Spray Painting car outside illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the kid sprays polyurethane, you'll know it in a hurry as it has a very strong unpleasant smell -- it smells like mayonnaise with a hint of vinegar.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: tgferg67
Hi,
My neighbor's son is spray painting his entire truck in his driveway(has no garage) about 7 feet away from my house. I'm worried about overspray. He is bipolar and cannot be talked to without a violent confrontation. I'm hoping it is illegal and can just call an authority, does anyone know?

Go tell the little sh!t to stop spraying because you don't want over spray all over your house end of story.
If he gets violent give him a crack.

Leave a video camera rolling from your property. Make sure he throws the first punch and you sound reasonable.

Back in the 1990's we sprayed buses outside and the neighbors got us a ticket, I think it was city ordinance. This is in Royal Oak MI
nowadays I am sure it is against EPA regs.

I offer no advise, other than I feel for you. I've worked in a Group Home in the past, with a person who had Bipolar Disorder. It is a very tough thing to deal with, not knowing 'which person' you are going to be dealing with that day. Tread carefully...

The family situation you outlined is just plain disgusting, but is par for the course these days. The decline in morality, the over reliance on the government, and the inability to pick yourself up and move on is quite sad.

Its not against EPA or even CA regs. A registered owner may paint 0-2 vehicles (varies by local Air District) per year, outside of a spray booth in CA.
Side note: A spray booth uses particulate filters - they do not capture VOCs, they are only controlling overspray and particles from fouling the paint job (unless some carbon adsorption filters are used for some reason - not common).

Complaints could go to local law enforcement, city code officers, dept of health, and local air district / state DEQ (whatever you have).

Most likely their response will be neutral and they will hope that you do not get any overspray on your property and the problem will go away. Overspray on your property would be a civil offense, in my non-expert opinion.

Good luck.

Obligatory:
Original.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back