Speed Enforced by Aircraft

Jackson_Slugger

$50 Site Donor 2022
409157992_820423583460991_4218587068126760061_n.jpg

I saw some of those 'Patrolled by Aircraft' signs recently and was wondering if they mail the summons or signal ahead to a land based vehicle to issue it? I know this is the 'humor' forum but my question is serious.

I saw some of those 'Patrolled by Aircraft' signs recently and was wondering if they mail the summons or signal ahead to a land based vehicle to issue it? I know this is the 'humor' forum but my question is serious.

Not sure because in my part of NY they seemed to have removed most of the signs on the Western parts of the I90 "Thruway". But I assumed they mailed it to you based on your tags, which can be scanned at any exit now with EZ Pass...

Reactions: pbm
I’ve seen those signs a few times in NH, about a mile ahead of the staties waiting to hand out tickets. I don’t think they mail tickets, mostly because I’ve never received one.

I saw those signs in Florida and am wondering if there will be a ticket waiting for me when I get back to NY. I doubt there will be because everybody on I-75 was about 8 or 10 mph over the limit so I can't see everybody getting one.

In OH they time you overhead & OSHP land based cruisers are down range waving people over. Haven’t seen them in a while.

I’ve seen those signs a few times in NH, about a mile ahead of the staties waiting to hand out tickets. I don’t think they mail tickets, mostly because I’ve never received one.

They were designed to provide support to radio motor patrol cars on the roadway who were to issues the tickets. We called them "wolf packs." Important to remember when this strategy was popular roadway safety was actually the ultimate goal of this enforcement so the cost of fuel (pretty low back then) and an SP or Sheriff aviator was low.

Unfortunately, for decades vehicle and traffic enforcement has been a revenue generation machine for Mayberry as well as big cities, and certainly state budgets. This approach is bolstered heavily by insurance lobbies who make a killing off it. The proof is in the pudding. Most towns, cities, and state gov's show this expected coin on their line item budgets revenue side.

From a recent video I think in California, the hiway patrol had aircraft monitoring. They used markings a mile apart to calculate vehicle speed then radio ahead to waiting patrol vehicles.

Reactions: pbm
I saw those signs in Florida and am wondering if there will be a ticket waiting for me when I get back to NY. I doubt there will be because everybody on I-75 was about 8 or 10 mph over the limit so I can't see everybody getting one.

I'm pretty sure you can drive by a NYS Trooper doing just under 80 and they will not bat an eye. I think it is more HOW you drive above the limit, not if you are...

I’d like to think drones will be patrolling highways eventually, bringing down the cost of air patrolling, but really, pole mounted speed cameras are already out there depending on the jurisdiction. The drones will do a better job of looking for reckless drivers.

Had a few friends in the VSP (Virginia State Police) that did the aircraft patrolling for a time. Almost all of them absolutely hated it for one reason or another, mostly that it didn't jive with the real reason for being out in a car patrolling, and that was motoring public safety. Whether through voluntary compliance by mere presence, or actually witnessing and then detaining a violator, most folks I knew liked to go out and make sure everyone was safe. Sure there were some that liked to "hunt", but for the most part, this was not merely a revenue gathering mechanism like air enforcement was. Many times over the years VSP shelved the practice for cost reasons, only to bring it back during budget years. Most agencies found that having a unit in the median with the microwave cooking could accomplish both goals when needed at a much lower overall cost.

Off duty police here are some of the worst offenders.. wish they got tickets too.

Last edited:
Back