Synthetic atf as p/s fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer that has requested GM cold weather power steering fluid for their vehicle, p/n 19329449. We are located in northern Alberta, Canada and was told that this fluid may not be available and that it must be ordered out of the United States. I have used Pennzoil LV atf as a power steering fluid in several older vehicles that have had power steering hoses blow off in cold weather(usually the return or cooler hoses). I am having trouble locating a synthetic power steering fluid. The vehicle in question is a 2014 Chevy Tahoe that gets lots of cold weather use and is often parked outside. I am looking for recommendations as to what fluid to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use Maxlife ATF for Ford and GM units. I suspect the Pennzoil LV should work well. But what does GM recomnend? Also Shell tech line can provide further guidance.

welcome2.gif

Any ATF that meets Dexron VI standards will be fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Any ATF that meets Dexron VI standards will be fine
smile.gif

I agree.

Use any synthetic ATF that meets Dexron VI. Look for the best cold ratings you can find. Alberta gets mighty cold.

Also
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Last edited:
I've used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for years in Calgary. Not quite as cold as up north, but it works very well here during cold snaps.

hurt.png

Originally Posted by tcp71
I've used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for years in Calgary. Not quite as cold as up north, but it works very well here during cold snaps.

I've used M1 ATF for the last 25 years or so and have never had a PS pump or trans fail with this fluid. It only gets down to -10F here, but works well at that temp.

Last edited:
Yea any Syn fluid that meets Dex-VI spec will work fine and be over kill to be honest. Cars and trucks ran Dex-III (or even 2) for decades with no issues. Never even heard of a steering fluid flush till quick lube shops started doing it, yet cars ran just about forever with older fluids never being changed.

Anyone who has been in Fairview, Alberta in January put up your hand. This ain't no Kansas, Dorthy. Minus 25 F in January is just a crispy day; wait till it gets cold.

Actually, Rock Auto has the cold weather AC Delco power steering fluid for about $17 CDN for 32 oz plus maybe $10 for shipping. You'd have it within a week if the dang post office was not on strike. Not saying you need it but it's easy to get. Keep warm!
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back