Tablet question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My iPad Mini is starting to give me fits. I've been able to deal with the space (it's a 16GB model) but its now constantly reloading web pages, so it makes websurfing harder than it should be. It's one of the original Mini's (so gen 1) so I'm thinking it's simply time. [Hard to believe it's been 4 years.]

However, I've been seeing these Kindle Fire's for $50. !!! Micro SD, USB micro, and presumably some support for USB devices. Seems cheap enough to try. Is this going to be an upgrade to my Mini? Or just merely like it?

My usage is pretty basic: websurfing, email, playing Suduko, reading kindle books, and occasionally journaling. [I got some app for my iPad which works with text files.] Would need to run Outlook (for work emails), and the aforementioned text editor (must do *.txt files). Would be nice if I could plug it into a USB hub and have a keyboard and perhaps a larger screen, but that isn't critical (just desirable as I'm about to take an axe to my Dell laptop, Win10 is infuriating).

I agree that removable memory is a must. Don't often need a camera on the tablets as most phones do a fair job. I was given a Samsung tablet with a purchase of a Samsung tv to control all the AV equipment as they have a IR emitter. Also bought a pro version of Samsung to record and fly drones. Get protection for the screen and unit itself and very reasonable off Amazon or Ebay.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
I agree that removable memory is a must. Don't often need a camera on the tablets as most phones do a fair job. I was given a Samsung tablet with a purchase of a Samsung tv to control all the AV equipment as they have a IR emitter. Also bought a pro version of Samsung to record and fly drones. Get protection for the screen and unit itself and very reasonable off Amazon or Ebay.

I've got an LG39C for a phone, and its camera is awful. I've thought about updating to a better phone, as the battery is starting to need recharging every 3 days now, but it's actually an ok size (fits in shirt pocket with my pens, pocket protector, notepad). I send a couple of texts per week, and make a couple of calls per month. Seems hard to justify getting a "good" phone at that kind of usage.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Will that ipad allow you to load UBlock Origin?
If so, then watch that ipad improve noticeably afterwards.

Dunno. Will look into that. Quick look is revealing conflicting info.

I've got an LG39C for a phone, and its camera is awful. I've thought about updating to a better phone, as the battery is starting to need recharging every 3 days now,

I got the same phone for my Mother and I just ordered a new battery for it last fall and all is well for the little use it has.

Originally Posted By: bioburner

I've got an LG39C for a phone, and its camera is awful. I've thought about updating to a better phone, as the battery is starting to need recharging every 3 days now,

I got the same phone for my Mother and I just ordered a new battery for it last fall and all is well for the little use it has.

I haven't gone looking, but I know it's easy to get a less than original battery. That is to say, one that isn't any better than what I have. Not only that, but by waiting so long before getting a smartphone, I was able to pick this up for a pretty cheap $90. A new battery is what, $10-20? I could probably buy a yet-better smartphone for another $90 and get another 2-3 years out of that. Just haven't bothered to look. But the phone does what I want, although it has had nothing but problems using the Outlook App for work emails (seems to have problems getting synced for emails).

Was a post on getting a Tracfone LG sunset phone via HSN for 69.99 with 1300 minutes early this week. Great way to go and I may think of getting one to use in my off season.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

U-Block Origin appears to be a content blocker. You can probably download it but Apple will not allow content blockers to run on certain processors, and a Mini 1 won't have a processor that will run it. (I think Mini 3 and up will) additionally content blockers will only run on Safari under iOS.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

U-Block Origin appears to be a content blocker. You can probably download it but Apple will not allow content blockers to run on certain processors, and a Mini 1 won't have a processor that will run it. (I think Mini 3 and up will) additionally content blockers will only run on Safari under iOS.

