Student Driver just took YEARS off my motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace the blinker fluid with synthetic, grease the muffler bearing, and clean the kanuter valve- after that you should be good to go.

Nah, didn't hurt it. I won't get into it because it will show how juvenile my friends and I can be, but my friend with the almost 400k 07 civic has done this many times on a hot and cold engine. On purpose. Yes I'm serious.

No biggie, didn't hurt it. Probably sucked some oil thru the pvc or something causing the blue smoke.

Don't lose sleep over it, monitor your oil consumption but this one time incident isn't going to hurt anything.

I had a 86 mustang 5.0, I had, in a fit of anger, hopped in it on a 30 degree day and ran it up to redline in the first three gears. I beat that poor horse every single day I owned it.

I got another story, but I don't want to incriminate myself...

If it makes you feel better I'll zing my xb to the Rev limiter tomorrow afternoon when I leave work. I would do it tomorrow morning at home, but I may as well have an audience at work. Give me something to talk about...lol

It's not going to hurt it. Any oil consumption issues the 2.4 and 2.5 Toyota engines have are from a poor design, not one isolated incident.

It probably scared her, and I'm sure she feels bad. Don't make a big deal about it, cause honestly it's not.

I was a GM tech and the crank angle relearn was done by entering a mode on the tech 2 scan tool, and flooring the car until it hit the Rev limiter. A lot of those were done on a cold engine.

Last edited:
As long as you had 20W50 in the sump your engine will be ok.

Haha it'll be fine. You have no idea how many times I've done that myself. It sounds MUCH scarier than it actually is. Cars are tough!

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
If it makes you feel better I'll zing my xb to the Rev limiter tomorrow afternoon when I leave work. I would do it tomorrow morning at home, but I may as well have an audience at work. Give me something to talk about...lol

It's not going to hurt it. Any oil consumption issues the 2.4 and 2.5 Toyota engines have are from a poor design, not one isolated incident.

It probably scared her, and I'm sure she feels bad. Don't make a big deal about it, cause honestly it's not.

Post a video of it here so we can see!!
laugh.gif
19.gif

[/quote]

Post a video of it here so we can see!!
laugh.gif
19.gif
[/quote]

Heck, I will. When we leave work some days you would think it was a bunch of 16 year Olds leaving the highschool parking lot...lol

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

It probably scared her, and I'm sure she feels bad.

She?

Quote:
In a nutshell that motor she screamed on startup amd then free floated down.

He refered to a she, but rereading it I am unsure if he was referring to the student or the engine. I think he meant the engine, I don't know. It's late...I was asleep and I just got up to go potty and I got sucked into the forums...

He/she don't matter. Stuff happens and I honestly think there is no way this hurt the car. Like I said it's GM procedure to zing the engine off the Rev limiter to relearn crank angle. Engines tend to make weird smells when you do that and Northstar engines were always good about puffing some oil.

Last edited:
If the engine was good for 500,000 miles before, it is now good for 499,998 miles.

It's fine.

Grew up in a small town in South Dakota in the fifties. Neighbor was some eighty year old man that was deaf as a post. Every single start whether at 105 or minus 30 was petal to the metal until he could feel it shake for about thirty seconds. Doubt if he could hear a thing.

It was a '49 Ford and it outlasted him. Kept it for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually had the opportunity to watch car unloading operations from afar at the local port. I didn't see any racing or other shenanigans. It was a line of cars and the route seemed to be laid out for them to follow. I'm not sure of these delivery stories unless they were renegade workers.

Now test drives on new cars can be a mixed bag. I've been lucky to get single digits on most of my new cars.

To the OP, back in the carburetor days a engine would start up fast because the driver floored the pedal when turning the key. You had to give them some gas otherwise it wouldn't start. Today's fuel injection took away that part of the equation. Your oil was pumping very quickly after the motor started so I wouldn't worry.

Wow, if taking years off a 'motor' happens due to a one time event like you described I'd never buy that brand of car. You're worrying about nothing.

Why worry about it? You have 2 options here: A: continue to lose sleep and worry the engine is damaged for the rest of the time you own the car, or B: don't worry about it and assure yourself the engine is fine. Whichever option you choose, it's not gonna change the past. What's done is done, so you might as well choose option B. This has always been my philosophy any time something like this happens to my cars.

If he had it truly floored, it should have cranked for a no-start condition as the ECU kills the injectors if cranking the engine with the accelerator at 100%.

But take heart. I had a family member drive a Ford Escape for three miles with absolutely no oil whatsoever in the sump after a catastrophic oil loss resulting after the filter was sheared off in motion. "But I kept it below 30mph !!" was the defense. Happened 2011 @ 67,000 miles. Now @ 145,000 and still going, no repairs except a boneyard oil pan and filter mount assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back