Tablet question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
That's why I haven't bothered to upgrade. I'm not sure what the newer phones do better than my old one.

I use mine for navigation in the car. The larger screen and more powerful CPU help in that department.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's why I haven't bothered to upgrade. I'm not sure what the newer phones do better than my old one.

I use mine for navigation in the car. The larger screen and more powerful CPU help in that department.

I could see that. I rather like my Garmin though for that purpose. Maps don't update, but OTOH I never have to move it. My phone stays in my pocket for most of the day, except when I have to charge, or I get home.

I also pay $6/month for cell service. That is a bit of a consideration too. $90 is what I paid for the phone. I've toyed with buying an iPhone at whatever it costs ($500?) and then putting onto the same Tracphone plan (if it were possible). I've actually toyed a bit with getting an iPad with cellular, given my light usage it might make sense. Edit: assuming I could put it onto the same sort of cheapo prepaid plan.

Last edited:

I could see that. I rather like my Garmin though for that purpose.

Yeah, Garmin works and doesn't tie up your phone while navigating.

What I like about using my phone for nav is that I can just say "OK, Google, navigate to..." and just say the name of the business or address, and it'll pull it up and start navigating. Or I can pull up an appointment entry from Google Calendar and it'll start navigating there, too. No fumbling with trying to type in addresses. Although I know many newer Garmins can be voice controlled these days as well, just as long as your POIs are up to date.

I could see that. I rather like my Garmin though for that purpose.

Yeah, Garmin works and doesn't tie up your phone while navigating.

What I like about using my phone for nav is that I can just say "OK, Google, navigate to..." and just say the name of the business or address, and it'll pull it up and start navigating. Or I can pull up an appointment entry from Google Calendar and it'll start navigating there, too. No fumbling with trying to type in addresses. Although I know many newer Garmins can be voice controlled these days as well, just as long as your POIs are up to date.

For supton, that means using precious data on his phone plan, which on another thread of his, a limitation he expressed.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Those $50 kindle fires are not what you think.

They are very slow, good for reading but not much more.

I have one sitting in a drawer that has been unused for six months.

Get the ipad, or the samsung tablet.

We bought a quad core insignia tablet for my wife, and it was junk also. Ended up returning it for Samsung Galaxy A, much better.

Yeah, I got the impression that the Insignia's are no-name low end things. Tempting but perhaps just too low end. Was in Best Buy last night, and held a couple of them; but the text is just too blurred to bother. Even if they do have Android 6.0.

iPad is a huge price bump over the Fire. $500 or so vs $90 for the 16GB 8" version. I did hold the 8" version and it's not bad. Text is a bit blurred. Which I don't get, as my iPad Mini has worse resolution (1024x768 vs 1280x800).
21.gif
Must just be a better display. I didn't look at the $50 7", I figured it was too little (8GB storage). Amazon did up the system RAM to 1.5GB, so it shouldn't be that far behind.

I took a look to see what was on CL. Lots of out of date ones, it seemed--or expensive ones. I'm hard pressed to buy used when $90 will buy new.

Dunno. I do like my new 5.5" phone but it's just a bit too small for using while on the couch in the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back