Starting a generator in storage

Hi all,

I have a Honda EU22i which I have broken in and stored away.

Of course, I emptied all fuel, carb, closed valves and stored with a drop of oil on top of the cylinder.

I'm wondering if generators need to be started periodically - e.g once a year? I recall reading that they needed to be started and it was something to do with the health of the inverter?

Appreciate any clarification

that was the case with conventional generators (ie, ones with brushes) since it would demagnetize over time when not run (thus not creating electricity) this can usually be solved with the drill trick (ie starting it and rotating the chuck by hand, making it magnetize again)

id personally run it once every 3-4 months just to verify everything works, rather than have it be dead or a problem with it when I need it most.

I have to agree with Markopolo. Run it every 3-4 months against your target loads. That way it is exercised and you know it will be ready when actually needed. I start mine every 4-6 weeks without load, but run it at full load for an hour every 3-4 months.

No need to run it every 3-4 months. I store my EU2000i and run it once every year or two. When I have a power outage (usually in the winter or spring), I gas it up and start it up. no problems.
Some years I'll use it multiple times at home and also while camping. Other years it will sit in the garage unused.
If I haven't run it in over a year, I'll get it out when the weather is nice and run it. Then I'll change the oil, run it dry and store it away again.

Also, I mix fuel stabilizer and some 2-cycle oil (1oz to 5 gallons) in the gas. This mix is used for my generators and lawnmower (also burn it in my motorcycle to winterize it). I like the small amount of 2-cycle oil because when I run the engine dry, it leaves a thin film of oil that prevents corrosion in the carburetor and fuel tanks.

I worked for Generac for 10 years and a tester and repair tech, so take my 2 cents for what its worth. It certainly wouldnt hurt to run it every now and then, just to make sure that it still works and that it doesnt get demagnetized. I wouldnt be so worried about the engine but maybe I would be a bit concerned about the rotor and stator and its good piece of mind to know that if you need it to work one day, it will.
I used to work on Generac's home standby generators and those things are fully automated and would run themselves once a week, just so that you know they are going to work when you need them to. I dont think that you need to run it once a week but once a month or once every 3 months wouldnt be a bad idea.

I’m pretty sure there’s no need to run an inverter generator periodically, at least for demagnetization concerns. Unlike a traditional genset, the alternator is fired by permanent magnets spinning against a 3-phase alternator coil. its the traditional 2/4 pole gensets with a rotating field stator which rely on reisidual magnetism to prime. They can also be “bumped” by pulsing a few amps of 12v through the coils to re-energize the stator if needed. If you winterize the engine like you would a boat, it should be good to store.

Hi all,

I have a Honda EU22i which I have broken in and stored away.

Of course, I emptied all fuel, carb, closed valves and stored with a drop of oil on top of the cylinder.

I'm wondering if generators need to be started periodically - e.g once a year? I recall reading that they needed to be started and it was something to do with the health of the inverter?

Appreciate any clarification
I make it a habit to run my idled generators 1-2 times per year.

Back