Super Tech 5w-30 - 1st Auto-Rx run 3,000 93 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
252,500 miles on a 1993 Honda Civic D-15B7 1.5L
3000 miles on oil
Super Tech Dino w/Auto-Rx initial cleaning dose
Reason for UOA is suspected headgasket leak unknown before Auto-Rx application.

Aluminum 4
Chromium Copper 8
Iron 4
Lead 8
Tin Silicon 6
Potassium 3
Sodium 40
Moly 217
Water Oxidation 10.5
Viscosity 11.1
Glycol ND
confused.gif

Fuel TBN 7.5
Nitration SAE @ 100 30

No other data reported. I purchased a prepaid 3 pack of UOA from Oil Guard many years ago. Oil analysis program was assimilated by Western Lubrication.

Sodium was flagged as high - so my ? is if it is coolant why no detection of glycol? Is the sodium caused by Auto-Rx?

UOA experts your comments please.
popcorn.gif

On the bottom of the bottle, you should see a WPP, if you see a G from grahm packaging, then it's a Sopus product, or if the bottles are shaped like a mobil bottle then it's a mobil product. Let me know, please.

Bottle has a molded Wne on the bottom. Black imprinting on bottle above back label is 03:53 7200 W72555 7205

Then again these are newer bottles that I bought for an auto-rx rinse. Not sure if the UOA sample is the same lot.

Quote:

On the bottom of the bottle, you should see a WPP, if you see a G from grahm packaging, then it's a Sopus product, or if the bottles are shaped like a mobil bottle then it's a mobil product. Let me know, please.

Where did you get that info? If it says WPP then it's from WPP corp, not SOPUS...they don't own WPP.
http://www.wd-wpp.com/

You must have misunderstood my post. If it say WPP=Warren Performance Products(Warren Distribution). G=Grahm Packaging(bottler for Sopus. or mobil style bottle= Mobil.

Quote:

You must have misunderstood my post. If it say WPP=Warren Performance Products(Warren Distribution). G=Grahm Packaging(bottler for Sopus. or mobil style bottle= Mobil.

none of the above

Anyhow regardless of the low budget UOA and lack of elemental data who makes this run of ST etc., .... anyone care to chime in on the high sodium level and lack of glycol?
smile.gif

Lets see if i can answer at least one of your questions. Auto-Rx uses oil as a carrier and does not change oil chemistry or viscosity, sodium-lack of glycol this is best explained by oil analysis best done by Terry Dyson.

If Specialty Petroleum is now supplying SuperTech in your area, than that would explain the sodium, They use it as an additive. Any idea on the previous oil used? If it was a mobil product, they too use a sodium derived additive component. Thise are my explanations for the trace sodium. Otherwise all wear numbers look very good. Sorry for hijacking the post. Good luck with this vehicle!

Do a UOA search of "mobil clean" using quotation marks as shown. You will see plenty of sodium w/o glycol. If you have any of the ST oil left, send it in for a VOA.

Is'nt that a lot of moly for supertech? I also saw Wne on the bottom of supertech bottles at my local store, they were also shaped differant.

I think it means you don't have a leaking head gasket after all. Perhaps your dissappearing coolant is from a leak that is only happening at operating temperature...and it's going out on the ground. Next time you get you car up to temperature, park it, keep it running, get out and look at all the hoses/connections to find where it is leaking.

Quote:

Is'nt that a lot of moly for supertech? I also saw Wne on the bottom of supertech bottles at my local store, they were also shaped differant.

That is a good dose of moly.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

OK, supertech High milage 10w40 I bought has the wpp, but is in the big pour spout identicle to Mobil bottle.
dunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

I think it means you don't have a leaking head gasket after all. Perhaps your dissappearing coolant is from a leak that is only happening at operating temperature...and it's going out on the ground. Next time you get you car up to temperature, park it, keep it running, get out and look at all the hoses/connections to find where it is leaking.

Been there done that already. Here is the other thread that covers the entire issue. Auto-Rx 250,000 Civic & leaking main seal ???

For the sake of being brief the Civic is leaking oil at the headgasket area. It's very obvious once you look at it with a small inspection mirror. No external coolant leaks have ever been found. It does seem to be consuming a small amount of coolant at higher operating temps. For this reason the car never leaves the local area until it's fixed. Honda issued a service bulletin years ago to address this exact issue. OE head gasket was replaced at the 100,000 mile mark or so. The independatant shop never had a clue about the service bulletin, never checked for warpage and worst of all reused the headbolts.

Out of necessity and the sake of the job being done right I will replace it shortly myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back