STP Maximum Life Oil Filter Defect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
It's strange they use a Fram part number and yet the base plate sure looks like a Purolator.

Everyone (including SuperTech) use a Fram like number.

Nope. Purolator brand filters don't. Pennzoil & Performax label filters don't. Wix & Napa filters don't. Mobil 1 filters don't. OEM filters don't. Many offshore filters like Driveworks don't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I don't see a problem. Though I wish the adbv was on the engine not the filter. Likely to prevent gumming and sticking.

There is no problem because he returned the defective filter with the split in the adbv, a clear, giant picture of it is above, and they gave him a Delco.
smile.gif

I cant view the OP pictures for some reason. I can see yours, I didn't read carefully on my short break, I though you had reloaded the OP photos. I was looking at you Purolator OE unit with the nice gray paint
smile.gif

I'll attempt to repost the pic here:

2mrz155.jpg

Can you view it now?
That's the "classic" Puro non-deburred baseplate "slice & dice"!

bullwinkle
No, it’s not upside down. It’s the redesigned ADBV. Those nubs you are seeing are an answer to the cutting issues of past filters. Also, the back of the baseplate looks nicely finished, with the eight punched holes deburred.

Doesn't look cut to me, more like rubber flashing from the molding process. Hard to tell sometimes just from photos. Would have to cut the filter open to confirm.

I don't see a problem. Though I wish the adbv was on the engine not the filter. Likely to prevent gumming and sticking.

If the ADBV was on the engine it would have to be deigned to last a very long time and be easily serviceable if it failed. Having it in the filter for spin-ons makes more sense.

Originally Posted By: MParr
bullwinkle
No, it’s not upside down. It’s the redesigned ADBV. Those nubs you are seeing are an answer to the cutting issues of past filters. Also, the back of the baseplate looks nicely finished, with the eight punched holes deburred.
I'm just at a loss as to how the ADBV would seal-it has to push back over those holes to prevent draining back, with those ribs it's never going to seal (?).

The adbv seal is around the edge. the ribs don't go to the edge so it seals. I guess the ribs give more spring and keep it closed tighter. But then their other one still gets cuts. They fixed the wrong one.

goodtimes
Go back and look at the C&P Car51 did on the Purolator One PL 14459. You’ll see the new technology being added to these filters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If the ADBV was on the engine it would have to be deigned to last a very long time and be easily serviceable if it failed. Having it in the filter for spin-ons makes more sense.
I think an engine design that's does NOT require an ADBV makes sense. Ive seen too many ADBV problems with new oil formulations in m,y garage lately. Nissan Gonher was the latest - relaxed open and ineffective.

Blame OHC wet timing systems and VVT.
My Nissan does not have hydraulic lash takeup.

Last edited:
Ive seen too many ADBV problems with new oil formulations in my garage lately. Nissan Gonher was the latest - relaxed open and ineffective.

What's new oil formulation have to do with ADBV problems? Maybe if the rubber in the ADBV isn't compatible. I like filters with a silicone ADBV because silicone can take way more abuse (heat, cold, chemicals).

Another piece of junk from Purolator, it's a shame to see "Made in USA" stamped on such an inferior product.

Looks fine to me. I just bought a bunch with the AutoZone special. Most are STP XL though.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Still haven't figured out why it is made. Why does a Chevy Volt need a high performance oil filter? It's a perfect cross to the 3387a.

http://productguide.luber-finer.com/Home/PartDetail?partNo=PH477

Chevy Volt could have up to a 2-year OCI.

The AC Delco filter for the Volt does not have an ADBV.

I have some Parts Plus PH477s. These also do not have an ADBV. I thought they'd be Champ Labs made like the Luber Finer, but they are made in China and say "LEAK TESTED" on the top like many Chinese filters do. They also have a base plate that looks exactly like the one on this Mann filter:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back