Sunbelt's VIPRE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Sunbelt software released it's Vipre product, single engine, dual purpose. Guess it was too new to see how it fared vs. the competition.

I installed the 15 day trial several days ago, and yes it seems as light on resources as their website states it is. I had to remove almost all of the other stuff *Avast-free, *disable WinDefender, *others, in response to the install warnings.

A website that reviewed the product stated that it missed on some rootkits. So I emailed Sunbelt, and they suggested using other products in tandem with VIPRE. I wrote back and asked them which ones...he couldn't say but stated that using products with active scanning would interfere with VIPRE. To me that means no additional live protection. Great. I'd just love to contract a rootkit one of these days...

So I took a chance and installed the free Threatfire. Upon the next several reboots the puter would lock up totally, and I had to remove TF in Vista's safe mode. My conclusion is VIPRE is likely going to be incompatible with *anything* that is 'active' -- which is what I would prefer to have running alongside it. Oh, and the tech "explained" in his reply that: no product catches everything. OK, but how about a little more focus on making a product that excels, and that certainly does not let rootkits slip by? With black magic getting smarter, I believe it's only a matter of time before simply viewing a webpage might result in loading an instantaneous installation of an unwanted rootkit, or worse, right past the "protection".

I will say that where Avast-free would seem to make the puter a bit stallish and clunky, perhaps ever-so-slightly jerky while it was active, VIPRE causes none of that. 2.7 ghz dual core.

Here's the link and their conclusions:
LINK**http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326526,00.asp**LINK-END

Bottom Line
Vipre's overall scores are almost as high as those of Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 6. It detected every malware sample and removed most. It did, however, leave a couple of rootkits running. But it's still more effective than almost all of its competition.

Pros
Detected every installed malware sample and removed most. Deleted many malware installers on sight, detected remainder during install, blocked most. Certified for virus detection by West Coast Labs.

Cons
Failed to remove two rootkits. Failed to block installation of two rootkits. Many modified samples evaded its detection.

MY CONCLUSION: I really like it so far, it is non-intrusive and seems to have no adverse affects. However, I am not sure it adds much to the overall protection landscape that an Avast combined with other "free" anti this-and-thats might provide.

In view of its several shortcomings with respect to rootkits, I just might take a pass for now.

Thanks for the tip Ed!

I use Counterspy at my job for all computers. It works nicely. I understand that no one-vendor solution will remove everything as that would be the panacea of Windows security.

Using more than a single real-time anti-spyware scanner is a bad idea and should be avoided like a Roseanne Barr bathing suit contest.

Assuming Vipre gives adequate protection, I'm really curious to see if it doesn't bog down a system like it says it doesn't. That would be a real plus for the computers that are 3+ years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back