Subcompact tractor brands?

I just got a 1025R TLB a few months ago. Love it. It came down to Kubota or Deere. I went with the deere due to better dealer network where I live mainly. I will say it was a tough call, watch the comparison videos on youtube if you need to decide between those two.

We do not have any mahindra or kioti dealers nearby so that ruled them out, while researching I kept seeing people having problems with parts availability on the kioti machines and it appears to have gotten much worse due to the corona. There are many good kioti dealers and many bad, just like any, however the john deere dealer in my area will not just close up one day like some of the smaller dealers of other brands sometimes do.

The Deere 1025r lifts more than the kubota and has a tighter turning circle. I like the instrumentation on the kubota better, I like the loader control on the kubota better, both have many great features.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by IndyIan
Tractorbynet is a good forum for all the brands. I've bought a new 2011 Kioti DK40SE and its been pretty good, no major issues so far and I'm at near 700hrs. At the time for the same size and featured Kubota tractor, it was nearly 1/3 more, and this particular dealer was the only one to give me a tour of their shop and talked to their tractor tech. I would limit your brand choice to your local dealers, but unless you get a lemon, you're probably just going to be buying filters for many years. Go visit you local dealers, and if you want to buy a smaller brand tractor just pay attention to how "permanent" the dealership is, if there isn't another one nearby.
Try to figure out what you are going to be doing with it, and compare specs as these tractors can be the same size but vary in weight by a 1000lbs, which is good for some things and bad for others. Personally I'm glad I went with a heavy tractor but I'm in the hills and end up using it for regular farm tractor duties.

Who makes the engine in the kioti, is it in house or a 3rd party.

Kioti(Daedong Industrial Co., LTD. in South Korea) makes most of the parts on Kioti tractors, including the engines. Now in my tractor Kanzaki in Japan makes the HST, and probably on the smaller tractors too. Bobcat is now selling Kioti's in white again as well.
I believe my loader is made in North Carolina, and that's where the tractors are shipped to from Korea. If you have a good local dealer, they are worth a look anyways, fit and finish pretty much match Kubota, Kioti has a lot of features standard that others charge for, and they are pretty heavy but not to crude like some of the Mahindra's out of India, although the scut Mahindra's are Japanese or Korean I believe. If you want to move dirt though, some of the Mahindra's are heavy heavy beasts. They had 40hp tractors 1000lbs heavier than mine which is 1000lbs heavier than some of the lighter 40hp tractors...

Originally Posted by thastinger
Originally Posted by thastinger
I wouldn't buy one of the compacts to mow grass with, for a ton less money you can buy a "prosumer" zero turn (like a Ferris IS700), that'll mow circles around a tractor, not rut up your lawn and you can cut around trees much much faster.

If you want to run a 4 foot roto tiller or pull some cultivators, then you can find a good shape farmall C or super C for around 3K, parts are everywhere and they are bulletproof (I have a 49 C)

If the loader is the main thing used, then yeah, one of the subs is pretty good bang for the buck

I started down the mower front but the list of work outgrew it.

Here in farm and horse country its really hard to find good used gear as it tends to be all used up.

UD

Gotcha, so you're going to run a bush hog with it?

...Possibly..

I may end up with articulating pinchers for some log work on a friends property so loader strength may be an issue w the kubie...

UD

Last edited:
A nice wide 3 pt finish mower is pretty good for an open lawn atleast, and if you are thinking about lifting logs with a grapple on the loader you are getting into a much bigger tractor. A light grapple is 3-4-500lbs depending on width and a 1500lb log isn't all that big. A used 2wd 50-60hp loader tractor is relatively cheap if your land is flat enough to use it, and with some big turf tires you can still mow with it too.

The deere loader completely outperforms the Kubota on the loader, but cant hold its bucket up or curl when filled with dirt -
It seems it should have a narrower bucket.

The Deere has a 3 pound lift capacity and a .2" height advantage with the pin on style buckets. Having both on the family (brothers-in-law has a 1025R and I have a BX23S), I can tell you that they are identical when it come to the work that they can do. Don't even bother comparing the SSQA and quick attach loaders; if you are in the market for quick attach loader accessories, you are looking at the wrong class of tractors, bump up to the B and 2 series.

