Summertime/Vacation

Heading to Cape May New Jersey for the next week. Yes, happy wife -- happy life -- soo they say. First road trip in the new Rav4 Hybrid. Before we take off alittle later, having breakfeast with my best friend. Little things... What is on your agenda for this summer BITOGers????

Can’t seem to ever use “PTO” and beginning to realize there’s a certain injustice when working for “the man.” Yes we are afforded the ability to pay bills and save as a result, but it’s too much. I’m on call this weekend and have to be in the office Monday. That’s a cost

I’ll be watching for texts and phone calls ready to deal with incidents this weekend 😊

No long trips planned this year in the RV. Wife's mom is under hospice care and she's out there till at least the end of July or the ending. The boys and I are ready to head out to CA anytime. Already cancelled the July 4th lake trip so just going to my parents farm instead and spend time with them instead. But before we go there on Monday have to head out to western KS from my great aunt's funeral. Unusual year for us.

No long trips planned this year in the RV. Wife's mom is under hospice care and she's out there till at least the end of July or the ending. The boys and I are ready to head out to CA anytime. Already cancelled the July 4th lake trip so just going to my parents farm instead and spend time with them instead. But before we go there on Monday have to head out to western KS from my great aunt's funeral. Unusual year for us.
Prayers be with you my friend.

Before we take off a little later, having breakfast with my best friend.
Probably a good idea to spend some time with your best friend before embarking on a lengthy 24/7 stay with your wife, LOL. :cry:

I'm an odd ball with 45 years marriage under my belt. I never liked that idea of referring to one's spouse as best friend (maybe you aren't??), just like you shouldn't be best friends with your kids nor best friends with subordinates at work. I do understand the concept, but there are things you share with your best friend that maybe you don't with your spouse, and vice-versa. Best friend and spouse can end up equally VERY important in your life, but in different ways. Just my view.

In the same vein, I never put significance in wearing a wedding ring (mine got smashed at work early on). I don't need something to signify my marriage devotion or tell others I'm married. Just me. I understand the importance to some.

Enjoy your vacation!!!!!!!! And likewise, prayers and best wishes to Eric Smith and family.

Last edited:
Heading to Cape May New Jersey
Lived there for two years when I was in the USCG. Marvelous little jewel. Very nice boardwalk. Had an apartment right on the mall. I don't do road trips anymore. I'll be going to my beach house on Topsail Island and spending the week. We decorate the place with flags and bunting for the 4th of July. The whole island is addicted to firework displays and beach parties. Population swells from ~900 residents to tens of thousands. Bars and live music are non-stop.
1688044452788.jpg

Happy times!🍻🍺 🎆🎇🇺🇲🇺🇲

Good question. We have two weeks in Vegas planned this summer. My mother in law has been ill. Went through cancer treatment last year so we didn't take any vacations. Her cancer treatment was successful so they say but very time consuming and my wife is ready for some vacation time as dealing with her mother is very stressful. However, now her mother has some mysterious leg pains that have greatly reduced her mobility. She won't take pain killers for fear of addiction, she stopped taking muscle relaxers because they make her sleep too much, she stopped the chiropractor because she didn't like his personality, she stopped physical therapy today because it's not working and she's in too much pain to go there, she won't sign up for grocery store delivery for fear of her credit card getting stolen, she won't use a cane because she's too vain. Sorry for the vent.

Heading to Cape May New Jersey for the next week. Yes, happy wife -- happy life -- soo they say. First road trip in the new Rav4 Hybrid. Before we take off alittle later, having breakfeast with my best friend. Little things... What is on your agenda for this summer BITOGers????
Taking the kids down to San Antonio this weekend for the free Seaworld tickets they gave to veterans. Also talked about maybe going to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach sometime in late Aug./early Sept. but don't know if we'll do that for sure.

This year I decided I want to go to another Major League Baseball ⚾️ game. I’ve been to two in my lifetime. So told my parents they were cool with it and told me to pick a stadium that was in driving distance. So I originally chose Philadelphia Phillies because they were going to be playing my second favorite team that week the Milwaukee Brewers. Dad said no he wouldn’t drive in the city of Philadelphia so had to rethink. First chose Baltimore but that’s too dangerous so then decided on Pittsburgh Pirates PNC park as the place where we would go. So July 15th we will be at PNC Park in Pittsburgh to see the San Francisco Giants @ Pittsburgh Pirates. I will be on vacation from July 17th-21st. The Saturday is when we will be in Pittsburgh. We might see a couple games while we are there. We already purchased tickets for the Saturday game with fireworks. We don’t have a place lined up to stay yet as none of the hotels in the immediate area are in our price range. We can’t find anything under $150 a night that’s just too expensive for us so we will probably have to stay a little bit away from the stadium. We are already scraping trying to afford everything. I already ordered me and my dads hats they should be here by Saturday. I get paid tonight so this weekend we will have to look for an affordable hotel that won’t break the bank. I bought tickets, parking pass and hats so hopefully my parents can help a little bit with the hotel. They want to stay at an AirBNB but I said no because it’s not vacation if you don’t stay in a hotel. I love hotels because you get free unlimited bars of soap and it always has that nice hotel scent in a hotel which I love. I told them if I was paying for any part of it we were going to stay in a hotel. I hate cities but unfortunately every MLB park is in a major city. My goal is to eventually visit all of them or at least see every team play.

Next year I want to plan everything better. Just this year I had everything planned but I couldn’t get dad to want to drive in any of the cities I chose like Atlanta or anything because I really wanted to go south instead of north. I had picked the week specifically for the Diamondbacks @ Braves game as I love the Diamondbacks they are fourth on my list of top 5 or for the Brewers @ Phillies game. But he said no Atlanta either wouldn’t put up with the traffic. Understandable I guess but a huge disappointment to me but I guess I should have asked first and at least I’ll still get to watch baseball. The Pirates are my 5th favorite team. And on my part I will never step foot on a plane so everything we do has to involve driving. You will not find me near an airplane unless it’s the abandoned one that my company owns or a boneyard of them. And to be clear I’m not upset that he didn’t want to go where I had planned and made my schedule around. He is a truck driver and has been to every major city in the lower 48 states so he knows his way around and the good and bad cities. He has been trucking since 1981. You never know when it comes time to go to San Diego to see my Padres play I might tough up and go on a plane lol.

Along with the MLB game we might hit up some minor league baseball parks as well and we are going to go to Tazewell and Bluefield Virginia the area we are originally from to see my dads side of the family.

Nothing for me probably. I had/have a few weddings coming up for cousins but that's about it. I used to do a lot of National Park visits just about every weekend but the huge influx of visitors and subsequent timed-entry for a lot of the parks have turned me off from visiting this year.

Forget the happy wife, happy life lie. Needs to be "happy spouse, happy house". 😉

Back