Stock air box.. whole new scooter!

When I got the Yamaha CV80 the PO put a UNI pod filter since the airbox had been lost. You really can't change the airflow without rejetting. Got tired of it and airbox showed up on EBay. $70 it's a whole new scooter! Starts up quicker, no more bogging and the biggest win is it's quieter! Can't say it's any slower.

Guess I've to the age everything is staying stock!

Guess I've to the age everything is staying stock!
Funny, even in my younger years I never felt the need or inclination to modify things like air intakes/exhaust/shifters (on manual transmissions) etc.
I loved turning wrenches and fixing/rebuilding things, but adding complexity/attempting to simplify something that was already "good enough" seemed like an exercise in futility.

Guess I'm just weird like that.
🤷‍♂️

carb'ed bikes are a whole system to "upgrade".
If you change one part, you need to look at the entire system. air in, fuel in, fuel out all need to match up.
Yes some carbs are lean from factory for emissions and such and can be tweaked a bit, but for the most part, dont mess with it unless you know what you are doing.
I know on Honda's late 70's early 80's CB bikes, pod filters are just a no-no.
Unless you change to a different style carb, you will not get them running right no matter what you do.

Funny, even in my younger years I never felt the need or inclination to modify things like air intakes/exhaust/shifters (on manual transmissions) etc.
I loved turning wrenches and fixing/rebuilding things, but adding complexity/attempting to simplify something that was already "good enough" seemed like an exercise in futility.

Guess I'm just weird like that.
🤷‍♂️
Growing up I didn't have anyone with enough mechanical skills to do much beyond oil changes etc. So in turn I didn't do any mods to any vehicles till I got older. But by then it was like ugh is this extra power worth the extra noise and fiddling with it. Plus I have sensitive hearing so that rules out anything that adds noise.

Back