Spent an hour looking for my strap wrench, oil still isn't changed 😒

I think I have at least three filter wrenches . That doesn't mean I wouldn't have to search for one , but I know they are in the garage someplace .

I think I have at least three filter wrenches . That doesn't mean I wouldn't have to search for one , but I know they are in the garage someplace .
Oh my wrench is somewhere, just not sure where yet. The dog knocks everything onto the floor, so that tool that's been sitting on the edge of the tool box for the last month may be underneath it now

I never realized how valuable a strap style filter wrench would be until I bought my motorhome. The huge filters on the 8.3 liter Cummins are never coming off with a jaw style filter wrench. I guess a clamping style end cap filter wrench would work, but I haven't seen one that is large enough for the filters on this engine. So the strap style is the ticket.

I never realized how valuable a strap style filter wrench would be until I bought my motorhome. The huge filters on the 8.3 liter Cummins are never coming off with a jaw style filter wrench. I guess a clamping style end cap filter wrench would work, but I haven't seen one that is large enough for the filters on this engine. So the strap style is the ticket.
Yeah it's the one on use, haven't had one it couldn't undo yet. Now if it's a smaller lawn mower sized filter, I have some big channel lock filter removal pliers that crush the filter, but it will take it off.

This is happening more frequently in my garage as my 7 year old takes my tools and puts them in his tool bag to carry around. My top drawer suddenly has only flathead screwdrivers.
My friend got his 7 year old (he's not so little anymore) a fanny pack and got him a some screwdrivers and other odd tools to put in and carry around.

They were at the Orthodontist for a consult for his older brother and Rich's little one noticed that the back of his chair was loose. He opened up his tool bag and fixed the chair. I think he was 7 years old at the time.

Yeah it's the one on use, haven't had one it couldn't undo yet. Now if it's a smaller lawn mower sized filter, I have some big channel lock filter removal pliers that crush the filter, but it will take it off.
I have a set of those ChannelLock filter pliers. Christmas gift from Dad and Mom one year. Very handy, if you've got the room/approach angles to get them in. Never met a filter yet they wouldn't remove.

My friend got his 7 year old (he's not so little anymore) a fanny pack and got him a some screwdrivers and other odd tools to put in and carry around.

They were at the Orthodontist for a consult for his older brother and Rich's little one noticed that the back of his chair was loose. He opened up his tool bag and fixed the chair. I think he was 7 years old at the time.
That's fantastic parenting, right there! Lol😃

You haven't changed oil very much then. I've had oil filters half crushed by the time they finally spun loose. This usually happens on a new vehicle for the first change
The roughest oil filter I've removed withstood a cap wrench+ a measured 50 ft. lbs. with a torque wrench and didn't budge. It was on a used vehicle I had just purchased, and I was afraid it was going to take surgery to remove it, but there is an app for that; a handy tool that I found out about from Trav on here. Now that I've purchased one I'll probably never need it but I have it. https://bogertaviation.com/products/talon-oil-filter-tool-up-to-1500-in-lbs
IMG_0056 Stuck Filter off.JPG

They need a lot of room though
Thus why I included "if you've got the room/approach angles to get them in". ;)

They do require quite a bit of free space around the filter for access, and I honestly prefer a cap-style filter wrench (and would never dream of using the pliers on the plastic cartridge cap on my 07 Mazda3). The way the filter is located on our 08 Accent is perfect for the pliers, though, as (iirc) there isn't great access to the end of the filter so cap-style wouldn't work. Been 6 months or so since I've been under it, memory is a bit fuzzy. 😔

Overall, the pliers are a nice option to have on hand, like an intermediate step between cap wrench and having to drive a screwdriver through the filter. Haha. They also come in handy for other large, round, awkward items around the house. Jar lids, cartidge-style water filters, etc.

Back