still think supertech is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 dodge grand caravan 3.3l motor
just cracked 400k miles no engine repairs ever made rebuilt the tranny anout 40k miles ago and minot things like plugs ect
have used walmart brand supertech 10w30 synthetic since we got it new 6000-7000k mile ocis also use supertech oil filter. runs like new. i just remember all the bashing on this oil. had to share

Originally Posted By: nazareth
99 dodge grand caravan 3.3l motor
just cracked 400k miles no engine repairs ever made rebuilt the tranny anout 40k miles ago and minot things like plugs ect
have used walmart brand supertech 10w30 synthetic since we got it new 6000-7000k mile ocis also use supertech oil filter. runs like new. i just remember all the bashing on this oil. had to share

I think the bashing has subsided some time ago. It turns in excellent UOAs. I don't use it, but I think it's good oil. Thanks for the info, another piece of good news about this lower cost oil!

There is nothing wrong with it. People often bash certain oils and filters but as long as you regularly change it, there should be no issues imo. Modern oil is nothing like what was to be had years ago.

it holds i think 4.8 quarts i just put all five quarts in i never have to put any make up oil in. its doesnt leak oil or burn oil at all. has a small tranny fluid oil leak. ive never done a uoa or anything like that. forgot ive had to replace the fuel pump twice but thats unrelated

Yeah i'd love to see some valve cover pictures just to see how clean ST syn kept the engine.
Was this a van used for hotshot runs or something similar? Because thats a lot of driving.

Even tho oil has a small effect on repairs i'm glad your engine is still going.

doesnt the supertech supplier vary by region? im in indiana, i do believe ours is exxon mobil? wonder what it is in az?

we bought this for dialy driver and travel my children compete in national sports and requires alot of travel all over the country se we rack up alot of miles. my dad has a 01 same motor uses same oil and filters prob goes a little longer on his ocis he has close to 300k on his

yeahthat.gif
OP pull the valve cover off for us crazy BITOG-ers! I'd love to see what the inside looks like and i'm sure you wouldn't mind taking a look as well. All you need is a tube of high temp Gasket maker to seal it back up.

Quote:
doesnt the supertech supplier vary by region?
And that's really the point. There's such a small difference in price between ST and the name brands like QS MC5k, even closer with promos/specials, why go ST? If I had a beater, then fine. Just sayin. But I don't think it's "bad", congrats to OP.

VC's removed pics, would be great.

Eh, supertech is just fine for what it is. Once my stash for the balt runs out (it's running Napa now), I might very well throw some ST syn in there. That is,if I don't nfind a good deal first(much more likely)

Heck < ST dino would be fine...

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
And that's really the point. There's such a small difference in price between ST and the name brands like QS MC5k, even closer with promos/specials, why go ST? If I had a beater, then fine. Just sayin. But I don't think it's "bad", congrats to OP.

Of course its not bad. With proper OCI all modern oils pretty much offer the same basic protection. Saying otherwise is just ignorant. Statements like using it in a beater infer that it somehow will not provide even the basic of protection which is just illogical.

I've never used the regular ST oil but my dad runs the Super Tech Synthetic in his 5cyl Colorado. I even posted a UOA on here a long time back which was really good. The oil is a good 5,000 mile oil in my opinion.

But I agree with most here, it's hard to really get a "bad" oil as long as it meets the specs for your car.

I would have no problems running the oil.

I would not use the filter's anymore, though. At least, the e-core versions.

Originally Posted By: infecto
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

Of course its not bad. With proper OCI all modern oils pretty much offer the same basic protection. Saying otherwise is just ignorant. Statements like using it in a beater infer that it somehow will not provide even the basic of protection which is just illogical.
No,man. It's imply;Not infer.

I was a long time ST user and still use what remains of it in my stash. The only downside to the oil now is it's price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back