and read the Ford TSB I posted. They make a reference to varying water quality. Which is why they recomend the replacement interval shorter after the subsequent factory fill. This is a clue that - they have quality standards for their factory fill water.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000511

I suspect the automakers use de-ionized water*, at least, but that Ford (and others?) are assuming that Joe Average is uncoiling his garden hose and squirting tap water of unknown quality into the radiator at changeout time. I would opine that if Joe Average has educated himself to the advantages of a distilled water flush and a refill with G-05 diluted down with distilled water, the working life of the replacement coolant subsequent to changeout would be every bit as long as that of the factory fill coolant. As long as ol' Joe logged what he'd done and kept the receipts for the distilled water and G-05, Ford would have a tough sell denying a warranty claim in the unlikely event it came to that.

*Try to imagine the cost of building and maintaining an on-site steam distillation plant or bringing in tankcar loads of distilled water to support industrial volume. An on-site cross-flow de-ionization plant isn't exactly cheap, but it is economically do-able in industrial volume and provides essentially the same level of purity regarding ion content. Cross-flow de-ionization has a maintenance cost advantage over steam distillation, too.

quote:

Any item that they can save a few cents per unit increases profits. Examples are the cheap hose clamps instead of worm clamps, pop rivets instead of screws, etc.etc. Scott

OT: The Cynic Control Nazi would like to point out that both the springy band clamp and pop rivet are highly engineered products with designed-in inherent limits on how much clamping and fastening force they have. As opposed to a roll-formed screw or stamped worm thread which vary all over the map and then are also subject to the gorilla installing and adjusting it. Pick better examples, Scott.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:

quote:

Any item that they can save a few cents per unit increases profits. Examples are the cheap hose clamps instead of worm clamps, pop rivets instead of screws, etc.etc. Scott

OT: The Cynic Control Nazi would like to point out that both the springy band clamp and pop rivet are highly engineered products with designed-in inherent limits on how much clamping and fastening force they have. As opposed to a roll-formed screw or stamped worm thread which vary all over the map and then are also subject to the gorilla installing and adjusting it. Pick better examples, Scott.

Not to mention - The so called "cheap" clamps eliminate over tourquing. Provide quicker assembly time. I'm not convinced the reason for using them is a cost issue concerning only the part itself. I believe it is a cost issue based on assembly time and scrap rates.

Hello Tosh,

I respectfully defer to your knowledge. I personally hate the factory clamps and despise drilling out rivets. You admonished me to pick better examples. The Ford Pinto had a problem with a poor design with the fuel tank and rear end collisions resulting in fiery explosions and occupant deaths. Ford bean counters did the math and decided they would rather allow deaths and pay settlement lawsuits which cost less than correcting the design problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back