Success with yellowed headlights - 3M products

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Ive been driving my fiancee's integra while she is home for the holidays, and being a nice few past days, I changed the oil (went to pennz Pt from M1 to see how the car likes it) and did some detailing work.

One of the big issues that her car has is that her headlights are very yellow and hazy, from UV or whatnot. While in NAPA the other day, we found two 3m products, #39017 plastic cleaner and 39010 plastic polish. The cleaner explicitly says that it is good for use on headlights, and the polish says that it helps restore optical clarity. Tonight, after washing and waxing, we used this two setp system on her integra (178k miles of headlight use) and my father's toyota previa, which has 203k miles of headlight use. Both are 94 models, and ALL materials that are rubber or plastic on the honda product are in lousier condition than those on the toyota product, including the headlight lenses.

We did both vehicles, and WOW, what a difference! Did the cleaner first, than the polish, per the instructions, and it worked great! The toyota lights were barely yellow, and only slightly hazy, and they leaned up to clear and white. The acura lights were really hazy and yellow, and they cleaned up perfectly - I couldnt have asked better from the much newer units Ive looked at on ebay for potential purchase. The lights on the integra are particularly striking, as the lenses are clear (there are projectors under the lenses on the acura), as opposed to the toyota, which has a design in the headlight lens, like old sealed beams and whatnot used to have.

Stupid me, I didnt take any pictures... But less than 20 minutes, and it worked GREAT!

We will be doing it next on my mother's 97 plymouth breeze, which has some hazing and slight yellowing on the upper half of the lights, as well as on my father's MB, which are generally as hazy and yellow as the toyota's lights were. I will take pics for those...

It amazes me how well this stuff works, we tried the very tiny grit progressive wetsanding method on my father's MB once before, and while it helped, it didnt do that much. The improvement this time was profound, and Im sure that when we do the MB and take comparisson pics, it will be VERY obvious.

So, if you have hazy headlights, give this stuff a try... less than 20 minutes and $20.

Here is a link from amazon that shows both products, just so you know what Im talking about... we got ours at the local NAPA:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-39017-Plastic-Cleaner-8Oz/dp/B0002U268W

JMH

Good to know. Now I know how to make plastic look new again! Did you get a UOA done on this stuff? I wonder what kind of basestocks 3M is using?
wink.gif

You do need to be careful using anything abrasive or solvent tont he polycarbonate headlamps on teh MB. Threason is that they are UV coated to reduce yellowing.
You have almost certainly removed the coating.

UkDiesel,
The lights were hazing and yellowing anyway! The head light lenses were in need of some help! Now the head light lenses are clear and the owner is happy with still more 3M plastic cleaner/polish product leftover should the situation happen again.

I was told to use brasso. I have seen it work.

also walmart has a new headlight cleanrd called plastic x I think. it costs 10.00 for a complete bottle. I haven't used it but I will try it next time I need something. let me know what you guys find out about either of these products.
bob

In September 06, I used some chrome polish on a wet cloth on the lenses of my wifes Lexus RX-300. I rubbed very lightly until the haze was gone and then used a carnuba wax as my final step. The head light lenses came out perfect at that time. I will do it again in the spring as the haze is already starting to show up again. Also, as UkDiesel has stated, that there is a UV protection(a.k.a. Acrylic) on the head light lenses that protects the lenses from hazing/yellowing. IT AIN'T WORKIN! I see alot of new vehicles today with their head lights that are hazing/yellowing. All MFG's need to do a better job!

I've been usinthe 3M cleaner and polish combo on the tbird lights for about 4 yrs now, and it works great; I do need to do it every v6 months or so, but it's well worth it.

Quote:

This sounds like a dumb question...

but why don't car makers just use glass and not plastic for the headlight lenses ???
dunno.gif

I suppose 'theoretically' it would cost the original buyer more in pouirchase price and the end user more in replacement costs for a glass-lens light... but have you seen the prices for light assemblies?!?!?!?!?!
shocked.gif

It would make more sense to me to have glass lenses... IMO, they are a bit harder, they dont have UV/yellowing issues, and would look better and likely perform better in time. But then again, everyone wants their throw away wal-mart junk that they replace after 2-3 years, right?

JMH

Beleive it or not! MFG's use plastic over glass a not only a cost savings but a weight savings as well. When the MFG factors in all of the areas of a vehicle that they can save some weight, the total savings is HUGE compared to years ago.

I miss being able to replace headlights without having to open the hood. The last car I had like that was an 86 Cavalier. My 2000 Cav ain't much better.
crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back