Synthetic tranny fluid smooth out shifts-05 F150 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 F150 with the 4R75W tranny. It has about 37,000 miles on it. I had the dealer flush the tranny at around 33,000 miles.

Situation is that I get a shudder/rough shift on the 1-2 upshift. All other shifts (up & down) are very smooth. I've had the dealership check it out, and they say nothing's wrong with it. So I'm wondering, will a fully synthetic tranny fluid smoothen out the shift? I use Amsoil motor oil, so I'm apt to go with their ATF also. Or I'd be willing to go with M1. What do you guys think, is it worth it? Do you think it will help?

PS - I occasionally tow a 7000 lbs travel trailer, about 8-9 times per year, only 70 miles round trip, 10 miles of which is up a mountain. Tranny fluid always has remained a nice red color, with no odor of burning. I just want the 1-2 shift to be smooth like the others.

It is worth upgrading to a synthetic ATF because it can handle heat better, which allows it to help reduce transmissions temperatures. My opinion, differentials and transmissions benefit more from synthetics than engines.

I think the Amsoil ATF is a better product than Mobil 1 ATF, but they would both serve you well.

Couple of things you could try:

Flush or do a series of drain/fills with the Amsoil or M1. The Motorcraft Mercon V your dealer should have used is correct fluid and I'd be surprised if the synthetic ATFs made noticeable difference in shift quality with only 4K on the MC ATF. I've used both Amsoil and M1 with no change in the "feel" of the shifts on my F150. Considering that your towing 7K several times a year you may want to do regular services every 30K on the tranny. You could wait until your next service and try a different brand of ATF.

Dump in a bottle of Lubegard (I believe its the red one) for Ford transmissions. Its about $12 at local parts stores. Meant more for a shudder problem common in Fords than a hard shift but can't hurt.

Disconnect the battery and let the truck set for 20 minutes or more to drain the computer of power. Start up and drive normal. Did this on a Ranger with an auto that was acting up a few years ago and it worked.

I thought Mercon V was semi-syn.? The stuff I put in my Ford was Valvoline Mercon V semi-syn with 'shudder control'. I would think Motorcraft would be just as good. How about a trans cooler for when you're towing?

I just flushed my parents AX4N with Amsoil and the shifts seem to be much less "sloppy" than before the flush. I also run the Amsoil in my Jeep and am happy with the fluid.

Quote:

Dump in a bottle of Lubegard (I believe its the red one) for Ford transmissions. Its about $12 at local parts stores. Meant more for a shudder problem common in Fords than a hard shift but can't hurt.

I agree, good advice, but I think the LG for Fords is the one in the green bottle.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, good advice, but I think the LG for Fords is the one in the green bottle.

I just called Lubegard. They said that if I already have Mercon V in my tranny, then I need to go with the red stuff. They said the green stuff is for if I want to convert standard Mercon to Mercon V... But if I already have M-V, and I just want the benefits of Lubegard, then I need the red stuff... Looks like I'll be visiting my local Napa today at lunch.

Lubegard red or platinum should be used if you have an OEM equivalant ATF. Lubeguard also sells a little tube of instant shudder fix, which won't overfill your transmission.

Makes me wonder if your dealer flush was "complete". Shudder is usually caused by tired fluid or incorrect fluid. Hopefully they didn't just do a partial pan drop change. You need to explain the details of the so-called dealer flush.

You'll have to drain some old ATF prior to adding a full bottle of ANY transmission protectant. I say 'any' because lubegard is not the only company making them. You probably have a different brand at each different autoparts store.

Since you tow, I would definitely recommend a full synthetic ATF for your application. ATF doesn't have to look or smell bad to be bad. Consider an ATF temp gauge to monitor temps when towing. A filter kit should also be considered.

Quote:

Lubegard red or platinum should be used if you have an OEM equivalant ATF. Lubeguard also sells a little tube of instant shudder fix, which won't overfill your transmission.

Makes me wonder if your dealer flush was "complete". Shudder is usually caused by tired fluid or incorrect fluid. Hopefully they didn't just do a partial pan drop change. You need to explain the details of the so-called dealer flush.

You'll have to drain some old ATF prior to adding a full bottle of ANY transmission protectant. I say 'any' because lubegard is not the only company making them. You probably have a different brand at each different autoparts store.

Since you tow, I would definitely recommend a full synthetic ATF for your application. ATF doesn't have to look or smell bad to be bad. Consider an ATF temp gauge to monitor temps when towing. A filter kit should also be considered.

Regarding the dealer flush, they DID do a machine flush. However, the did NOT drop the pan or change the filter. The recommend changing the filter every-other fluid change...