A nice wide 3 pt finish mower is pretty good for an open lawn atleast, and if you are thinking about lifting logs with a grapple on the loader you are getting into a much bigger tractor. A light grapple is 3-4-500lbs depending on width and a 1500lb log isn't all that big. A used 2wd 50-60hp loader tractor is relatively cheap if your land is flat enough to use it, and with some big turf tires you can still mow with it too.

This is pretty close to what Id be dealing with, and it looks like it's handling it fine, or at least acceptably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHGRxenfK9c

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued

The deere loader completely outperforms the Kubota on the loader, but cant hold its bucket up or curl when filled with dirt -

The Deere has a 3 pound lift capacity and a .2" height advantage with the pin on style buckets. Having both on the family (brothers-in-law has a 1025R and I have a BX23S), I can tell you that they are identical when it come to the work that they can do. Don't even bother comparing the SSQA and quick attach loaders; if you are in the market for quick attach loader accessories, you are looking at the wrong class of tractors, bump up to the B and 2 series.

I trust the kubota brand more, but it seems really challenged on the loader capacity

Based on this vid Id have a problem with something like an accessorized big block on a pallet

No hay espacio suficiente for anything larger than a subcompact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ_8i-XMMMc

Last edited:
I have a B series Kubota that I use for cutting grass along with loader work and pushing snow and grading my driveway. The problem you are going to have with a smaller tractor is that you will have to have the rear tires loaded or a backhoe attached all the time you are doing loader work or the rear wheels will come off the ground in a heart beat. I have the tires loaded and a back blade attached when ever I need to move gravel or lift any snow, the issue is with the sub frame and loaded tires even with turf tires I tear up the lawn in turns on any incline and because I have turf tires I also had to buy chains for the front and rear if I am in any soft dirt or snow. Everything is a trade off when you want to do everything with one unit but the one constant is I always wish I had bought the L and a used zero turn.

Originally Posted by samven
I have a B series Kubota that I use for cutting grass along with loader work and pushing snow and grading my driveway. The problem you are going to have with a smaller tractor is that you will have to have the rear tires loaded or a backhoe attached all the time you are doing loader work or the rear wheels will come off the ground in a heart beat. I have the tires loaded and a back blade attached when ever I need to move gravel or lift any snow, the issue is with the sub frame and loaded tires even with turf tires I tear up the lawn in turns on any incline and because I have turf tires I also had to buy chains for the front and rear if I am in any soft dirt or snow. Everything is a trade off when you want to do everything with one unit but the one constant is I always wish I had bought the L and a used zero turn.

Yeah I see that coming. I notice all the subcompact guys running weights on the back, and adding tire weights.

UD

I trust the kubota brand more, but it seems really challenged on the loader capacity

Based on this vid Id have a problem with something like an accessorized big block on a pallet

Take a look at the B2301 with the backhoe. I was getting prices for that model back in 2018 around $23K mark (the 2601 was about $2K more if you want more PTO power but then you are dealing with DPF stuff). It is a way more capable machine than either the BX23S or the 1025R yet isn't that big. Back in 2018, the 1025R outgoing models were selling for $21.5K and the updated model was running $22.5 which was a big driver for us going with the BX23S for $17.8K. My wife and I joked that we could go up an entire class of tractor by going orange.

The hydro pedals on the JD were also an issue for me because of my sciatica, I have a very hard time twisting to look behind me while pushing forward on the reverse pedal when I drive my BILs 1025R. Kubota pedals are easier to operate for me at least with my lower back issues.

Take a look at the B2301 with the backhoe. I was getting prices for that model back in 2018 around $23K mark (the 2601 was about $2K more if you want more PTO power but then you are dealing with DPF stuff). It is a way more capable machine than either the BX23S or the 1025R yet isn't that big. Back in 2018, the 1025R outgoing models were selling for $21.5K and the updated model was running $22.5 which was a big driver for us going with the BX23S for $17.8K. My wife and I joked that we could go up an entire class of tractor by going orange.

The hydro pedals on the JD were also an issue for me because of my sciatica, I have a very hard time twisting to look behind me while pushing forward on the reverse pedal when I drive my BILs 1025R. Kubota pedals are easier to operate for me at least with my lower back issues.

Im going to go put a tape measure on a "B" and see what It looks like.

It looks to me that its a closer match to a 1025 than a BX, but I just dont know if I can fit it in my shed.