I do not think that uBlock Origin can work on Safari; and even if it did I do not think Apple allows you do use extensions on Safari on iOS. Chrome can use uBlock Origin but the mobile version (especially for iOS, which is just a wrapper around Safari anyhow) cannot use extensions.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

I do not think that uBlock Origin can work on Safari; and even if it did I do not think Apple allows you do use extensions on Safari on iOS. Chrome can use uBlock Origin but the mobile version (especially for iOS, which is just a wrapper around Safari anyhow) cannot use extensions.

You can definitely run content blockers on iOS Safari if the device supports it. I do so on a mini...

The kindle for amazon prime users occasionally crops up at $33. $50 seems steep to me for a mediocre keyboard and so so web surfing experience. Apple mini 2 which is our other tablet offers superior keyword and decent surfing.

A kindle fire is great for media consumption or games as my 9 year old loves hers she got for xmas.

My other daughter 11 has a Lenovo s100 chrome book laptop which is amazing at the tasks you list for $130 discounted. I can actuallly do 50% of my professional job. It boots in 5 seconds from cold.

I don't think I want a chrome book, it's between the sizes I want. Plus I have a full sized BT keyboard for when I want to type. I like the 7" tablet for its portability and book-like size; but when I want a laptop I want a laptop. Also, dare I say it, last I knew Windoze had the edge in software. I mean, I like MS OneNote, and at some point I'll get back to programming on an Arduino, and it'd be nice someday to run Techstream on something other than my XP anchor.

Anyhow, it sounds like I'd be best served by waiting another year and then getting an iPad Mini 5, or perhaps the 4 if it goes on sale. The 4 is $500 (minus 10% if I trade it in at an iStore, I think). Heck of a lot of money, but a lot of machine. I am still using my Mini after 4 years, that has to say something.

You may probably know this, but check for the GPS enabled iPads, in case you ever need this feature. I bought one without proper research to be only shocked that it has none. I purchased Bad Elf as soon as I learned about my miss. I was simply spoiled by the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet that is still snappier and has a better screen. Although, my wife is happy with her iPad 4. I just went for the top of the line, max memory, whatever was top of the line in this form factor then without even thinking that I may end up with a crippled tablet for double price. All the ones that have the radio chip for data service allegedly have GPS enabled on the same chip. Again, it's a so called A-GPS, assisted GPS as all of them have. Still, they have more dependable hardware.

Interesting; would not have thought to get gps in a tablet. I could see that handy, in a city. Then again, my phone has a gps, so I'm not sure how handy it'd be. Maybe I could skip gps in the phone next time.

Those $50 kindle fires are not what you think.

They are very slow, good for reading but not much more.

I have one sitting in a drawer that has been unused for six months.

Get the ipad, or the samsung tablet.

We bought a quad core insignia tablet for my wife, and it was junk also. Ended up returning it for Samsung Galaxy A, much better.

Before you go buy a tablet.....

First step to fixing an iDevice is plug it into your computer, load iTunes, then back it up and restore it from the backup.

Do this and see how it acts after, it may be all better.

Unless you're looking for an excuse to get a new one. Don't worry, I won't tell
wink.gif

I did do a backup the other day, but did not restore. The only thing it's not doing is surfing the web properly; it keeps reloading pages. I thought it was because it was getting old--it no longer can run the latest iOS, after all. I'd just as soon keep it, and have resigned myself to not surfing on it any more. 'tis ok, it's not like it had a large screen anyhow.

Do a restore on it and see what happens. Sometimes little things get broken in the OS or built in software and a restore will fix that.

I've thought about updating to a better phone, as the battery is starting to need recharging every 3 days now,

Slightly OT, but good luck finding a modern smartphone where the battery lasts 3 days if you actually use it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I've thought about updating to a better phone, as the battery is starting to need recharging every 3 days now,

Slightly OT, but good luck finding a modern smartphone where the battery lasts 3 days if you actually use it.

That's why I haven't bothered to upgrade. I'm not sure what the newer phones do better than my old one. I check emails while on vacation (as it has data on it which I can turn on), send a text message once/week or so, and make a call once/month or so.

21.gif

Seems like I should care enough to keep up with the technology but so far I haven't felt like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back