SUV Stalling After ATF Change

I could see it happening on a FWD vehicle if the airbox needed moved out of the way and someone unplugged the MAF. I've started my Honda's a couple of times now forgetting to plug things back in over on that side of the engine. One day it was the throttle body, one time it was another sensor over there. Easy to do sometimes.

Or leave a vacuum line off....same deal.

Last edited:
Not very, as in, like never?

I wonder if something got unplugged--was this a job you did, or someone else? Stuff happens. Heck it may be completely unrelated, if the vehicle is old enough.
I changed the ATF then drove it about 25 miles the next day and it stalled three times and the wrench symbol showed up on the dash

I changed the ATF then drove it about 25 miles the next day and it stalled three times and the wrench symbol showed up on the dash
Wrench? guess I'm used to it looking like an engine.

What is it? can you pull codes? It might not be just generic ODBII codes, but it'd still be more info.

Pure swag but I have to wonder if it's unrelated. Something else gave up the ghost. The timing is eerie but if it's old enough, random things happen randomly.

Look in the owners manual where they show what the icons mean - maybe it will point you in the right direction. Some cars it means service due and others it means there's an issue with a certain system in the vehicle.

Follow Up : I still dont know the cause of the stalling but I drove it the next day and up until today it hasn't stalled out . I'm guessing there's a ATF sensor that wasn't giving an accurate reading and would cause the vehicle to stall to protect the Transmission .

Follow Up : I still dont know the cause of the stalling but I drove it the next day and up until today it hasn't stalled out . I'm guessing there's a ATF sensor that wasn't giving an accurate reading and would cause the vehicle to stall to protect the Transmission .
That’s a long shot...but perhaps.

Usually, limp mode, caused by a misreading sensor, sticks the trans in second, or third, and leaves it there. It doesn’t cause a stall.

First thought to me is a ruined transmission by using the wrong fluid, one place not to experiment with transmission fluids, unless you are a transmission tech that likes to remove them and work on em. Always use what the manual says to use, or else!

First thought to me is a ruined transmission by using the wrong fluid, one place not to experiment with transmission fluids, unless you are a transmission tech that likes to remove them and work on em. Always use what the manual says to use, or else!

Yeah I’m wondering either that or the fluid level is way wrong. Like if they drained the engine oil instead of trans by accident or filled it in the wrong one.

Ford Edge
Valvoline ATF ... Blue Bottle
Model year?

There are several types of Valvoline that come in blue bottles; ATF+4, Dex/Merc, Dex VI/Mercon LV and CVT. I'm thinking the wrong fluid was used. I'm also thinking that the converter clutch isn't/wasn't releasing stalling the engine due to incorrect fluid 🤷‍♂️

Back