Stellantis negative sentiment

I am careful about these type of threads. You run into quite a bit of herd mentality. There is also the trait to forgive and forget issues with products that you have decided are the "Best" and confirmation bias muddies the water of any objective reason. Even supposedly objective measurements can be skewed in many surveys. How many folks have gone and bought aftermarket transmissions from ATS for one of their Big 3 diesel pickups. The stock unit wouldn't hold up to normal use in many cases and rarely with chipped trucks. Even so, the bias for their preferred brand and the disregard/apathy/hatred of other brands does skew surveys and opinion polls even after spending thousands of dollars on an essentially new truck. I know individuals that are so brand loyal they won't consider their own negative experience even if detrimental to their pocketbook. My Grandpappy, My Daddy and everyone in my family ONLY buys...whatever ,and I have nothing but contempt for anything not my brand.

The "I'll never buy brand X" threads on brand forums are absolutely hilarious. Like they don't realize there is an equal amount of threads on the next forum cutting up their truck. 🤦‍♂️

As of a year or two this has changed and Rams are now just as pricey or worse than the others. It's going to bite them hard IMHO.
Yeah, it changed with the introduction of the DT, which was a major improvement over everything else on the market, and their pricing was able to reflect that. We'll see how that fairs for them going forward, now that the DT is aging and Ford/GM are introducing newer platforms that are competitive or even better in some respects.
Getting a "Good" deal on a cheap vehicle, then having to spend half of what your "Deal" cost for repairs you shouldn't have to do, is no deal in anybody's book. Having a bulb that for some reason blows out alot, or having an annoying rattle or squeak, isn't going to cost hardly anything to repair. But when head gaskets fails, or your timing chains stretch to the point it bends a valve when it contacts a piston, or exhaust manifold bolts break, it's not isn't a minor annoyance. It's an expensive repair. When you have to take out a mortgage to have a vehicle repair done, while still paying for that expensive vehicle, you can't help but ask yourself, what is the real cost of owning this vehicle.,,,
What does any of that have to do with you singling out the current RAM? They don't have head gasket failures or timing chain stretch issues. They do have exhaust manifold issues, but so does everyone else's trucks (and SUV's in many cases), and they are often covered under warranty (ours was).

We've got about 60,000 miles on my wife's 1500 DT, and many of those are hard miles. I don't recall exactly what we paid for it after taxes, probably around $55K? I'd have to look it up. We absolutely have not had to spend "half that" on repairs, in fact, we haven't had to pay out of pocket for any repairs on it and it's still on the OE brakes.

It hasn't been problem-free, but it certainly hasn't had any repairs that would have been super expensive out of warranty to warrant such liberal use of the hyperbole with respect to repair costs.

Yeah, it changed with the introduction of the DT, which was a major improvement over everything else on the market, and their pricing was able to reflect that. We'll see how that fairs for them going forward, now that the DT is aging and Ford/GM are introducing newer platforms that are competitive or even better in some respects.

What does any of that have to do with you singling out the current RAM? They don't have head gasket failures or timing chain stretch issues. They do have exhaust manifold issues, but so does everyone else's trucks (and SUV's in many cases), and they are often covered under warranty (ours was).

We've got about 60,000 miles on my wife's 1500 DT, and many of those are hard miles. I don't recall exactly what we paid for it after taxes, probably around $55K? I'd have to look it up. We absolutely have not had to spend "half that" on repairs, in fact, we haven't had to pay out of pocket for any repairs on it and it's still on the OE brakes.

It hasn't been problem-free, but it certainly hasn't had any repairs that would have been super expensive out of warranty to warrant such liberal use of the hyperbole with respect to repair costs.
Gets some miles on that puppy and report back in 2 years.,,

Are Stellantis vehicles sold in the US notably worse to own than those from GM or Ford?
Probably not.
Are they world class in terms of durability?
Probably not, just like the offerings from GM and Ford.
You pays your money and you takes your choice. I have about as much desire to have a pickup as my daily as I do to have a colonoscopy, but there are lots of folks who would disagree with me on that.
No problem. I suspect that any Stellantis offering would be as good as anything similar at a similar price point from any other maker.

I really loved my 2017 and 2019 Ram 1500 pickups and had basically no issues with them, but I only owned each until about 70K miles.

I don't think I missed it in this thread, but one thing about Stellantis vehicles of today that comes to mind is all the individualized subscription services that need to be purchased for them to do pretty much any computerized diag and programming for them. Shops at a minimum have to buy a "day pass" for lack of better terms to plug into them for many things. I know this is a thing today for lots of make/models, but I think for a "domestic", they're ahead of the game on this.
Actually it's not that bad. I pay a $50 a year subscription to Auto Auth that allows my scan tools to function thru their "gateway". There is also the free way to do it buy plugging cables directly to the gateway but that requires getting to the module so paying the fee is a bargain for my shop vs the time spent the free way. FCA/Stelantis is not the only OEM doing this - GM has started their own little BS as well.

We have rented a Chrysler Pacifica, it drove great, rode great, was very comfortable an got great mpg. The rear carpet was detaching and pulled away from the trim like it was too small, but other than that it was impressive. The guy at the rental place said they all do that and the Pacifica forums have loads with the same issues.

There are people on the forums that have had decent luck with their Pacificas, and there are enough that have had absolutely nothing but problems, enough that it raises enough concern that I'm leary of buying one.

I honestly think its a better van than the newer Siennas aside from the possible reliability issues and even though Toyotas are not what they used to be I still have more faith in the Siennas than the Pacificas.

Actually it's not that bad. I pay a $50 a year subscription to Auto Auth that allows my scan tools to function thru their "gateway". There is also the free way to do it buy plugging cables directly to the gateway but that requires getting to the module so paying the fee is a bargain for my shop vs the time spent the free way. FCA/Stelantis is not the only OEM doing this - GM has started their own little BS as well.
Link on whatever similar thing that GM is doing!

So what exactly does the gateway give you? Is that expanded proprietary functions, or you need that for basic OBD2?

I really loved my 2017 and 2019 Ram 1500 pickups and had basically no issues with them, but I only owned each until about 70K miles.

I don't think I missed it in this thread, but one thing about Stellantis vehicles of today that comes to mind is all the individualized subscription services that need to be purchased for them to do pretty much any computerized diag and programming for them. Shops at a minimum have to buy a "day pass" for lack of better terms to plug into them for many things. I know this is a thing today for lots of make/models, but I think for a "domestic", they're ahead of the game on this.
AlfaOBD and J Scan will allow you to reprogram a ton of functions and my $50 Autel AP200 lets me read and clear codes no problem. The only “problem” with AlfaOBD or J Scan is you need a “security gateway bypass” cable to allow it to talk to the car.

Looks like they have another recall on Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 for side air bag issues...Pieces of metal may be inside the air bag when deployed..

Are Stellantis vehicles sold in the US notably worse to own than those from GM or Ford?
Probably not.
Are they world class in terms of durability?
Probably not, just like the offerings from GM and Ford.
You pays your money and you takes your choice. I have about as much desire to have a pickup as my daily as I do to have a colonoscopy, but there are lots of folks who would disagree with me on that.
No problem. I suspect that any Stellantis offering would be as good as anything similar at a similar price point from any other maker.
Most common sense I've seen posted so far. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
Looks like they have another recall on Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 for side air bag issues...Pieces of metal may be inside the air bag when deployed..
Please list the recalls all the others have in place too.

I'll get you started, Thanks.

Back