Strange Cat Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm browsing the owner's manual, run across a rough diagram on the engine compartment. Turns out the Cat is behind a shield between the radiator and the block. Up high under the hood, not in the pipe UNDER the car..

Anyone know why?
dunno.gif

Thought you had problem with live cat! Over the years I've removed feline feet, tails,and one HEAD that had been cut off by belts when cats had climbed into warm cozy bedding area on cool nights and tried to jump out when engine started in the morning! Worst was this summer when my son (works at shop with me) had to remove remains of cooked alive cat from fan shroud after lady drove 20+ miles from home. Cat parboiled from heat coming through radiator.

BUT the catalytic converter location you refer to isn't all that uncommon. Has been use by Ford,Toyota and others I've seen but not sure what brand. Actually been built into exhaust maifold on some models in the past. Not really an ideal location as any over lean condition will cause converter media to sear over from heat .

Bob

The reason cat convertors are now built into the exhaust manifold is for emission requirements. The sooner you heat up the cat the sooner it functions. And this in turn allows the ECU to switch from "open loop" to "closed loop" quicker which allows the engine management system to use input from the rear O2 sensor to monitor emissions and make adjustments.

This is also why OBD-II systems have 4 wire O2 sensors. One pair of wires controls a heater built into the O2 sensor. An O2 sensor also has to be "hot" to function. The heater warms it up until the exhaust gases reach operating temperature.

Daughters '99 1.8L and wifes '01 2.0L Protege are both there. On another note the elbow directly after the cat rotted off on my daughter's, cost from the dealer CAN$150. Wifes was exactly the same except for another tab the size of a quarter it was worth CAN$450, go figure. Ended up buying one from the dealer and made a pair of them from stainless pipe and took the origonal back. I guess that means I only rented it :).
I don't mind paying for parts if they're worth it but it pi**es me off to get ripped....Mike

The wife's 2006 Civic has the CAT up front. It is the first thing you see when you open the hood. I was at a new car show last week and some of the Hondas have the CAT in front of the engine and some behind it but most are right up in the engine compartment.

Axe Man is correct. That's where exhaust is the hottest. This high heat gives good converter efficiency and fast lightoff during warmup.

Is this just one cat in the manifold? I've seen "pre-cats" that are then followed by the regular cat under the floorboards.

Quote:

Is this just one cat in the manifold? I've seen "pre-cats" that are then followed by the regular cat under the floorboards.

True statement. I had a Kia Sportage with a cat in the exhaust manifold as well as a second cat further down the exhaust system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back