To get some fluid out prior to adding the Lubegard, it is ok to pump some out through the dipstick/filler tube?

Check the level 1st. If you are low, you won't have to. But, if you're already full to the top, then dipstick tube siphoning is the easiest way.

Yeah, I've recently checked my fluid, and it appears to be just slight above the full mark. So this would also be a good time to get the fluid down to the proper level.

A good transmission rebuilder friend of mine said to pull the pan down and retorque ALL the valve body bolts on this unit to 105-110 inch/lbs. during a normal service such as a filter change, the standard procedure at their transmission shop. These units are known for crossleakage, which can cause this shudder, and there may even be a Ford TSB for this as well. The typical TC lockup shudder would not come into play here as this is during the 1-2 shift. Also I second all of Undummy's comments, such as the tube of shudderfix before using other Lubegard products at this time.

Quote:

A good transmission rebuilder friend of mine said to pull the pan down and retorque ALL the valve body bolts on this unit to 105-110 inch/lbs. during a normal service such as a filter change, the standard procedure at their transmission shop. These units are known for crossleakage, which can cause this shudder, and there may even be a Ford TSB for this as well. The typical TC lockup shudder would not come into play here as this is during the 1-2 shift. Also I second all of Undummy's comments, such as the tube of shudderfix before using other Lubegard products at this time.

I already went to Napa and picked up 2 bottles of the red Lubegard ATF Protectant (the red stuff). I plan on adding it to my tranny this evening. 14 ounces of it (for a recommended ratio of 1 ounce per 1 quart of fluid. Worse case, it won't make it any worse, right?

You are correct. This will not hurt a thing. The red bottle stuff is not really made to modify the friction coefficient of the fluid, but rather as a fluid protectant, to make it last longer and lubricate better in service. I would be surprised, but happy for you if this helps to straighten out your 1-2 shift feel. You could still add the tube of "Shudderfix" later if needed to help any remaining shudder/roughness. It works. Keep us posted.

Is the rough 1-2 shift all the time, or only when you're not towing heavy loads? My V-10 Dodge ('98, 47RE tranny also used behind the diesel engine) had a rough 1-2 shift (all were kind of rough, but 1-2 was especially so) during "normal" driving, even with a decent load in the bed. However, whenever I would pull/tow very heavy things, the 1-2 shift was absolutely imperceptible outside of engine noise. Just curious whether yours is the same.

Quote:

Is the rough 1-2 shift all the time, or only when you're not towing heavy loads? My V-10 Dodge ('98, 47RE tranny also used behind the diesel engine) had a rough 1-2 shift (all were kind of rough, but 1-2 was especially so) during "normal" driving, even with a decent load in the bed. However, whenever I would pull/tow very heavy things, the 1-2 shift was absolutely imperceptible outside of engine noise. Just curious whether yours is the same.

Well I don't tow all that often... But from what I can remember, I don't recall noticing a rough 1-2 shift when towing. Only when NOT towing... Were you able to cure your rough shifts?

Well last night I syphoned about 3 quarts of ATF out of my tranny. I added 14 ounces of Lubegard ATF Protectant (the red), and filled it up with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (Mercon V compatible)... I didn't notice a significant improvement over about 50 miles of city driving. So this afternoon I went down to my local Car Quest and picked up a packet of Lubegard's Dr. Tranny Instand Shudder Fixx. I just put it in about 20 miles ago, so I really haven't had enough time to see if it fixed the shudder or not... Time will tell, and I'll keep the thread updated.

Thanks to all for your recommendations!

*** By the way, what do these additives (such as Instant Shudder Fixx) actually do? Do they cause the tranny to slip more or less? A novice's thinking (such as mine) says that the additives would make the ATF more slippery, thus it would make the tranny slip more..??.. But that's just a guess... On the other hand, isn't more slipping bad for a tranny because it generates more heat??

Quote:

Well I don't tow all that often... But from what I can remember, I don't recall noticing a rough 1-2 shift when towing. Only when NOT towing... Were you able to cure your rough shifts?

You bet; I just towed my potato planter around all the time!
wink.gif
j/k

Actually, there was no "fix" because it was not a shudder problem, just a distinctly rough shift. I changed the fluid and filter at short intervals with Red Line C+ ATF and that didn't matter. I just wrote it off as a design tradeoff to make the tranny work "properly" (or at least last properly) when working the truck. Same as how I didn't care for the jackhammer ride if/when the truck was empty but was very glad most of the time for the capability to carry around all the parts, tools, supplies, fuel, welder/generator... you get the idea.

Let us know whether any of the additives help, but personally I wouldn't hold my breath or expect a fix from that kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back