Subaru Filter Removal

Anyone have magical ways to remove the upside down Subaru filters without having oil fill the entire saucer thing they're mounted in? I try to remove all the crud from the saucer mounting doohickey before removal, but it's different to get all the dirt and gravel out. Then it fills with oil from the filter and I cringe. Quick put the new filter on and use 689 paper towels to sop all the oil out of the filter mount part saucer thingy.

I’ve never had more than just a dribble out of it; I clean the cup with brake cleaner before removing the filter, and let the engine sit for 20 mins before removing it. You could always pull the drain plug first to see if that helps, or you could also puncture a small hole in the dome to release the vacuum if your ADBV is really that strong and let the filter drain a few mins.

I’ve never had more than just a dribble out of it; I clean the cup with brake cleaner before removing the filter, and let the engine sit for 20 mins before removing it. You could always pull the drain plug first to see if that helps, or you could also puncture a small hole in the dome to release the vacuum if your ADBV is really that strong and let the filter drain a few mins.
I had the drain plug out for about 10 minutes as I looked for a filter wrench because the dealer had it reasonably tight from the last change. After finding my filter wrench (nothing is ever where you think it is...) I unscrewed it, no oil mess, slowly unscrewed more with no mess, then another turn and it vomited everywhere. I thought I was winning but then it was like something let loose. A seal, or vacuum, or something in the filter. Anyway, I'll try letting it sit for longer on the ramps with the drain plug out next time. Some YouTube videos also say just be SUPER slow about unscrewing the filter.

I had the drain plug out for about 10 minutes as I looked for a filter wrench because the dealer had it reasonably tight from the last change. After finding my filter wrench (nothing is ever where you think it is...) I unscrewed it, no oil mess, slowly unscrewed more with no mess, then another turn and it vomited everywhere. I thought I was winning but then it was like something let loose. A seal, or vacuum, or something in the filter. Anyway, I'll try letting it sit for longer on the ramps with the drain plug out next time. Some YouTube videos also say just be SUPER slow about unscrewing the filter.
What filter are you using? I’ve used the XG7317 on the ‘18 Forester I maintain most recently, but I’ve also used Napa Gold 7055 as well. I’d say no more than an ounce of oil came out during any filter change.

I just undo it maybe one turn before draining the sump and let it sit for like five minutes. I've never had it flood the cup thing.
Lucky 🤣🤣🤣 I prefer my Toyota's location. Right by the drain plug, easy access, but you just put the oil catch pan below it and unscrew it. Yeah, it leaks, but into a bucket. Makes life easier than the anxiety of slowly unscrewing the vertical one.

What filter are you using? I’ve used the XG7317 on the ‘18 Forester I maintain most recently, but I’ve also used Napa Gold 7055 as well. I’d say no more than an ounce of oil came out during any filter change.
It was a Subaru filter from dealer oil change last. When I have used Fram TG's in the past, no mess. The Subaru filters are like 50/50. My hunch, but no proof, is the Subaru filters like to make messes.

Have never had much get past the ADBV on the M1s and Ultras I've used on our Forester.
I was skeptical at first, but those ADBVs really do seem to work.
Why would you need ramps to get to the drain plug on a Forester?
One of the things I like about it is that there's plenty of ground clearance to get to the oil drain plug without lifting the car.

On one of my previous cars with an upside down can filter my oil change routine was to start by making sure I could unscrew the oil filter, then use a a hammer and flat blade screwdriver to put a small vent hole in the end of the filter. By the time the oil was thoroughly drained from the pan the filter was basically empty too.

Have never had much get past the ADBV on the M1s and Ultras I've used on our Forester.
I was skeptical at first, but those ADBVs really do seem to work.
Why would you need ramps to get to the drain plug on a Forester?
One of the things I like about it is that there's plenty of ground clearance to get to the oil drain plug without lifting the car.
Because they're light (plastic), I can them use my creeper instead of laying in wet pine needles, and it's more exciting when you wonder if the plastic is going to crack and the car will crush you. Plus, with a little more room, my arms drag through the oil catch pan less and I don't have to put stain remover on my laundry.

It sounds like you are already doing the tricks that I use.

The only time I have had the filter oil flood into the catch basin, is when I have 1) not drained the oil pan first, and 2) Waited a few seconds after loosening the filter, before removing it. I have not done as @The Critic suggests, but rather have always started draining the oil pan first. While the oil is draining, I go up top and loosen the oil filter just a turn or two. After waiting just a short while, I spin it off. Sometimes oil is still draining out of the filter, but with the oil pan draining or drained, the oil from the filter runs down into the oil filter lines, and not out into the catch basin.

Oh, I almost forgot. I always take off the oil fill cap before starting to drain oi. It seems to drain faster.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I use Napa Gold (Wix) filters. However, I have also used Subaru 15A, Fram Ultra and a couple other filters. It's been so long since I have used anything but Napa Gold filters, that I can't honestly recall if the oil spilling into the catch basin was related to one filter over another.

Last edited:
I’ve seen Subaru’s oil filter set up and really thought it was great. It looked good. Hearing this, I realize oil changes on my Kia are easy as pie, as in everything is all in one place.
This is kind of how I feel, too. It seems like a good concept but if you still have to get at a drain plug from underneath, my personal experience has been that it's no improvement (I feel the same way about my 3.6 Pentastar).

Then again, I put EVERY oil change on my lift so I'm already walking under the vehicle....so replacing a filter from underneath is no big deal. Maybe the topside filters are better for the DIY crowd.

First thing I do when I get a subaru ready for an oil change is, make sure it's hot, and unscrew the filter enough for it to make the "slurp, slurp slurp" noise and do the rest of the oil change only fully removing and replacing the oil filter last.

Poke a hole on top of the filter.
Anyone have magical ways to remove the upside down Subaru filters without having oil fill the entire saucer thing they're mounted in? I try to remove all the crud from the saucer mounting doohickey before removal, but it's different to get all the dirt and gravel out. Then it fills with oil from the filter and I cringe. Quick put the new filter on and use 689 paper towels to sop all the oil out of the filter mount part saucer thingy.

I never had any messy issues changing the filter on my father's Legacy.

I never had any messy issues changing the filter on my father's Legacy.
Her 2006 was a piece of cake. Filter was under the car. Gasket up. This 2017 would seem like it should be easier with the filter on top of the engine bay.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Back