Sta-Bil Compatability with PRI-G

Status
Not open for further replies.
I filled the bulk tank with Rec-91 Non-ethanol last June, figuring to burn through 300 Gallons before Winter. A jug of the Red Sta-Bil was added as a stabilizer because that is what the distributor had.

Long story short, we used less Petrol and more diesel this year on the farm, and now still have 160 Gallons left, and I am not trusting the Sta-Bil to hold the Gas untill spring.

Has anyone had issues adding PRI-G to Gas already treated with Sta-Bil?

The Gas will mostly be run through 2 cycle saws, a couple 4 cycle generators and a Polaris quad so no injector issues.

personally, I don't believe in all those unsubstantiated marketing hype RE: PRI-G, esp. when it comes to the claims of being able to restore otherwise rancid gasoline to like-new level....

My chemistry knowledge told me that once the gasoline has sufficiently disintegrated (esp. the armoatic, light/flammable portion, the most unstable part of gasoline) which leaves the heavy, sooty, varnish-like part of gasoline behind, nothing can chemically reverse that process.

With that in mind: I would not trust PRI-G but instead, double or triple the dosage of Sta-bil.

(**btw: been using sta-bil or it's variants for more than 2 decades now, never an issue with sta-bil **)

Q.

When you say last June, do you mean June 2012? If so, I would not worry about it. Non-ethanol makes a big difference.

I have a friend in the miltary who was out of country for 3 YEARS. Left his car in a garage untended never run, came home and it started fine (battery replaced).

I don't advocate this, but gas does not go bad in 6 months, especially your gas for your usage.

Last edited:
+1 on the over hype of PRI-G. I emailed Chevron awhile ago and they replied that nothing could bring back gasoline to a usable state. Its chemistry has changed. If you have old gas, either dilute it or dump it.

Thanks guys.

I don't buy into the "Rehabilitation" claims either, but have had iffy results from Sta-Bil as a long term preservative in the past.

The Local Marina and a couple other Farmers have had excellent results using PRI-G in thier bulk tanks for winter storage however, and am looking at the storage aspect alone.

A fresh shot of Sta-Bil would eliminate any concern over compatability I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back