UD

You should be able to get a larger bucket. Perhaps a debris bucket vs a HD bucket?

Perhaps it's different on the smaller models, but a popular FEL complaint is that Deeres can't lift and curl at the same time.

For anyone clearing snow, moving dirt/ mulch, or other FEL work, I can see this being very annoying.

Just an FYI, there's no emissions junk on the B2601. Same with the B2650 (now the LX 2610?) and the L2501.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad

You should be able to get a larger bucket. Perhaps a debris bucket vs a HD bucket?

Perhaps it's different on the smaller models, but a popular FEL complaint is that Deeres can't lift and curl at the same time.

For anyone clearing snow, moving dirt/ mulch, or other FEL work, I can see this being very annoying.

I think if anything the bucket may be a little too big.

Interesting on the lift/curl. I didnt catch that - Ill look specifically.

Based on the test tractor time did - I wouldn't be able to pick up a big block and put it in the back of a truck or on a trailer.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 9.11.24 PM.png

My advice is to test drive all considered models. Our local Deere dealer also has a pile of dirt and gravel to mess around in as well.

Last edited:
Also the model I looked at was the 3025E, but the smaller models may have the same features. 2 speed transmission. Kubota has 3. Aluminum rear end and apparently not strong enough for a back hoe. Kubota is steel and you can get a BH. Low clearance on the rear axle. Fuel tank is behind the seat with a cheap gas cap gauge. Kubota has a gauge in the dash. JD uses a unique QH system whereas Kubota is universal. I also wasn't a fan of how small the FEL cylinders were, but maybe it's just me being picky. Kubota cylinders are about 25% larger in diameter, but then again JD is doing more with less.

I won't dog on the plastic hoods because that's personal preference.

The semi local dealer also dogged on ‘Bota for being Japanese. He must have been new because JD's of this size are powered by Yanmar. Kubota makes their diesel engines for more than just tractors.

I'll turn my bias comments off now.

*I will say look at the dealer support. Our local local JD dealer is top notch, but it caters to the big farmer. I find myself waiting on parts from my Kubota dealer. Theyre very relaxed. I'm just a landowner though and don't use my stuff for earning my living. It's no big deal to wait or buy online. A farmer with 2000 acres to work not so much.

Last edited:
I evaluated both and bought the Deere 1026R. What won me over were the hydraulic operation and implement availability, not to mention parts and dealers everywhere. I would agree Kubota is the more robust machine, but for a homeowner I felt the Deere was better tailored. For a contractor I'd probably go with Kubota.

We used Kubota engines for small generators we built at work. Top notch engines, rarely a problem. Same from what I hear for Yanmar (bigger in the marine markets). I have 1,200 hours on mine with zero issues. We just adjusted the valve lash, here's how it looked:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Based on the test tractor time did - I wouldn't be able to pick up a big block and put it in the back of a truck or on a trailer.

If you need to lift that kind of weight then I'd get a bigger tractor to start, the difference in price for more capacity isn't that much, as a little tractor has nearly the same amount of parts a bigger tractor does... Even with the good resale value of tractors, its still going to cost quite a bit to trade up if you go one size to small.

If you need to lift that kind of weight then I'd get a bigger tractor to start, the difference in price for more capacity isn't that much, as a little tractor has nearly the same amount of parts a bigger tractor does... Even with the good resale value of tractors, its still going to cost quite a bit to trade up if you go one size to small.

Im going to need to lift more than 350 LB for sure.

Im going to put my implements on a pallet rack and will need to be able to at least lift the implement to put them away.

Maybe the next size up kubota is the ticket.

UD

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
I evaluated both and bought the Deere 1026R. What won me over were the hydraulic operation and implement availability, not to mention parts and dealers everywhere. I would agree Kubota is the more robust machine, but for a homeowner I felt the Deere was better tailored. For a contractor I'd probably go with Kubota.

We used Kubota engines for small generators we built at work. Top notch engines, rarely a problem. Same from what I hear for Yanmar (bigger in the marine markets). I have 1,200 hours on mine with zero issues. We just adjusted the valve lash, here's how it looked:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mirrors my experience - absolutely top shelf.

I had over 6K hours on my Onan 8K (kubota d722) genset - still perfect.

Onan dealer says he's seen them with 10's of thousands of hours.

UD

Back