Spark Plug

This topic raises a question in my mind. Which penetrant would be preferable to use on spark plugs if one were to encounter one that doesn't easily break free?
None, the plug is sealed by a washer/gasket or tapered seat no penetrating fluid is getting by that ditto O2 sensors, the corrosion came from the unsealed combustion side. Notice it was an NGK plug with that does not need anti seize.

1713815194789.jpg
This spark plug is really sparking . :LOL:

Never had a bad experience with it
You must not have worked in a shop with a bunch of clowns. Anti seize on the the headband of the grounds guy's hat who would come in to foul our restroom was great sport. He certainly didn't have a good experience with it. On the serious side, all exhaust hardware I work with gets it. Saves a lot of grief down the road.

You must not have worked in a shop with a bunch of clowns. Anti seize on the the headband of the grounds guy's hat who would come in to foul our restroom was great sport. He certainly didn't have a good experience with it. On the serious side, all exhaust hardware I work with gets it. Saves a lot of grief down the road.
I used axle grease for that, don't waste the good stuff on shenanigans!

Never had a bad experience with it
I have - a previous “technician” applied too much anti-seize on the sparkplugs of my V70R. They were very difficult to remove. I thought I was stripping the head with the amount of torque it took.

I had to chase the threads a couple of times to get rid of the excess, before I could install the new plugs. Not the first time this has happened to me.

Anti-seize gets over-used, slathered on there, and makes things worse. Hydro-locks blind bolt holes, gunks up sparkplugs, causes problems.

A little bit, just a little bit, is all you need. Not gobs of the stuff!

I have - a previous “technician” applied too much anti-seize on the sparkplugs of my V70R. They were very difficult to remove. I thought I was stripping the head with the amount of torque it took.

I had to chase the threads a couple of times to get rid of the excess, before I could install the new plugs. Not the first time this has happened to me.

Anti-seize gets over-used, slathered on there, and makes things worse. Hydro-locks blind bolt holes, gunks up sparkplugs, causes problems.

A little bit, just a little bit, is all you need. Not gobs of the stuff!

that's true, it doesn't take much.

I should have said, I never had a bad experience with anti-seize I applied. I did have to deal with swollen brake slider boots and bushings from useing anti-seize there. But that's not the anti seize fault it's the numbnuts fault who used it on rubber

did the 99,4xxmi, 11-12 yr old plugs on the C-Max yesterday.
they didn't want to move at first, with the first time it went POP.. my mind went to oh heck, I don't want to break off a plug... went to the shelf, grabbed my can of PB Blaster... plenty of fluid inside, no gas... sat back, thought about it for a minute.... all you're hearing is the plug breaking free, not breaking the porcelain off.
all four of them popped a few times while i'm trying to get them started. all 4 came out intact, really didn't look too bad.

put a dab of nickel anti-seize (what i had on hand) on each of the new ones going back in. couldn't find my tube of dielectric, so hopefully no problems there

hopefully the next time they have to be changed ( in another 100k mi) , the next guy won't have the mini heart attack i just had...

Last edited:
Agree with @slo town. Spark plugs are too inexpensive to risk injuring the head. I change them every 20k on the Volvos.
I could get on board with 20k on my old Neon, easy peasy, right on top. Those things only like fresh copper plugs anyways.

On anything I have now, absolutely not. I got lucky and had someone else do our van while the intake was already off 2 years ago. I've started eyeing my truck and the back half looks a little rough.

I could get on board with 20k on my old Neon, easy peasy, right on top. Those things only like fresh copper plugs anyways.

absolutely... when i bought the old '05 SXT from my brother w/ 54k mi, he hadn't changed the factory plugs.
it ran fine... but as soon as i put fresh plugs in.. it was def. smoother and almost seemed like new.

Back